1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. JohnAAG

JohnAAG Senior member

Thanks! Hopefully this wasn't a one time find

1 person likes this.
  2. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

I found a Patagonia navy blue blazer yesterday. 1/2 lined with like windbreaker material. It was a real head scratcher. Left it.

1 person likes this.
  3. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I'd love to see that. They haven't made those for almost 30 years...

4. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Size 13 stubbs (available)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    50L oxxford clothes

13 people like this.
  5. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Overdue enthusiastic shoutout to @bpk1 for a killer trade that netted me LBM 1911 and Billy Reid sportcoats. Thanks again, man!

2 people like this.
  6. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

I looked for a season tag but didn't see. Looked pretty minty so I didn't think it was that old. Shoot me a PM if you want a proxy. I think that store does all sport coats around $5-$7.

7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

It's a bit heartbreaking when you find four shell shoes, but only one pair!! They're all Brooks Brothers.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. GM-H

GM-H Senior member

Nothing earth shattering but most of it is from a stuff-a-bag-for-$10 so the PPU is something dumb like $.75

[​IMG]

NWT J Brand, NWT agnes b.(not sure if mens or womens, tag says pantalon garcon)
    [​IMG]

Chinolino and what feels like linen/silk PRL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lulu, medium, i think mens....
    [​IMG]

Recentish Zegna (16)
    [​IMG]

Pop on the Holland and Sherry, no tag is Paul Stuart
    [​IMG]

Odd Ferragamo womens fleece with sweeeeeeeet buttons
    [​IMG]

big guy WW Chen cut in 2007
    [​IMG]

42L, 130's, dual vent, FF pants
    [​IMG]

Brooks cashmere lined (NA) and Andover Shop made in england "hogskin" peccary
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cant really find anything on the 15th Lancers, besides the fact that they were a Cavalry Regiment in the Indian army
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Love the Johnnie tie
    [​IMG]

Pop on Sandro
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uniqlo fishtail for me
    [​IMG]

Oakley Silver
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18 people like this.
  9. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

[​IMG]

!!!!

18 people like this.
  10. double00

double00 Senior member

^^^ sandro looks sweet. i've had waking fantasies about grailing out on those fill-a-bag deals but alas i never find shit.

11. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

Guys I did a think and ordered a kitchen overhaul on Amazon since I that's the one thing I haven't come across in the thrift (knives/pans/pots etc)

(Please don't tell me I did the thing too fast and one of you has many of the above items chillen)

12. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I happened to be near this shop today, so I popped in to take a look at them. Even though @thebuddahman offered me some sound advice on how to approach it, I just went for it and shot him an offer. I'd love to hear what the watch guys think of them. Haven't opened them, but I assume a watch place would be the best place to do that. The owner said they came from a collection of watches an old guy had, but I'm not too sure. What model is the one that just says "automatic?" I'm sure the photos are a bit better than the real condition of the Geneve.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9 people like this.
  13. Shanejosephxxx

Shanejosephxxx Senior member

14. HansderHund

Really? Thanks! Unfortunately, they weren't thrift prices, though I'd have been happy to pay €2/each :happy:

15. thebuddahman

thebuddahman Senior member

@HansderHund

You got the urge!! ;) I hope they work out for you. I'm thinking 60s for both of them and the automatic will net you slightly more. The Geneve one is almost definitely a hand wind. Do they work and keep good time? I would get yourself a cheap watch tools kit from eBay and open them up yourself (unless you know someone who can do it for you). You won't do any damage. The geneve looks like it's a screw down back and the other is a 'pop off/push on' type. Obviously you want the movements to be engraved with Omega. Exciting. Get to the watchuseek forums and research - it's the best part!

Ball park figures from me (if everything checks out, if in good vintage condition generally, keeping good time and after a service) are £300 for the geneve and £400 for the automatic. Lots of variables though.

2 people like this.
  16. HansderHund

You're spot-on with your information! Guy said (and they certainly look) '60s. The Geneve is a hand wind. I'm going to follow your advice and get a tool kit...you're sure I can't mess anything up (too much)? I'll start reading up on them. I have passed on a number of watches due to lack of knowledge, but I'd certainly like to change that.

I offered him €400 on the spot for both and he jumped at it. I was afraid that I came in too high, but it was close to closing and end of the year, maybe he just wanted them gone. He offered to take them back should they have any serious problems, but said they'd almost certainly need serviced.

Really appreciate your help and information!

17. thebuddahman

thebuddahman Senior member

He sounds genuine so hopefully together with your feeling about the deal it will work out for you. Thinking about it now, maybe don't even try to wind the watch and instead get them straight off to someone who knows what they are doing for a service. If they've been sat idol for ages then hand wound movements aren't going to enjoy suddenly being messed with. Think of how dry the movement will be in terms of lubricating oils etc (TWSS). With the automatic it's not so bad. With a few little shakes does it start to tick? (TWSS...am I doing it right @SpooPoker?)

In terms of opening it up yourself its up to you. For peace of mind maybe just get them sent for servicing and don't even mess about. I'm a little more gung-ho with my hobbies!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    2 people like this.
  18. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Can any art folks point me in the right direction to find out if I have something here or not? Rolled the dice on this since it was cheap, I found a small snippet online about the artist (which I am guessing is usually a good sign of a "known" artist) and it looks old. A Google search turns up just that, a small snippet with a birth date and a date of death. Nothing more. It could also be by some random person with the same name. Who knows. Worst case is I that I now have a gift for a white elephant gift exchange next year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    2 people like this.
  19. 330CK

330CK Senior member

A quick search revealed no auction records or dealers offering her work, so unless that information is hiding deep in Google, it will be decorative value only. It has a good look to it, so the decorative value in a gallery setting would be roughly 100-300, depending on the area.

2 people like this.
  20. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Thanks for the help! Might actually get a decent frame for it and hang it somewhere if I can't find it a home.