1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. double00

double00 Senior member

learning sneakers...

[​IMG]
    mid-2000s dunks. apparently a production sample, per the 999... upc. should clean up into a decent beater. 9.5 if they float yer boat.

6 people like this.
  2. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

It’s time for our 5th annual Thrift Thread Gift Exchange!

Many of you have participated in the past and know how it works, but others are new to the scene. Read below for all of the pertinent information!

If you’d rather not read all of the information, here are the key points:

• In order to participate, you must have a minimum of 100 posts. These posts can be anywhere on StyleForum, not necessarily in the thrift thread. No exceptions have been/will be made for those with fewer than the required number!
    • As we have done in previous years, a $5 donation to StyleForum’s favorite charity (The Ronald McDonald House) is required. Payment will be made to me and I will donate all of it once StyleForum opens their donation drive in December. If you’d rather not participate, but would still like to donate, that’s fine! Last year we brought in $415!
    • You will need to confirm to me by 13 October that you’re in this year. I will need your name/address, even if nothing has changed.
    • Please post a photo and thank you of what you receive. It’s fun to see what everyone receives! A thread will be created to do that!

Timeline:

• Register (PM me) by 13 October 2016
    • Send ALL gifts by 1 December 2016

Donation:
    I don’t want to put an email address on here, so please contact me. To make my life easier, please send all donations as USD$$, no matter your local currency. My PayPal account is denominated in euro, so it’s easy to see the total donation amount when it’s in USD.

What it’s all about:

The thrift thread gift exchange is just that...a gift exchange among the voluntary members of the thrift thread. You will receive the name/contact information of a fellow member for whom you will buy a gift or gifts. The gifts can be thrifted, discount purchased, or retail, but the recommended maximum spending limit is $25 + shipping.

We have a timeline for registering for the exchange and when gifts should be sent.

It’s that simple!

This is the fifth year we've done this, and I have to say I still have some awesome stuff that I've received over the years. I have books, ties, pocket squares, pants, etc. Having said that, the real fun is just trying to find something you think someone else will enjoy.

FAQs

How do I get involved?

Send me (HansderHund) a PM with the following information:
    Name
    Address (home or office is fine)

How do I know I won’t get screwed?

You (nor I) don’t. We’re all relative strangers, so it’s really banking on the goodwill of other members. I don’t vet participants other than by post count. Having said that, it’s been overwhelmingly successful up to this point as far as I know. Aside from a couple of members not receiving their gifts (but were later compensated), we’ve done well. That means we’ve had hundreds of strangers exchange gifts via postal service around the world based only on trust.

Why do I have to pay you $5?

Once you send me your name and address, I’ll send you a PM telling you to send me $5. I will hold onto these funds until December when StyleForum opens their charity drive that benefits the Ronald McDonald House. Last year, we were able to raise $415! The $5 shouldn’t be a huge deal, but it is a mandatory requirement for participation. If I don’t have your donation in before drawing the names, your name will be removed from the list.

Does the person that I have also have my name?

No. It’s a drawing of names, so the only time two people will have one another is by chance. This happens occasionally.

How are the names drawn?

I divide the list into half and give Capnwes the half that includes my own name and I keep the list that has his. We then draw a name for each person at random.

What if I don’t like/need my gifts?

This is important: you are free to do with your gifts what you want. That means you may sell, trade, use, throw away, donate anything that you don’t like or need. No one should have their feelings hurt if they see their gift passed along in a trade or listed on ebay. It’s hard enough buying things for people you know well, let alone strangers, so try not to feel too bad.

What should I get my member?

Whatever you think they will like! If you know/have had contact with your member, you have an advantage. However, if you don’t know them, stick to safe items.

Some easy suggestions are:
    Ties
    Pocket squares
    Books
    Shoe polish/laces
    Braces
    Shoe trees
    Wallets/small leather goods

You can of course go for anything sartorial of your choosing.

How much do I have to spend?

