1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Never heard of those rappers. IMO Sir Mixalot SWASS is greatest rap album of
    all time.

"the AMG kit keep us closer to the ground"
    "Gotta '87 Vette with a fat gas peddle"

There are so many great lines in that album.

2 people like this.
  2. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

It was an independent release, master p cut him loose and distanced himself from him after that whole shit went down

3. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Well your favorites are from 3 decades past. Rap, just as all art forms naturally do, evolve and change with the times somestimes slowly, however with Rap, Extreme changes made in very very short periods of time.

Boogie Down Productions fan, or were they too lyrical and street while you were more of the pop rap type?

2 Live Crew?

Kool Moe Dee?

P.E.?

Schooly d?

etc etc?

4. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Oh excellent, a record release without even an idenpendent backingby a child murderer serving his sentence....change my guess, 5k sales first year tops.

The key for album sales to occur is for them to be accessible to consuemers, this is the point of record labels etc...

But he has no financial backing and Apple isn't gonna put his shit on itunes ever.

Cd stores don't exist except for like 2 racks at Barnes and Noble and it aint showin up there ever.

Where in the Hell is he even gonna be given the ability to attempt to sell Cds..........Malls in the Ghetto, sold in the parking lots. Only option.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  5. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Well regardlless I come with good news, currently it's quite awful, but the late 80s were pivotal purely based on the the skiyrocketing commercial success of the genre. The DJ stopped being the star, the MC become Supreme, soon after came some the best lyrcists and artistss in the history of the Art, while the evolution of production, only mastered by few at the time caught up quite quickly. 19992-1996 was a 4 year period in which many of the best rap albums of all time were released. And except KRS and Chuck D, evolved lyrically so much further than the late 80s MCs that they don't even sound like the same genre of Music..

in otherwords, Sir Mixalot, well he was very very thoroughly dethrrowned, by the new age following.....I'd actually say more or less, forced into exile/retirement.

So my apologies to inform you that you get to create a brand new opinion now if you wish, because that one you have.....I'd more or less never tell anyone that again, that would be a start.

1992 -1994Mobb Deep - Infamous - have fun...Sorry my apologies 1992 they released Juvenile Hell, they were 16, this was not good.

1992 Dr.Dre The Chronic, Showbiz & AG Runaway Slave (the first group of the new generation, the MC the star the DJ is the producer, great album, Redman - Whut thee ALbum, and probably just Ice Cube - Predator, 3rd solo release pst NWA and 3rd best post NWA, however he was still hard as hell and an excellent writer nonetheless.

The first appearance of the true NY Scene popped up Diamond D- PSychotic Neurotics, not great, but pivotal historically.

The rest I don't think would be up your ally, but if you are afraind of a few bad words well

the first UGK album - Too Hard to Swallow also Kool G Rap (one of the bests ever) and DJ Polos first release too.

don't buy Kriss Kross.

1992 essentials covered. have a fun few months

I just looked up the year, although Ithink this group 50% was horrible some people would find it blasphemous if omitted so here

gang starr - daily Operation

and then one im shcked at myself for forgetting, the sophomore and rairlly happening but it did, superior then debut release, one of the first true lyricsists in the game, Lord Finesse - Return of the Funky Man

everything else is a waste of time.....now you can learn what real hip hop is, then have fun trying to figure out what you think Sir Mix alot was doing.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Senior member

That Brioni SC... Shieeeet. And I was excited about finding a Hackett Cashmere/Silk/Cotton jumper.

I need to sort my priorities out.

1 person likes this.
  7. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Mid 80's I liked Whodini and LL Cool J ( who 30 years later is still relevant). Everyone listened to 2 Live Crew just because. The black guys at school thought it was cool I listened to rap because back then not many white kids did. One of them told me to check out these white guys from NYC that he heard an ep of....might have heard of them, the Beastie Boys. Also listened to a lot of NWA and Eazy E in the late 80's early 90's. Then I like mah and sold all the stuff. Only things I kept was SWASS and De La Sol.

Modern stuff all I have is a Mike Jones bootleg my buddy gave me.

8. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Even if that album has both the original version and the Chopped and screwed version of Still Tippin feat Slim Thug and Paul Wall, that last sentence is the saddest thing I've ever read.

Imagine telling someone theyre going to the future, and instead you just fucking drive them to like Bakersfield California....thats one of the worst things I've ever heard someone do to a person.

1 person likes this.
  9. carreragt7

carreragt7 Senior member

Are either of these the good Palm Beach?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Yeah it's that version. My buddy says the other stuff he did isn't as good. And I'm 49 years old, work in real estate accounting for a Fortune 500 company. Not really up on what's hip rap wise. Maybe you need to talk to my 12 year old on that.

And Jomspro... if the 80's stuff is so weak...why do people go nuts over Polo and Jordan's from that era? I had that stuff new.

11. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Weeellll NWA only had one album and one tour before they split unfortunately. Eazys solo career was Meh, and NWA without Cube is like the Lakers without Kobe, dude wrote all the lyrics to every song for everyones verse. THe DOC however did step in and did an excellent job.. As was his debut album and only reelase as well Stictly Business (shortly after got in a crash and riipped all his vocal chords)

LL Cool J has made a banger since that one Boyz II Men song.....so thats like 20 years ago or so, so you can go aheadd and forget about him......2 live crew never Contained talent they just said shit that the government didnt like nor did anyones parents, so who cares there,

Mike D died of Cancer so the Beastie boys arent really doing much....or well they are done.

