1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. thebuddahman

thebuddahman Senior member

Tag doesn't seem to match the older ones I've seen when searching google images though. Any other thoughts as to who made it?

2. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

Spent the morning thrifting with my brother. Then got a delicious lunch with the fiance. Not a bad day.

Shoes
    [​IMG]

100% cashmere. 42.
    [​IMG]

Hood is attached.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Thank's, Linda!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    16 people like this.
  3. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

That's incredibly helpful! I know they functioned...the face looked original, but that's about as far as I got. You're right in that there are so many variables, that it would take some time to figure out whether it was reliably worth the money or not. Unfortunately, I love the thrill of going with my gut and taking a spin on something (or not). With watches, this attitude can cost one quite a bit of money quickly! I may just grab the cheap one for myself. If I end up a winner, it's a trophy, if not, I learned a €150 lesson.

Now that I wrote that, it sounds like a terrible strategy and instead, I should probably spend a bit of time on the forum you mentioned. :nodding: It was at an antique shop, so it's doubtful that they'll be gone anytime in the next week or two. The problem is that it's in the city center, and parking is always a pain. I'll see if I can get to him before the new year and grab some photos.

Again, I really appreciate your help/direction!

That's a great episode. Livia also says it about Tony to Anthony, Jr. while she's in the hospital. Junior is just about my favorite character, my wife and I liked the name "Corrado," even though no one was shy in telling us how terrible of a name that would be for a child.

2 people like this.
  4. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

"Missed it by a cunt hair"

Junior Corrado

4 people like this.
  5. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

"Anthony is a cunt hair away from running all of north Jersey, and I am that cunt hair."

1 person likes this.
  6. 1ofTheCoolKids

1ofTheCoolKids Senior member

7. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

I fucking loathed Seinfeld.

1 person likes this.
  8. eazye

eazye Senior member

Probably my favorite VW model ever, with the window bus coming in a close second.

3 people like this.
  9. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

If anyone's lucky enough to get to a collection of 1950s/1960s classical vinyl before it's picked over, I'm a serious collector. Send me a PM.

In terms of desirable records, you can look to tailored clothing for an analogy: you're looking for Kiton amongst the CK and JAB. Some people will never find Kiton.

Valuable classical records will almost always be Stereo pressings. Typically you're looking for violinists. That Rabin record is a good one--but only the Stereo pressing is desirable. Serious collectors won't want the Mono version (though it is a nice listen and will certainly sell). As a rule, there is a wide gulf between the value of a Mono pressing and the value of a Stereo pressing. The Stereo version could be worth $100, and the Mono $5. And everything depends on condition. You can't have noise in the pauses.

Original Living Stereo Shaded Dog 1S pressings; UK-made Columbia SAX pressings; wide-band Decca Stereo; Gold-Label HMV; London Blue-Back--that's what you want. They are impossible to find, though.

2 people like this.
  10. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I think this is my favorite thrifted sculputre. Koa wood honu...

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  11. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

I just walked out of my first Goodwill Outlet store. How do people tolerate them? I got to my car and literally bathed in hand sanitizer and still feel dirty.

11 people like this.
  12. 1ofTheCoolKids

1ofTheCoolKids Senior member

My FAVE, has to have a manual transmission though!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Nm

14. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Got it re: mono/stereo. Sooo ... the exact opposite of jazz records.

15. Principle

Principle Senior member

[​IMG]

Out of curiosity does anyone recognie this label?

1 person likes this.
  16. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Things have been slow around town lately. Slim pickins would be an understatement. I did find one thing worth buying yesterday, though. Likely the most comfortable slippers I've owned. $5. Beats running to the mailbox in my Clarks sandals.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I own the Corrado's older and slightly more angular brother.

[​IMG]

I remember sitting in a brand new Corrado G60 at the Minnesota State Fair's VW booth as a kid. Also oogled over the GTI (I think it was 1992). My mother tossed all the car brochures I used to collect from the state fair. Wish I still had em. Called up the VW dealer asking for brochures when I was about 5 and my mother caught me. They must have loved my enthusiasm for VW's, as they mailed me a promo VHS of that year's VW's. Was about 20 minutes long. Also wish I still had that.

3 people like this.
  18. Pierson v Post

Pierson v Post Senior member

So it's not just the one in Palm Beach... good to know they are all like that.

1 person likes this.
  19. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Thread first?

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. AlexJ1100

AlexJ1100 Senior member

Couple small things

Someone's vintage BB collection
    [​IMG]

Champion Reverse weave (us made) and nautical sport
    [​IMG]

Also, if anyone went to Mankato State University (Minnesota) let me know. There was a sweet old crewneck for the school at a nearby goodwill, I just didn't pickup given the small audience.

2 people like this.