1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. AHS

AHS Senior member

Ha! Nice...

AHS

2. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

That's what HE said.

3. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Fuuuuuuuck!

6 people like this.
  4. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Hi @winny94 -

For food in SLC, my top three downtown are Copper Onion, Cafe Molise, and Em's Restaurant. Copper Onion is on the same block as a cool theater that shows indie movies (The Broadway), two secondhand modern furniture stores (The Green Ant and Urban Vintage), and a great used bookstore (Ken Sanders), among other things. For Mexican, Red Iguana is the place to go (not the mall food court one, the actual restaurant). For quicker food options, J Dawgs (hotdogs) on Main Street, Cafe Rio (Mexican), Este (pizza) and Hires Big H or Crown Burger (local burger joints that have been around for a long time) are places I like. If you want a great Philly cheesesteak and fries, Moochies is your place—and within walking distance of a decent record store (Randy's) and a thrift shop (Deseret Industries).

The SLC Public Library, also downtown, is beautiful, as are the botanical gardens though I'm not sure what they look like this time of year. The gardens are right next to the Natural History Museum. Of course there is Temple Square, which can be interesting for like 30 minutes or so if you want a peak at what the Mormons are up to. Hathenbruck in the only men's #fashion store in the state, carrying Visvim, Kapital, etc. Utah Woolen Mills at City Creek Mall carries Eidos, Isaia, Brioni, etc.

As for thrifting, if you want to fish a stocked pond, there's one decent consignment shop, though you'll have to drive (Namedroppers). If you hit the thrifts, the east side is generally better than the west side. A couple of stops are walkable from Frontrunner train stops (Frontrunner runs alongside I-15.) More are accessible if you're willing to transfer from train to bus, though it gets to be a hassle and you might end up waiting 45 minutes in the cold for a bus. If you want to do much outside of downtown, really, you're probably going to want a car. And Park City is a popular stop if you're willing to drive 45 minutes or so. If you like to ski, of course we have plenty of that.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    4 people like this.
  5. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Senior member

It's ok, we all make bad choices in our lives!

6. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

TWSS

2 people like this.
  7. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Super brief recap of the 2017 Golden Globes.

I didn't watch the red carpet, and only watched about half of the actual show, but here's what I liked:

Cuba Gooding Jr. in a blackwatch formal jacket:
    [​IMG]

Hugh Laurie in a smoove subtle tonal plaid:
    [​IMG]

Tom Ford rockin' Tom Ford (his film Nocturnal Animals was nominated):
    [​IMG]

Vince Vaughn in an Isaia tux:
    [​IMG]

The dude's jacket on the left - not sure who he is (winner for Zootopia):
    [​IMG]

That's all.

3 people like this.
  8. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

On the topic of SLC, I think @chetb summed it all up. There's another good restaurant called McKay's downtown has very good meatballs. Twss
    Feel free to pm if you want.

9. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Senior member

Tom Ford always looks sublime.

10. dukedishin

dukedishin Senior member

11. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

Not that it's a poll or anything but Hugh gets my vote! (Also, is it just me or does Cuba seem to be filling out that jacket just a tad too much? Love the style, regardless)

1 person likes this.
  12. JFST

JFST Senior member

And his movie is very good, gyllenhaal is terrific.

13. Sartoriamo

Sartoriamo Well-Known Member

I hit every thrift/consignment in SLC pretty hard on a multi-day business trip to SLC past year. Despite being a "heavily suited" city, I agree with @Fueco that those suits are largely not anything we'd be interested in, so it was slim pickin's until I hit a nice little consignment store. Darned if I can remember the name, but it might have been Decades. Just a little south and east of downtown, IIRC. A little hole in the wall, with the usual tiny mens section all the way to the back. Cleaned out a rack of Isaia, Paul Smith, Zegna suits and some other stuff at 50-75% off, so obviously it wasn't moving, and it all flipped really well. Some super-loud pinstripes in great colors. I think some LV shoes too. So worth a look in there, as the owner does like to deal: "if I buy ALL this, what can you do for me?" Most of the rest was wasted time, although I found one stunning HF linen pinstripe suit at Deseret. I think I filled one standard medium Home Depot box, that I sent home by UPS, but I'm pretty picky. YMMV, and as we know, there are always surprises.

Just grab a cheap rental car from the airport. It's too spread out and awkward an area to do by public transport. You can deduct it against your proceeds.

1 person likes this.
  14. double00

double00 Senior member

whoa folks drawing maps in here today.

2 people like this.
  15. drlivingston

It is not just you. Cuba has definitely expanded his borders.

1 person likes this.
  16. double00

double00 Senior member

eddie redmayne could rock a burlap sack with none problems

btw, did anybody else notice that Sly and Carl Weathers haven't aged a day since 1986?

17. drlivingston

Unfortunately, the same can not be said for Sly's mother... egads...

18. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I was intentionally vague. But I also really don't remember which shops were good. That's why you just hit them all. I'll be in the SLC some time this year.

On a side note, I just walked through a J.Crew Factory store, and it reinforced why their shirts don't resell for much. Everything that looked cool was $20.

19. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

These squares are even better than I thought they'd be:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11 people like this.
  20. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Sly has def aged ,Carl filled out a bit but looks real good for his age.