Whodini could very welll be dead I have no idea

Soul released 3 feet high and the Stakes is high...fell offf hard, and the in like0 05 made a little noise but the album wasn't them and totally sucked......SO YAAAY alll your childhood favoreds are dead or goen or retireed or still shitty.....he

Obviously no one is going to agree with me on this call, but if you just wanna skip ahead and listen to probably the all around best debut album of all Time. Just buy Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt and listen through. If the future you know is has Mike Jones as #1, well get comfrotable and safe cuz your gonna learn thats not the case....

Others will say Wu-Tang or Illmatic or Ready to Die etc etc...but Reasonable Doubt is perfect, Becuase it's mulltiple different produces, giving you a more well rounded idea of the Sound, More tracks, very conceptial, Brilliant, and one of the best rap Albums of all time.

Illmatic is amazing however is 10 tracks all produced by the same man and rapped by the same man, its excellent but not a full tasting platter. Biggie more or less purely Gangster rap with a Love song thats not at all a love song and more a song about smoking blunts and getting head in his jeeps or jacuzzi, with sub par production 50%......And Wu Tang 36 Chambers is the equivalent of taken a run on the Bunny slope and thinkking your good to go on a double black.....ease into that.....

So yea your old favorites and whatever all suck and are dead and gone or whatever but silver lining, the albums above are Early -mid 90s works of Art....again....work up to Wu-Tang....they literally got signed on their 9th meeting with Rifkin, with all 8 previous labels intending to sign them. However then they walked in and met a group of the truly most ghetto grimey gangster fucking dudes ever....and ODB the Grou[s resident crack addict and Criminally Psyhoitic.

12. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

80s is not weak, the 80s was the beginning. They weren't close to tapping into true potential due to the necessity of find mainstream appeal and a fear of losing it. Rap need first to become acccpeted. Once the art form became accepted, then it was able t show the worlds its true potential becasue artists didnt hold back they rapped their lives etc etc....I mean NWA had the first explicit album and had the president talking about Fuck the Police. Dudes were tip toing....also they were yet to find the true sounds that matched the genrea, it was still heavily 70s pop synth influenced and stuff, It was really coming together. I believe Public Enemy as well as DJ Jazzy Jeff and Run DMC began the true sound of a new genre of mucis. But the decade idolized pop icons with minimal lyrical ability and less content in which to speak. there were classic songs made, but besides made LL Cool J's Radio in 85 and Public Enemies releases, the other stuff just wasn't even coming near to trying to broadien and innovate. It was alll poppy and conformity.

It took the Media to start broadcasting hypermsyognistic shit from 2 live Crew for the parentss to garner attention, and once that occured, mainstream was reached, Cuuz obiously if your parents say no, you buy it and hide it. Late 80s it was the birth of exclplicct rap....me? firguring out how to hide alll of my bongs in my room, cuz one spot and they all got found and I almost lost my prized possessions....See same shit.....I dunno why I needed so many of those things....

13. carreragt7

carreragt7 Senior member

http://rapnation.net/forum/

This is a pretty cool thing I just found googling. It appears to be a forum all about Rap! Pretty sure there are at least 761 threads on it that are more appropriate for posting non-thrift related content.

Usually I love following this thread, but the last couple days I feel like I'm having to sort through a bunch of Alfani, George, and Van Fucking Heusen just to find a piece of Brioni. Whoever found that Brioni in the last page or two, it's sick!

Music is cool. There's probably even a thread on SF dedicated to such topics. I'm newish to SF, but not proper etiquette in forums or real life. Can we get back to the thread topic? Or pictures of thread contributor's puppies/animals? At least that tangent ties into the thread in someway. Please? I'm sure there are hundreds if not thousands of other people that subscribe to this thread, and don't want to be inundated with completely off topic information. The bickering over pronunciation was/is thread topic related, but now the thread has been derailed.

Who has some Tom Ford or Vicuña to get us back on track?

2 people like this.
  14. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

Hoping Linda mislisted this and it turns out to be a mans full zip Belstaff sweater.
    [​IMG]

15. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

@impuntura

Anything idea on wood of that record player. I was thinking maple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

When I was coaching tennis in the mid 90's after college, a bunch of my players loved WuTang and Cypress Hill. I listened to some NAS when he first came out and thought he was pretty good.

And funny you mention DOC....had his CD lol. I remember I think it was around 2000 the members of NWA did a performance on TV with Snoop Dog and the then internet which is so primative by today's standards was buzzing with speculation of a NWA reunion with Snoop taking Eazys role. Not sure if anything ever came of that, because a year or so later I met my now wife and had to become Somewhat serious [​IMG]

17. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

LL Radio and Dear Yvette were my favs that he did. DMC's early stuff was very good. Then they did the remake of Walk this Way and then all a sudden Rap became mainstream.

2 Live Crew did pretty much suck. We want some Pu$$y was unlike anything you'd ever heard, and they wore the Canes gear...that was pretty much it.

18. white collar

white collar Senior member

wtf happened to this thread? I come here for clothes but there's none in sight ...

8 people like this.
  19. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Sorry...I posted a pic of Riff Raff in a Canadian tuxedo and it went to shit after that.

7 people like this.
  20. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    3 people like this.