1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Electronics can be hard. Often very difficult to test in store (have to cobble together cords, speakers, amps, etc. into a quick and dirty test system). A lot of things are even difficult to test at home (most of us don't have reel to reel tapes lying around)! Some stuff may be worth something untested, but most may not (unless you offer free returns, which would be a PITA with electronics).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Did this happen in Los Angeles yesterday or two days ago??? Nataku.........
    Quote:
    I'm no Spoo, but personal record: 4 Kit Ca$h, one stop......also my third or fourth thirfting stop ever. Period. And which led to my first post. Which was immediately greeted by doubters and hating haha...its easy to peep if u care.

Quote:
    Sorry, had to. Alejandro Ingelmo. And yes he offers Python sneakers that are fucking crazy ugly, retail $900.....His original releases were much more tasteful, about 6-7 years ago when he was first introduced. Rarely exxotics but when did they were $800 tops. His shoes now are night and day, I haven't been a sneaker man personally for over a decade but I think his shit has gone straight nasty...

But to agree with you, in a general sense, regarding Python skin and such. Python are indeed the move if you are going exxotic and snake is the decision. Pythons have by far the biggest and largest number or big Scales, and in a general sense Big Scales just equal expensive and high quality or rare or whatever to people.......Python is by far best mainstream snake to rock....

Was once offered a straight split to sell some dudes 100% Cobra skin jacket....he was forgoing standard terms and "letting me sell" just so we could split "good money" cuz he didn't want it and want me to have half......telling me stories of fucking el dorado regarding worth and price paid for customization. I only needed no more than a glance to see scale pattern, small like lizard skin pretty much, at its biggest....needless, I said no I don't want to sell this at all. No shot. However although driving it home to make sure of no secondary type propositions to move it, I didn't ask what he paid which I'm still curious about. Cuz that sucks if he truly paid a lot.

Don't even bother with the curiosity and fantasizing, cuz I got news, thrifting would barely be any different than any other equally affluent neighborhood or whatever. Trust me, I've thrifted within 5-10 tops of Rodeo a countless number of times, it makes no difference. The majority is bought up from people all over the world (here) but state at least, which for you is no good, especially with all other factors to consider. Men with money will come down on a day trip or whatever, jet or car doesn't matter. They book appointments at these stores in advance, at least here this is how they do it, so I doubt those with the money expect any different treatment for their money there. The appointments could last half a day, 5-6 hours or so, could last more. It depends on if they want to try on the entire store or not, because regardless the answer would be of course. Ill tell u why in a sec. Anyways these men, they take their time, and if its a smaller store or whatever, don't bother enterting cuz they dont care what you want at all or anything else about you they are busy, finally the guy decides on like 7-8 suits, 9 or so blazers, and has a couple orders place for special pieces MTO, for whatever reason.That man is the man that represents the shoppers that keep all those boutiques in business, Rodeo, to Madison, to whatever... one stop big spender. And this man more than likely does not live nearby, if so, the buying habits would probably differ quite a bit, but if he does, those clothes being seen again is a chance, in like 6-7 years, maybe, but more than likely hes from anywhere or everywhere/ just within reason with a fueled up jet and a free day
    So the influx of this level of store I'm sure is beyond dope to see and the possibilities now that they are so close I am sure are endless in your thrifting fantasies. But I will help ease your thoughts so no more need to wonder about the possibilities. With just about 6.3 million metro population of Houston. We are talking tops that can shop there in that city, depending on the store, no greater than 63k TOPS, Mashburn only for them, remember 63k total, but a Kiton of Hermes casual shopper who can afford purchasing multiple wardrobe pieces or constantly shopping at these locations, speaking in regards to strictly that city, 6-6.5k TOPs. Thats the amount of individuals in that city truly able to afford regular pieces from those stores, 6- 6,500 tops. Quite low compared to a 6.3 million population. However we're now forgetting a huge important aspect, gender, so split that number in more than half, since women are slightly higher in population, so perhaps 3k-3.2k men in Houston are in that 1% of that 1% regularly shopping at Kiton and such. Then of course you can choose to factor in things like personal taste, spending habits, age, personal hobbies, interests, taste, sexuality, age, race, religion, previous approach/appreciate/and respect for wearing and owning fine garments, etc.... So hopefully that helps ease the fantasies. Cuz when those 4 years pass or so, and shit starts to get donated from these shops, odds of seeing it anywhere in Houston are just about as good as anywhere else. Total Random number that is equally as low as random. Nothing dependable by anymeans.

1 person likes this.
  3. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

I'm with you on that train of thought. I've surprisingly found two pieces of Kiton: 1 tie and 1 suit, which I have still yet to post pictures of (wtf). Seeing that label, even in a wealthier part of Cleveland was amazing.
    Also, I want to inquire one more time to see if anyone has had or knows the quality of the J&M "Limited" brand shoes. I've read their from the 90s and these look unworn. @drlivingston

Thanks all

4. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Stop #1...

Weber Genesis grill for $30! Hopefully it works...

[​IMG]

17 people like this.
  5. Pierson v Post

Pierson v Post Senior member

That is awesome, I have the same exact grill. Use it several times a week, year-round.

1 person likes this.
  6. AHS

AHS Senior member

Here are some quick photos from last night's run.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wasn't familiar with Schiatti... But it is 100% cashmere and Made in Italy.

Sorry. All N/A.

AHS

15 people like this.
  7. eazye

eazye Senior member

^^^^^ That blouson is fucking fire.

1 person likes this.
  8. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

You know you need this, @SpooPoker .
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. jumpman1231

jumpman1231 Senior member

That's hilarious!

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Actually, I think I do. Proxy if available next time? :D

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Nah, I left on Saturday afternoon. These were about 25 minutes away from my house. :slayer:

12. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

That's some old ass polo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. shirtsnmor

shirtsnmor Senior member

Found this older Coach British Racing Green leather weekender & brief. I absolutely love them. They are structurally in great condition but both have fading and scuffs. Anybody know of any products to restore the leather on bags?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  14. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Vintage 60s goodness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

USA Made Christmas All-Stars

[​IMG]

Unhemmed even

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  15. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

I too would rather donate $500 dress pants rather than getting them hemmed...fuuuuck.

1 person likes this.
  16. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

The problem with that type of find is the uncomfortable reality that no one donates only ONE high-value item.

4 people like this.
  17. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

Right? The hunt begins.

18. Nickd

Nickd Senior member

I used my Saphir shoe cream very successfully to restore a thrifted purse for my girlfriend, I see no reason why it wouldn't work on these - possibly use a cheaper brand of shoe cream though, there's a lot of leather there!

1 person likes this.
  19. Principle

Principle Senior member

Lexol works just great on darker leather, and costs a fraction of the nicer ones.

3 people like this.
  20. 330CK

330CK Senior member

Finally a pop! on Lalique. Missing the lid but can't beat it for 29 cents.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.