1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Nickd

Nickd Senior member

I couldn't have a man bun, whether I want one or not, not enough hair left. I'm there on the tweed, leather bound books (I have lots too) and mahogany though.

1 person likes this.
  2. thebuddahman

thebuddahman Senior member

Have I inadvertently found the way to extract discount from Spoo?

Me:
    Can I have that NWT Cuci jacket for £10?
    Spoo: Haha fuck no! Who do you think you are son?
    [waits, pulls out phone]
    Me: Hey Spoo, check out this screen grab...
    Spoo: 42900 UNREAD EMAILS!!?!!!! [falls to his knees] ANNYYYTTHHHIIINGG!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    2 people like this.
  3. Letric

Letric Senior member

Printed Neckwear:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    15 people like this.
  4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

5. Versace Guy

Versace Guy Senior member

Brag of the day: NWT skeet

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

2 people like this.
  7. AlexJ1100

AlexJ1100 Senior member

2 people like this.
  8. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

@Spoo and @ TNM, because I have shit to do. I've satisfied myself that there's nothing urgent going on there, and moved on with the important shit in my life. Like living. And making money. And making other things.

2 people like this.
  9. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

Available, plz?

1 person likes this.
  10. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

:fistbump:
    I've got one of those at home, I'll see if I can find any markings. I completely forgot to look up anything about it after I bought it.

1 person likes this.
  11. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

Stopped by the Ledbury warehouse sale yesterday. Not a huge fan of their shirts, so I went looking for a sweater. Tons of stock. Tim Kaine was there about an hour after me.

NWOB Sebago Docksides. Made in the USA. 7.5M.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NWT Vitaliano Pancaldi tie
    [​IMG]

Small e-thrift. NWT Stefano Ricci square. Under 10% rule if you don't count shipping.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Forgot who posted the link to the Round Two YouTube channel, but thanks - I've been watching them when work slows down...great primer for anyone (like me) who is not totally up on SW&D, "is this is XXX I'm looking for", etc. Still mostly lost on sneakers - I suspect one has to have been into them for years, and know from memory what's what.

2 people like this.
  13. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

14. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

No problem man, I've seen every episode but I'm going back through watching them again because some of the things people thrift and bring in there is insane. Really good show to watch if you are trying to get your knowledge up.

2 people like this.
  15. Quesjac

Quesjac Senior member

Doesn't look like it from the photo, but there's a lot of reflection so it's hard to tell. Here's one of mine. It should be obvious if you look at the weave pattern without catching too much reflection. Cheers.

General point (and not at all directed at you), I'm surprised how frequently this comes up. There are only two weaves (three if you count piccola) and they're pretty distinctive.

1 person likes this.
  16. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Kind of like shell, it's easier to recognize after you've held it

17. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Picked up this early 60's (I think) Schwinn Speedster from a local yard sale for $15. Original owner. 89 years old; he even filled the tires up and greased the chain so whoever bought it could "hop on and ride away".

Had a thick layer of dust and grime. Cleaned up pretty well. Has lots of scratches, chips and dings. All adds to the patina. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pretty sure these are the original tires...[​IMG]

Chrome is polishing up nicely.

[​IMG]

21 people like this.
  18. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Well, I finally caught up on the thread! I've been 1,200+ posts behind for MONTHS. I can't believe how much awesome stuff has been posted over the last 8-10 weeks. Every time I wanted to comment, I realized I'd be a couple of weeks behind all of the other "awesome!" comments. @Mr. Moo: We've been on some weird alternate thrifting planets. I can't tell you how many things you've posted have overlapped with me, including that reversible Zegna jacket. I bought that new a few years ago but couldn't make it work. Loved it (and the concept), but it never fit right.

Anyway, I have a ton of stuff to post. I'm not sure the best way to go about it, but I'll get some stuff up. I had to move into my own office space this summer, I needed a dedicated spot for storage/photography. The best part? It's a 3 minute walk from my house. I had no idea how much stuff I had acquired until I loaded it all up and brought it over. I'm pretty sure my neighbors were gossiping, thinking I was moving out of my house. :happy:

According to the sign on the side of the building, it was a hospital first built in 1488. It was burned down in 1680 due to the plague and rebuilt in 1685. It was used as a hospital until 1874.

New view:

[​IMG]

19 people like this.
  19. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Here is the start of some recent finds...

First up, some decor.

Bought this guy at the flea market. Normally, I already know what I'd be willing to pay (and the relative value), before I ask for a price. This was one of those situations that I had no idea what to expect to pay (How much do pheasants really cost? :D) Anyway, I expected €40-50 and the seller said "€20." Out of principal, I immediately said "€10," and he was happy to settle for €15. I have no idea of "value," because I just wanted it, but I felt like I scored a deal.

[​IMG]

Viennese waltz.

[​IMG]

Cast aluminum, I think. Lighter than it looks, but still cool.

[​IMG]

Old field binoculars.
    [​IMG]

Paid up for this because it was clearly silver. Saw the marking and had to have it. Anyone know when they added Brigg? Unfortunately missing the whip. I think this is a lady's version.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Probably not much value, but loved the teak and it hadn't hit the floor yet. Leaks, but could probably be fixed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12 people like this.
  20. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

^ love everything. Would be excited to find all of this.

2 people like this.