1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. aging in rhythm

aging in rhythm Senior member

@classicthrifter

ya dun good

3 people like this.
  2. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

@classicthrifter that thing is sweet.

1 person likes this.
  3. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

1 person likes this.
  4. double00

double00 Senior member

jealous... i've observed a steady stream of good art out of that location....

5. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Is that the by-the-pound place? Went to that once and never again it was so depressing, despite also living 10 miles from there.

Never really understood how those online auctions work—does each individual Goodwill do their own auctions or (I'm guessing) one central location in the area, like a regional office? Some serious effort went into creating that listing.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  6. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

It's the dumpster diver. They added a new addition to the building about 10,000 sq feet. It is there online sales building. It's racks of stuff for sale online. I don't know how far they pull stuff from. They do ok I think. I watch online what comes in and out but I stay out of there. I wish I knew more about art as I'm sure there is a lot here. My family owns A very large section of the area as my family came here originally on the Oregon trail. So there is a lot of old paintings in the area. My grandmother has a piano in her living room that came here from the mid west with my family in the back of a wagon Crazy people.

1 person likes this.
  7. double00

double00 Senior member

The site listings are regional afaik, the individual stores and warehouses skim off for the site. Of course great stuff makes it to the floor anyway but it could be that this spot is better at catching that stuff (they tore that strat apart after all). So it could be a mirage but ive seen very impressive pieces come and go.

Im also guessing there are regions that arent even connected yet, I just started seeing my local on the site...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Why?! Wes found the same sweater last week.

Pretty cool. Ive never actually seen that label, but Polo has had like 1000 labels. it says copyright 1991, hence the 91 on the jacket. I don't think its a major time piece but certainly not one of the ones you'd leave behind.

Vintage 1991 Polo Ralph Lauren Sporting Goods Pre-Snow Beach 91 Jacket

4 people like this.
  9. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

So, i went out for an evening thrift. Searching for jeans for @Timmah .
    Never seen these "pig rodeo" from studio d'artisan before.
    [​IMG]
    Kept walking. . Not what i'm looking for. The hunt continues.
    [​IMG]
    Eh, he prolly has one. :sarcasm:

Did pickup a super nice 100% wool pinstriped chore coat thing from SHIPS.
    For @Versaceguy.
    And some stuff just to make the dude smile. :)
    -your box will be out tomorrow lunch time, good sir. :fonz:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

In before Matt pms about literally any Ferrari item.

Ran for the subway yesterday. Bag got caught in the door. Yanked it through. Pulled my laptop out this morning to find my sd card bent and broken. Why doesn't Mac let me push it in flush??? Now I have to wait for a replacement to come before I can make any new listings, take any photos at all... I'm completely frozen.

11. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

^Time to shop! #silverlinings

2 people like this.
  12. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Good excuse to fit in a thrift run though. :)

1 person likes this.
  13. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

14. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

Had my first thrifting dream\nightmare. Was at a new spot and started having a thriftening. NWT RRL denim, minty 3Sixteen denim and bunch of vintage selvedge jackets. Some RRL's were priced at $2.99 and 3Sixteen's at $16.99. The more I looked the more I found, it was insane and I was getting so hyped until I checked my bank account on my phone to see just how hard I could afford to kopp...$12 in the bank!! I started freaking out and trying to transfer money from saving and checking available credit on my credit card but nothing was working so I was stuck in the thrift holding all this baller gear with $12 to my name and the sharks were circling. It was awful.

10 people like this.
  15. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Senior member

16. AlexJ1100

AlexJ1100 Senior member

Two random question, feel free to pm

1. Doing Paddle for Pints in Traverse City, MI on Saturday but staying tomorrow and Saturday night in Grand Rapids. Any thrift spots I should hit up?

2. Anyone have recommendation on some nicer lounge wear? Colder weather is coming up and I'm still wearing the same sweatpants I got during high school football (ie too big and too short on me). I have one pair of Lululemon pants that I really like (nice weight, clean look, and they have longer inseams which I rarely see in this type of product) but expensive.

17. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Senior member

I'm pissed... That's England based. FUCK!
    You jammy sod, Spoo. Jammy sod indeed...

5 people like this.
  18. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

That's when you take a deep breath, gather yourself, and you run. And fuck morality issues, there's so much shit in the back they'd never know......but seriously though....if this is a real life possibility, you need to restructure the contents of your wallet, because this is a problem that should never be allowed to occur. Leaving any type of grail piece behind, or something with killer fucking margins, cuz your debit is Running on E should be a misdeamenor, passed and enforced at the Federal level, thus applying to all 50 states. 3 month max jail sentence if in the top 3% of possibility offenses as dictated by all recorded epic hauls on record.

Edit: And this is possible for any and everyone. Unless you have shitty credit and shitty credit has everything to do with being irresponsible and nothing to do with your present economic standing. Be an adult, pay your bills on time and only use debit from here on out and your shit will skyrocket though.

1 person likes this.
  19. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

@Jompso

Luckily, it was all a dream

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  20. wumpyfish

wumpyfish Senior member

"Jammy sod"? Is that the same as getting the jam taken from your doughnut?