1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

2. Shanejosephxxx

Shanejosephxxx Senior member

A quick pop in to my local spot before my longer thrift trip tomorrow. Don't have full pics of this coat but I was looking for opinions. It's a Martin Greenfield overcoat. Couldn't find fabric contents anywhere but the order sheet was still in the inside pocket. What do we think it says next to cloth? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17 people like this.
  3. LetsGetWeird

LetsGetWeird Senior member

Highlights from the last two weeks of 2016, most true thrift, some well above thrift but well below consignment prices

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AE Shell Patriots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone know the maker?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...and highlights of the highlights

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

41 people like this.
  4. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Vicuna cash, of course

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  5. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Thanks dude!

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

+1 but you have an order number so I would call MG directly and get a confirmation for an "appraisal". Should be an easy thing to look up with all the info. Nice one.

2 people like this.
  7. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Vicuña/Cashmere? Pretty sure MG has vicuña as an option

2 people like this.
  8. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

It may be for others but not me as I'll break it down then you tell me Fodder is worth it. It comes down to taxes as I stated. I'll use a filson shirt I just sold as an example.

Thrift price $7.99
    Sold $29.99 + $6.50 ship=$36.49
    $36.49-$3.65 Ebay fees
    $32.84-$1.62 paypal fees
    $31.19- $6.50 shipping
    $24.69- $7.99 original cost
    $17.13-Tax
    9.9% state
    25% Fed
    15.3% self employment
    Overall tax rate=50.2%
    Profit on filson shirt $8.50

So $8.50 and let's say it took me an hour to find it picture it list it and ship it. There's not a great return on them as there used to be. That's why Fodder gets left behind.

8 people like this.
  9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Whether it's worth it or not depends more on volume than on individual listings. If I can make $8.50 on each of, say, 50 items per week in addition to making $10+ on another 50+, I think it's worth my time. For a few item, as a side gig? It probably wouldn't be worth it unless I was selling stuff locally for cash.

10. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Damn that's a quality post right there.

11. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

You already burned time and gas going to that store whether or not you buy that specific item. Can't get that back. The only question is whether or not you'll make money after the fees and time spent photoing/listing.

So let's say you spend 45 minutes driving to the store and picking it. Then it takes 10 minutes to list the shirt. You can either get $8.50 for 55 minutes of work or $0 for 45 minutes of work, assuming that's the only thing you buy.

1 person likes this.
  12. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

I was referring to the Kiton ,even if it sold for 150 that you referenced.
    If ur not getting more then 150 for a kiton cashmere then ur doing something wrong .
    Brianpore who I consign with (shameless plug) routinely gets 150 for ordinary Canalis..
    Not being critical just saying,maybe you need to invest in better pictures etc.

3 people like this.
  13. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

Just wanted to get out of the house for a while today. Real mixed bag of stuff. The Alan Flusser book was free :D Powell Peralta Alan Gelfand vintage graphic re-issue shirt, nice Borrelli shirt, Mountain Hardware fleece tunic thing is womens but doesn't fit my girlfriend (available, if you have a need), $1 Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young vinyl in quite nice condition
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

I see what you were saying now,i reread your post.sorry still hungover.
    But my statement still stand if your getting kitons at true thrift and ur selling them for 300 what's the problem.
    But you should be getting more then that .

15. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I never pick up fodder. Unless you're running an ultra-efficient operation it's just not worth it.

16. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

But you can get gas back: https://www.irs.gov/uac/2017-standard-mileage-rates-for-business-and-medical-and-moving-announced

---

I'm regretting not picking this up NWT for $30: http://aloheadsodyssey.blogspot.com/2008/09/ralph-lauren-polo-horse-head-pocket.html

I didn't think Lo Heads wore pocket squares.

2 people like this.
  17. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Good Start to the year
    Skeet,linen skeet
    [​IMG]
    Etro
    [​IMG]
    Burberry Brit
    [​IMG]
    Bonobos, Patagonia, orvis, southern Tide
    [​IMG]
    Patagonia, Bonobos, Vineyard Vines
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

You also get all sorts of tax deductions for running a business.

My taxable income last year(edit: I'm referring to 2015) was something like $13,000; off of a $43k actual income.

19. bpk1

bpk1 Senior member

Can also run a sick solo 401k/SEP IRA through the business which would also decrease that tax bill.

1 person likes this.
  20. leisurewear

leisurewear Senior member

@the2ndhandman I think the tax part is a little misleading since you don't take into account mileage and other expenses you deduct to your income before you get to taxable income. I think the better metric is to take the $17.13 pretax profit and figure out what your listing/measuring time is. Leaving it means you're already out in the field so the time you spent getting there and going through the racks is already invested. At this point the only time left is inventory, measuring, photographing and listing. Let's just say, very conservatively it takes you on 15 minutes per item on the above on average. This translates to a wage rate of $68 an hour of pretax income you're passing up. Let me know if I've missed something

2 people like this.