• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been out of commission recovering from surgery, so I haven't been out thrifting much (and I still need to ship some things to people -- sorry @IRKSM ). I did, however, have to bite the bullet, swallow my pride, and order a pair of betabrand's work sweatpants so I can actually go out into the wide world. I think work would frown on me rolling up in loose-fitting shorts, which is what I've been living in for the past three weeks. They get here tomorrow. So I'll let you guys know how that goes.

Last edited:

Close Horse

Reaction score
Best of luck for a quick and complete recovery.

I wore those Betabrand dress-sweats in solid charcoal to work about 10x, and no one caught on.

eddiegreen

Reaction score
A lucky, lucky bleeder beat me by about 10 seconds to the most minty, gorgeous, buttery John Lobbs today thus postponing my JL consummation.
there was a consolation prize though..

I've never dealt with suede shoes before, any hot tips on cleaning these up?

Gajsek

Reaction score
^Putting suede over steam refreshes it, for cleaning use a suede eraser and suede brush.
But these are beyond ruined, I can take one for the team and try to fix them ;)

aging in rhythm

Reaction score
Robert Talbott BOC

BB Makers linen Repp

Vintage Talbott bowtie

BB Black Fleece sneakers. 10.5 - who wants to give these the love they deserve?

I don't usually buy women's but I will stop for Marni. size 41

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A lucky, lucky bleeder beat me by about 10 seconds to the most minty, gorgeous, buttery John Lobbs today thus postponing my JL consummation. there was a consolation prize though..
I've never dealt with suede shoes before, any hot tips on cleaning these up?
I'd consider a pair of Edward Greens the main prize to be honest, assuming the Lobbs were Paris and not bespoke UK. I'd not be turning down either, don't get me wrong, but I have to admit to owning 6 pairs of EGs.

eddiegreen

Reaction score
I'd consider a pair of Edward Greens the main prize to be honest, assuming the Lobbs were Paris and not bespoke UK. I'd not be turning down either, don't get me wrong, but I have to admit to owning 6 pairs of EGs.
yeah, it wasn't so much about makers, it was because they were the nicest JL shoes i have ever seen anywhere and in mint condition(cant find the model on google). I watched the guy who bought them trying them on and walking around the shop with them on for 5 minutes before buying. He paid £15 so i offered him £30 as he left, but he just said no without a second thought.

bpk1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wish I could, really wanted to bring it to a jeweler/authorized watch dealer I know in Manhasset, but won't be able to make it til next weekend most likely.

So tried bringing it to an AD (Tourneau at Roosevelt Field, for those of us locals) and they said they wouldn't/couldn't open the case back because the pin holding the case to the bracelet is fused in place on one side. Said something about the tool they use not being able to open if the bracelet was in the way...

Any locals (paging @SpooPoker) have a local AD/watchmaker/repairman they suggest? Don't really feel like spending $50 to send it into Rolex to have them tell me it's a fake lol..

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So tried bringing it to an AD (Tourneau at Roosevelt Field, for those of us locals) and they said they wouldn't/couldn't open the case back because the pin holding the case to the bracelet is fused in place on one side. Said something about the tool they use not being able to open if the bracelet was in the way...

Any locals (paging @SpooPoker) have a local AD/watchmaker/repairman they suggest? Don't really feel like spending $50 to send it into Rolex to have them tell me it's a fake lol..

Try London Jewelers either in the Americana or in Glen Cove. The Americana one they are extremely helpful and very nice. I take all my watches there.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fyi.
If you do end up sending it to rolex. Make sure you confirm pricing ahead of time. Basic servicing is way way more than $50. I had to have a bezel reconnected and it was over $500 with servicing.
Good luck

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I watched the guy who bought them trying them on and walking around the shop with them on for 5 minutes before buying.

Now that's just rubbing it in - he could have had the decency to have bought them quickly and left!

bpk1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Try London Jewelers either in the Americana or in Glen Cove. The Americana one they are extremely helpful and very nice. I take all my watches there.

Awesome, thanks! Was planning on trying the one in Americana to begin with, but was driving right past the Roosevelt Field one today so figured was worth a shot.

Fyi.
If you do end up sending it to rolex. Make sure you confirm pricing ahead of time. Basic servicing is way way more than $50. I had to have a bezel reconnected and it was over $500 with servicing.
Good luck

Yeah I fully anticipated it to be $500-1000, which I'd fine with (and that's the plan if it's real)! What I meant was more that shipping alone, because of insurance and having to be registered mail, signature confirm, etc would be ~$50, which would suck if it turned out to be fake.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I meant was more that shipping alone, because of insurance and having to be registered mail, signature confirm, etc would be ~$50, which would suck if it turned out to be fake.

I had to do that with a Movado, which turned out to be fake. What sucked even more was that the store had a 2 week return policy, but by the time I got it back, it was too late (I paid a fair amount for it, but assumed I was getting a nice deal on a legit Movado). What sucked still more is that they KNEW it was a fake and didn't mark it on the tag or tell me before I bought it - when I called to complain they said "check your receipt", which I did, and on the receipt it said "Replica"...you'd need to buy something from this store, and have the knowledge to check the receipt before leaving to see if they know it to be a fake or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads