1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. mrcmcklwht

mrcmcklwht Senior member

Public enemy with run dmc 1988 I think. Nirvana, Ray Charles, lords of the underground at Roskilde. Sade !!!

1 person likes this.
  2. double00

double00 Senior member

Hmmm... i'm getting to that point in life when the bands of my youth are doing reunion shizz. saw Dean & Gene Ween over the summer, that was a lot of fun.

caught Chris Thile & Michael Daves live a couple years back and the Punch Brothers a few months before that. those were a couple good shows.

3. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Senior member

[​IMG]

Please say this is real... Please.

7 people like this.
  4. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

"You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill."

I've watched it a few times. I'm partial to:

"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving."

And of course the "I've seen horrors" soliloquy.

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

dont get me started on concerts, I've been to over 200 and I've seen U2 over 20x
    highlights are winning front row seats to kiss on the radio and gene Simmons bled on me

But the best show ever was the first show at the Garden that was after 9/11, was U2. my friend, who was my dads best friend who worked at Cantor Fitzgerald got me GA seats for the show but sadly passed away in WTC on 9/11. I bought a huge American flag to bring to the show and we were 2nd or 3rd back from the rail. the show was drawing to a close and U2 goes into Out of Control and brings out NYPD/NYFD to the stage. Literally everyone in MSG was crying their eyes out (this is 1.5 months after) and one of the FDNY guys spots my flag, yells down to me "Gimme that fuckin thing" and grabs it from me, goes back on stage, and drapes it on Bono's back. Bono did the rest of Out of Control with my flag on his back. He routinely says in interviews that this was the best show they've ever played.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

he takes my flag at 2:13 and puts it on Bono at 11:10

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

10 people like this.
  6. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Tag on a pair of made in Italy PRL pants. Corneliani?

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. jexbrah

jexbrah Active Member

Heading to NYC (first visit) in a couple weeks for 5 days and seems like there are quite a few people from new york here.

Any recommended places to check out? Thinking cool thrift places to check out, unique stores, attractions, etc. I'm all ears.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

As for concerts? The bands I've seen multiple times have all been worth seeing each and every time...

My favorite concert was the Hogmanay show at Stirling Castle (Scotland) with the opener being a bagpipes and drums review. Then the Proclaimers came on and closed out their set with Auld Lang Syne. Then a ceileidh band came on and the crowd partied until 2:00 AM. That was an awesome way to bring in 2008.

I've seen them five times live, and they have never disappointed me. I even got a request into them during the May 2009 show in San Francisco, dedicating a song to my then-girlfriend (we'd been dating for less than two months at the time). So yeah, it's hard to beat getting "I'm On My Way" dedicated to the women who is now my wife...

Otherwise, my favorite show this year was Elephant Revival at Red Rocks.

2 people like this.
  9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Follow the Ferrari. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

the thrifting here sucks, go to Jersey :)

6 people like this.
  11. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Springsteen. Multiple times; including the final show of the reunion tour at MSG. Still hard for me to believe I got into that one. <--Yes, that IS what I said.

3 people like this.
  12. 330CK

330CK Senior member

well can't beat that. squier bullet strat.

[​IMG]

13 people like this.
  13. SpooPoker

14. Purplelabel

The necks on those bullets are crazy good, I've used one daily for the last 4.5 years.

Crazy good.

1 person likes this.
  15. Principle

Principle Senior member

Is anyone attending the women's march in DC? Looking forward to getting my all black ninja outfit on.

2 people like this.
  16. 330CK

330CK Senior member

It's no home run. I'm really only a noob+. Squier is like a diffusion line for Fender. I've just wanted something cheap to noodle around on and at $10 I can't complain one bit.

2 people like this.
  17. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Spoo did you ever get the flag back though

18. SpooPoker

Sadly no. But memories.

19. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

I'd bet money that flag is hanging on the wall in a firehouse somewhere in the city. Probably signed by the whole band.

2 people like this.
  20. Purplelabel

Is this real, guyz?! I need to know, the label looks iffy to me.