1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. PierpontLeather

PierpontLeather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Looks like gator flanks, gator hornback, and weird bits or lizard running down the side.

Very odd.

1 person likes this.
  2. PierpontLeather

PierpontLeather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Not the good parts. Also looks to be some lizard skin on the sides.

3. JohnAAG

JohnAAG Senior member

From yesterday

Magnanni Crocodile Penny Loafers

[​IMG]

Some details

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alden Tassel Loafers

[​IMG]

Details

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Burberry Tie that needs a press, but no stains, pulls or flaws (unless it's fake)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I asked early about brands vs. style and what's worth picking up if I'm not going to use it personally but want to use it for trade. So I made a small investment in my education to get some feedback on these. Would you have bought them if avg PPU was $2.00?

Faconnable and Zegna ties. The Faconnable (to me) is a pretty ugly pattern. The Zegna is wide and it has what looks like 2 grease spots on the front (I'm going to see if my good drycleaner can do something about those). And of course I have no idea if the Zegna is real, but after looking at completed listings, I'm not even sure it's a "good" Zegna anyway.

[​IMG]

Details

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AE Randolphs. Uppers are in good condition, but they've been resoled. My size, but not really my style. If they're not worth much I'll keep them.

[​IMG]

Hart Schaffner Marx partially lined 2 button blazer. No fabric tags that I can find, but the material feels like a linen/wool/silk blend of some sort. No stains, marks, tears, pulls, or missing buttons. It's from at least 1993 (found an old wedding invitation in the pocket).

[​IMG]

Labels
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you in advance for any input you have! I really appreciate it!

John

1 person likes this.
  4. AlexJ1100

AlexJ1100 Senior member

Had a thought last night, I think its been discussed before, but if so, not executed.

What does everyone think about having a master excel list of members who frequent this thread, and then including each members social media accounts, online store, etc for anyone to reference? I see a lot of people ask (and have asked myself) "Who is xxx on eBay?" or "Who lives in the xxx area that could recommend thrifting/food spots?"

For starters I'm thinking the list would include; SF User Name, Instagram, Facebook (more for a store/blog, not necessarily personal), Twitter (is that still a thing?), eBay, Grailed, Etsy, Specific areas of knowledge (example - Impuntura with MCM, Fueco with outdoor gear, Spoo with skins/fur) and City, State they live in or have thrifting knowledge.

Ideally the list could be stickied somehow within this thread, but I'm not sure if that is possible. If not just create a new thread, leaving the list attachment in the first post and comments can be additions/revisions. I'm happy to create/maintain the list.

Thoughts?

3 people like this.
  5. JohnAAG

JohnAAG Senior member

@AlexJ1100 I for one would really appreciate a list like that. I've been trying to find people here on ebay one by one, so a centralized list would be a great resource.

Cheers!

6. AlexJ1100

AlexJ1100 Senior member

In other news, decided to create a Grailed account on a whim last night. Five minutes later...

[​IMG]

Should fit so NA at the moment.

One thing I didn't notice until just now. I assumed these were the Barrie last, but it looks like the boots they make for J Crew are Barrie, but those have the quick lace hooks at the top. These have normal eyelets, which from 5 minutes of Googling says they are direct from Alden, however those are on the Grant last. Anyone have much knowledge between the two? Sounds like Barrie is longer and wider (so size down) and Grant is longer but true width?

9 people like this.
  7. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

Back up off my metadata, bro! :D

BTW, those Alden's are beautiful. Great pull!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  8. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

7 Thumbs on a fit? thanks fellas. [​IMG]

must restart doing this more often. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Quesjac

Quesjac Senior member

Someone with a more comprehensive knowledge of Zegna tie tags can chime in and correct me, but something looks off about that tie to me. The back tag looks dodgy.

1 person likes this.
  10. SteelGuy

SteelGuy Senior member

[​IMG]

No further comment.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    20 people like this.
  11. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

Those are grant last and If anybody else is planning on bidding on the ones linda has up there not "Brown leather" there shell in cigar. I'm tapped out on them and not going higher but there still cheap for cigar.

12. AlexJ1100

AlexJ1100 Senior member

Zegna tag looks a little funky, but even if it is real, I would say its a bit too old to be "good" Zegna.

Been said plenty of times - If you like the pattern then awesome, I buy $2 ties all day that have no "value" other than I like them and wear them. I'd also avoid buying any ties with stains/runs, unless very minor, even if you are planning on wearing them yourself. A $2 tie, plus cleaning/repair, really starts to deteriorate savings, with no guarantee that that it will be truly fixed in the end. Of course, this is a different story if you are talking about newer/higher end ties.

And unless it is something really cool (some nice sport coat or insane jacket) I've never had a ton of luck with Facconable.

1 person likes this.
  13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Hey all, hope your 2017 is off to a good start. Cross post from the "Happy" thread by request:

Hope others can benefit from this. :cheers:

5 people like this.
  14. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

Nice!
    I just bought a New with tags Turnbull & Asser suit from her that had a tear right under the outside chest pocket and the pants were a different size from the jacket. Did have tags though :/. Of course I'm returning it and they're good about that but be ready for whatever comes....

15. SteelGuy

SteelGuy Senior member

Yes, her minions sometimes 'miss' those details. At first I thought they weren't looking, then I saw a picture cropped off-center to hide a defect. I've sent things back for all sorts of reasons ...

16. dral83

dral83 Member

@JohnAAG

I believe Viracle is a poly/wool blend.

1 person likes this.
  17. dukedishin

dukedishin Senior member

seeing how high those aldens are for linda just makes me think that there will never be an alden deal to be had from her again. too bad.

but then, she could just quickly turn over her staff in the know like always and it'll be back to normal soon.

18. AlexJ1100

AlexJ1100 Senior member

I don't think it had anything to do with her staff.

The bidding started at $89.99 and I've seen her start "lesser" shoes for the same price and start "lesser" or "equal" shoes for much more. I think enough people just search for Alden and Alden boots that those shoes naturally wouldn't fly under the radar. Plus most people searching for that type of Alden shoe can spot shell in a picture, and given it is a popular size, it only took two people to drive the price to that point.

19. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Nice. I got the 100K bonus points Chase has been offering for the new Sapphire Reserve card and already booked two free tickets to Europe for me and my wife next summer.

4 people like this.
  20. dukedishin

dukedishin Senior member

i didn't mean to imply she started there. i mean people are bidding it up and so the next time she has a pair of aldens to list she'll be like 'well this one went for $700 so might as well start this at $299.' can't do anything about it, just sad. Sad!