1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

2. winny94

winny94 Senior member

RL experts, whats the value on something like this? Advertised as a women's lg, but no label pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

4. Woofa

Woofa Senior member

Big shout out to Mr sinister for the great Christmas deal. Deets when the item arrives. Thank you sir.

5. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

Just picked this up. I bid on it last night and the seller messaged and said they would end early if and asked for payment so I obliged. Not a bad deal for a NWT full cashmere loro coat for 300 isn't a bad deal. They have 3 more listed if anybody is interested.

6 people like this.
  6. Tradvocate

Tradvocate Senior member

Those are very sharp

7. double00

double00 Senior member

[​IMG]
    Vtg glasswater

[​IMG]
    Vtg docs

Happy holidays to all my thrifters!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    4 people like this.
  8. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Merry Christmas, everyone!
    Awesome finds. Pretty sure that Filson is their Forestry Cloth Cruiser. I found one a couple years back and it gets a lot of wear. I sent pics to Filson and they told me mine was from the 40's. That wool shirt looks like a WWII (or possibly Korea) era wool field shirt.

9. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

1 person likes this.
  10. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I've used:

Lexol, works well, but slow.

Turpentine, fast, but messy, and you'll need to brush the shoes A LOT until the turp smell goes away. I sort of prefer lexol, but the turp was really good getting all the gunk out of the welt.

Followed up with AE cordovan creme at the end. I posted my results on the shoe care thread, but in my case I was dealing with burgundy wax on burgundy shell, don't know if black on burg would make a difference. Please forgive the HORRIBLE photography. The pictures don't do justice to how BAD they looked before, or how GOOD they look now, but if you want a look you can find that here post #18888 and a better picture here post #18891.

Also, vcleat.com has an article on using heat to get rid of wax on shell.

Saphir is expensive; and I believe you want to use Renomat for stripping, followed by Renovateur for conditioning. If thats the way you want to go.

1 person likes this.
  11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Somewhat thrift related. My wife's gift to me. She knows me well. VW's and records are a couple of my long-time hobbies. Why not combine both?

I guess a Japanese company made a limited run of reproductions, but they sold out super fast. So she tracked down this original from the 70's. She found it on Etsy. Found in a thrift store in LA (of course...). Super cool. Definitely a novelty piece more than anything, but wow. Never knew something like this existed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15 people like this.
  12. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Very cool, but a warning I saw posted somewhere. Those things will trash the grooves in records over time, so use sparingly.

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yeah, the guy who sold it to her told her that as well, so she passed the info on to me and told me not to play any of my "good" records with it. Haha. Using a beat-up copy of the White Album. Definitely a novelty, but so cool.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  14. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

Since Nataku popped the cherry on showing off our Christmas gifts, I'm too excited about this to not share. My girlfriend hooked me up in a major way this Christmas. I've been wanting a print from one of my favorite artists for a long while now and they always sell out before I can get my hands on one. San Francisco based dude named Kim Cogan. Hand signed museum quality print with signed COA. 1 of 100. Can't wait to get it to the framers. Hope everyone else got awesome stuff!
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  15. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I remember when the repros came out - came "this close" to buying one but ended up not. They look like hella fun though!

I was gifted an Oculus VR headset, and after a few beers I did the set up and all...and it really messes with your brain. Nearly fell down the stairs because I ended up walking around with it on, exploring stuff. If you get one, stay seated, and out of reach of anything you can knock over (I did involuntarily reach out for something a couple times and knocked over a beer).

6 people like this.
  16. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Thanks for the feedback on cleaning up Shell. I'm making progress slowly... if I'm going to own a pair of dress shoes, they might as well be awesome. These fit well. Not a bad price, and they came with trees.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Oh, and discount shopping for presents? My wife and I got six prints of the Northern Lights. The backlit one is a picture I took in September near Banff, Alberta and ordered from Backlitbox.com for half price.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  18. double00

double00 Senior member

[​IMG]

19. rhyme

rhyme Senior member

My prayers have been answered! Nordstrom just opened up a Last Chance store across from my work. Its exactly like going to a thrift store, they stock randomly throughout the day and people are just lined up like vultures for them to yell "go". Chicago people. If you need the 411 then hit me up but dont bring your girl, It will leave a major dent on your wallet.

Mix bag of goodies from thrift and LC.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thrifted and its real nice with Lampo Zippers. In my size so n/a
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Suit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For me, Finding quality fragrance is like finding Kiton. Under the 10% rule
    [​IMG]

12 people like this.
  20. SpooPoker

what scent is the creed candle?