No one will know how much you actually spent, so you’re free to spend as little or much as you want. The recommended maximum is $25 before shipping, but whatever you feel comfortable with spending is most important.

Will I have to ship internationally?

Possibly! By signing up for the gift exchange, you’re agreeing to send a gift to someone. We have active members across North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia (possibly other locations, for all I know). International shipping will obviously be a bit more expensive than domestic no matter where you are, but it isn’t required that you ship anything EMS/Priority.

What happens if I don’t get my gift?

Anyone that hasn’t received a gift by 1 January 2017 is free to contact me and I will hand over the user name of the person that was supposed to send you a gift. At that point, you’re free to contact them or blast them on the thread. Let’s keep in mind, though, that we’re not talking about thousands of dollars/euros/pounds, but rather €/$/£20-30.

What if I live in a sartorial wasteland and can’t find anything before December?

As a last minute gift, you can always have gift cards sent from Amazon, ebay, etc. Additionally, you can buy something online and have it sent directly to your member.

What if I don’t want/need a gift?

That’s no problem. Choose your favorite charity that accepts online donations and I’ll direct your person to donate $25.

Can I make a list of what I want/don’t want?

I recommend you edit your StyleForum profile to reflect your sizes and preferences. Outside of that, feel free to post your list inside the thread. Due to time constraints, I won’t be able to relay information between members.

Who will receive my address/information?

Your gift exchange partner, Capnwes, and myself.

It burns when I pee, what should I do?

A burning sensation during urination can be caused by a bacterial infection, especially gonorrhea. I recommend you see your GP as soon as possible.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    12 people like this.
  3. HansderHund

1 person likes this.
  4. HansderHund

1 person likes this.
  5. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Speaking of nikes are these anything
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Thanks Linda
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17 people like this.
  7. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

Ethrift for wifey came in, thanks spoo!

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  8. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

That Linda listing wasnt even a suble mistake!

9. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

Garbage. Swerve.

10. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

You are on fire.

11. dad2bandm

dad2bandm Senior member

S'alright, but... I probably would have held out for the "Short Sleeve jacket". [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. rhyme

rhyme Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mezlan Custom
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

SuSu
    [​IMG]

E-Thrift for $10 due to water damage on toes. Gave them a nice bath and they cleaned up nice.

Borrelli Napoli. Made by either Santoni or Sutor M. Anyone know for sure.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thrift funded purchase for personal use. 50% off retail

Viberg Service boots in Ebony Latigo. They are exactly what i was looking for and the price was right.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

21 people like this.
  13. Principle

Principle Senior member

Those vibergs are beautiful. Has anyone ever thrifted a pair on this thread?

1 person likes this.
  14. Pierson v Post

Pierson v Post Senior member

[​IMG]

Hurricane Party!!! So my plan is to head out to Jupiter Beach the day after this passes, and "thrift" for some exposed gold and silver coins that are from the various Spanish shipwrecks here a few centuries ago.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    15 people like this.
  15. double00

double00 Senior member

that's a thing? sounds like fun!

try and make sure they're not cursed.

[​IMG]

16. thebuddahman

thebuddahman Senior member

I'm in. @HansderHund thanks for organising all this. Excited.

1 person likes this.
  17. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Senior member

I'm in!

1 person likes this.
  18. Pierson v Post

Pierson v Post Senior member

Along the Treasure Coast here in Florida, (basically Jupiter north the the Vero Beach area) a passing hurricane will expose large areas of dunes and beach which have remained covered for decades or even centuries. If you go to the right areas (research of 1700's era shipwrecks helps) with a metal detector, it is not uncommon to find Spanish coins made of gold or silver. I myself have never found any, but it's also been about 10 years since the last hurricane hit our area.

4 people like this.
  19. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Yep you are correct.'
    They really do use peccary quite often

1 person likes this.
  20. SteelGuy

SteelGuy Senior member

E-thrift fun here too, though not (yet) in @kbadgley84 league.

[​IMG]

It was $14 or best offer. So I offered $10...

12 people like this.