1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

Yeah, I knew that. Just wasn't sure if they would explicitly say it on the content tag or just say cotton.

1 person likes this.
  2. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

Velvet can also be made from silk, but it's rare.

2 people like this.
  3. jeradjames

jeradjames Active Member

Been midcentury hunting lately; nothing special but cool stuff I think
    [​IMG]
    Cool chair, no makers mark
    [​IMG]
    Cool loungey couch, shit cushions
    [​IMG]
    Coffee table
    [​IMG]
    Eames ltr & Robert Steven mitkoff pot [​IMG]
    Only good clothing item I've found lately. vintage smiths tee for $1.99. All not fs

17 people like this.
  4. AHS

AHS Senior member

Been working overtime at work and haven't been getting out much. Got off early today, hit a spot and this guy presented himself: [​IMG] [​IMG] That's a really beautiful piece of clothing. AHS

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Unrelated but related...

Was in Montreal recently, but did not go to Tim Hortons. Pretty sad.

1 person likes this.
  6. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

@AHS Thanks, I agree! Fits me very well too but I know my limits and definitely cannot pull this off. Was looking at it after placing on the mannequin and said aloud: "damn, that's sexy."

@Jeradjames
    Awesome post, man. I've been slowly acquiring a taste for MCM over the last couple years. When I was in Chicago recently, I saw some incredible pieces at the Art Institute. Never find any good mid century, just really dated stuff from the era. Jealous when I see nice things posted here. Also, nice Smiths shirt!

2 people like this.
  7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Where's the dislike button?

1 person likes this.
  8. jeradjames

jeradjames Active Member

@Dirt thanks man! Yeah I love mcm stuff and surprisingly the suburbs of Seattle have been pretty good to me so far! Cheers

9. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

Some better pics of the brunello.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22 people like this.
  10. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

Yeah I love mcm stuff and surprisingly the suburbs of Seattle have been pretty good to me so far!

:hide:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  11. dad2bandm

dad2bandm Senior member

Ties... Is the Dolce & Gabbana one legit? Seems like it. Weird pattern though. Lol. A couple nice Pal Zileri, and a Ted Baker tie that I actually really like. Usually the Ted Baker ones are loud. I'm probably keeping the ties for myself...maybe not the Dolce & Gabbana one.

[​IMG]

Also found this working and good condition Nespresso Vertuoline coffee/expresso machine. I don't know what resale is for it but I'm going to try it out for myself... Still have a Tassimo.

[​IMG]

12. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

You didn't miss out. Tim Hortons is kind of shit. The coffee isn't good and donuts aren't fresh, they're made from frozen.

1 person likes this.
  13. timhortons

timhortons Senior member

Why don't you like me?

10 people like this.
  14. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

..because you're not fresh!

1 person likes this.
  15. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Legit Check....100% Legit. Fee For Services: 2 Pal Zileri ties. Thank you.

1 person likes this.
  16. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Not to split hairs like an asshole.... but I think that ship may have sailed, unintentionaly mind you, but full caste and far from sight..... so I though I kinda assumed I would actually slightly straighten this truth out for erryone regarding blazers

quality brands or brands using a good quality material will more than likely have their Velvet comprised of 100% Cotton. Just like that Polo Italy piece by Catarelli I posted last week, I don't think it's a secret that older RLBL Caruso suits may have been nice suits, but by no means regarded as a high quality garments, thus receiving the standard good garment material type, 100% cotton makes perfect sense. However with that said, cotton does does not equal velvet, velvet is simply a fabric finish and composition....sythentics are just as often found in this stuff as cottonso it is not a definition of by composition, stating something is velvet is in 0 was equal to stating something 100% cashmere, Velvet can be anything that is able to develop that finish and hand. As perfectly stated by our resident smart man....that 100% Silk Velvet is out there....well sir if you come across it, I'd like a PM...... but anyways.

Brands who spend more on their fabric, most recently I even saw a Boss actually with this fabric composition, Zegna has been doing this for well over a decade and so has Kiton and I believe Brioni too, all who have velvet blazers, 0 are 100% Cotton.

Most commonly actually come across is a blend of about 91-92% Cotton and 8-9% Cashmere. This is the composition that makes up all those aforementioned garments Boss to Kiton. Zegna actually has a name for it, though obvious no legal standing regarding the composition aspect....which is strange......but the Brain Trust over there decided upon the ingenious.... CASHCO...yes I know crazy..

But yea just for the sake of the fact I've owned many many velvet pieces.....the only Cotton only one I have ever owned, is the most recent one I posted, the cantarelli PRL Italy that is 100% cotton. Every other one in my possession, now or ever, have/are 100% of the time 91-92% Cotton, Remainder Cashmere. This is how most brands do these days.....I would love a 100% Silk velvet piece though. Your welcome........or ignore and just remember, Enyce? Instakop.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    4 people like this.
  17. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

4 people like this.
  18. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Enyce. Yassss!!!

-anyone else just sit and watch @Dirt's Avatar??!

4 people like this.
  19. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

This.
    Coffee Time all day long.
    Worst locations best coffee.

20. leisurewear

leisurewear Senior member

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.