1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. SteelGuy

SteelGuy Senior member

Re concerts ...

Wayne Kramer from the MC5 ("Kick out the jams mother-frackers")
    Johnny Thunders
    David Johansen (post Dolls)

And on my folk side

Guy Clark opening for Townes Van Zandt -- Ella Guru's in Knoxville
    Jeff Lang

I think I'm a different generation than most of you :)

5 people like this.
  2. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

TL peeps:

[​IMG]

Might be interesting, though both times I've visited their store I left empty-handed.

2 people like this.
  3. leftofthedial

leftofthedial Senior member

@TheNeedMachine

I went into the store looking for Xmas gifts in December and it's gotten a loooot better since my last visit (2015?). I miss their by the pound store in East Point.

Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  4. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Beautiful day for thrifting...

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. leisurewear

leisurewear Senior member

1 person likes this.
  6. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Jeez if one of you is an 11 that should be a no brainer.

1 person likes this.
  7. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Senior member

If you have a Barneys Outlet near you they are having 75% off their clearance until Wednesday I believe. It started last Thursday so it's been picked and picked over again but I bought a Chistopher Raeburn bomber for $69, Kiton shantung ties for $26 and Simon Miller tees for $20. I saw Cifonelli moto jackets for around $170, MMM linen suit for around $200, and a pair Hender Scheme Prestos for around $120 (size 6.5 and one shoe was a display which had started to tan). It might actually be worth the time of the guys who have capital to flip a lot to call around and see what's at the stores out of their state.

4 people like this.
  8. otc

otc Senior member

Hows the sizing compare to AE? Generally fit an AE 11D.

They are C&J made right?

Tempted, although I might try bidding rather than BIN.

9. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Who the fuck need Kanye when you can rock Heiny
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  10. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Senior member

(Still looks better than your silver pumas)

... I'm kidding.

1 person likes this.
  11. DelegateZero

DelegateZero Member

Thanks, but it's actually the opposite - I know the model name and number, I just didn't want to dump it into the public domain. I was just offering to any SF members if they wanted to add it to their personal shell lists.

12. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Yes, C&J. I'm a 9D in AE and am a 9D in the Marlows, though as always YMMV.

13. otc

otc Senior member

Ok, fine, I bit.

I only clicked on this thread to make my first thrift/discount post in years to say that I got a good deal on an all-clad skillet...and now I've spent $250 on used shoes.

13 people like this.
  14. 330CK

330CK Senior member

Stuart's Choice/ Grenson Masterpiece 12d available

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Hit me up if they don't work for you.

16. leisurewear

leisurewear Senior member

linda sent me a msg and told me 3 of the 4 lots i bought from her were relisted by a technical glitch and already been sent to other buyers and that the one remaining lot would be shipped out today (paid for 10 days ago). funny thing is that the tracking number has already been uploaded for these items and are at my local post office, to be delivered tomorrow. No idea what I'll be getting in my mail tomorrow.

I had one other purchase from her (paid for on 1/9) that has yet to have a tracking number uploaded. My current hypothesis is that it'll be this item + the remaining lot mentioned above.

I know people have commented on how much bank Linda must be making (I agree) and I understand how many listing she has going on but you gotta think at what point does investing some time/money into quality control, training, IT, etc. create profit that surpasses that seemingly "lowest cost possible" she's currently applying to her business. Of course I'm going to keep buying from her because I'm either 1) flipping it or 2) finding stuff that is far below eBay market value for personal use and if it doesn't work out/damaged I'm running to the post office 4-5 days a week and have a lot of shipping supplies on hand already. If I was just a normal eBay consumer and went through the crap she's put me through already I'm most likely never going back. Probably why despite her huge following her auctions end at below market value many times. At the end of the day I guess I'm not trying to say she's not making bank but thinking about how much she's potentially missing out on by going about her business in this way.

1 person likes this.
  17. thebuddahman

thebuddahman Senior member

Hey guys. Good to see purp has been keeping up the UK end lately. I've been finding quite a bit but just no time to post or list lately. Been none stop with work, life etc. Will get to the good shit soon.

btw @Purplelabel - UK THRIFTERZ NEW CARDHOLDER SYNERGY MOTHERFUCKERRRR :slayer:
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

May Linda's Stuff always be the go to bargain bin! Just from browsing her items, it looks like she does the same as most retail stores and puts all of her emphasis on the women's items and the ladies working for her have little, if any, knowledge about mens clothing. Not an excuse for poor photography in any event.

19. CWOyaji

CWOyaji Well-Known Member

"By Appointment to H.M. Queen Elizabeth", etc. got my attention, anybody know about this maker?

Best I can tell they used to make school uniforms for english school kids but went out of business some time ago.
    Any nostalgic brits on the thread today? I bought it out of curiosity more than anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Senior member

I was wondering where you had gotten to! You outdo me everytime, nicely done my friend.

E thrift?