1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

I think the thread constantly needs fresh faces to thrive, otherwise we'd get into a rut.

2 people like this.
  2. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

just sprezz.... lolz

3. woodchuck312

woodchuck312 Senior member

As someone who is back from the dead on the forum I like the fresh faces and finds on here. I still have about 2000 posts to get caught up on.

4. eazye

eazye Senior member

Sup crew! I just got back from spending the week in the north woods of Wisconsin for some much needed R&R. Going through some serious thrifting withdrawal, hahaha. I hope you all had a wonderful 4th!
    [​IMG]
    Lululemon diy shorts from Nataku
    Vansxwtaps, e thrift

17 people like this.
  5. Steve Kane

Steve Kane Senior member

I always do this too. I think it makes up for the people who trash the store with no regard for the employees.

2 people like this.
  6. Alfargo

Alfargo Active Member

Some recent Etsy additions!

for yourself to wear if so i would like to see what you pair togther with these blazers.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  7. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

I was just sensing the thread going more toward the subject of flipping, reselling, thrifting strategy, etc and that usually is followed by a conversation about this

8. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

It ebbs and flows. I've never been bothered by flip talk, as long as the core subject is the love of the game. I don't know of anyone here that wears Robert Graham, but we post anyways, and it's all good, because it funds the addiction. Love the killer audio gear, furniture and art posts too.

4 people like this.
  9. woodchuck312

woodchuck312 Senior member

Yep knowledge is power in this game. Having a healthy knowledge of many different things in the thrift arena can turn a thrift trip from a 0 to salvageable.

We purchased a new home this winter, went from 1200 sq ft to 3500 sq ft. So we needed a ton of furniture. I got many of my nicest pieces at Salvation Army. Hancock and Moore leather chairs, Mitchell and Gold Leather chair, etc.

Its ok to focus just on high quality men's clothing but knowing a good bit about art, kitchen goods, furniture, audio equipment can really turn a waste of time into some $$$ or an amazing piece for your home.

I know over the last couple years we have built up about 12 pieces of Le Creuset for our kitchen at thrift prices.

6 people like this.
  10. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

Was in the poker room at my local establishment Saturday night, I counted at least 4 RG shirts...I've located the market!

6 people like this.
  11. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

come to nashville. Every divorced professional making over 200K wears RG and bedazzled jeans to whatever bar is hot at the time. Out picking up 20 something girls to take out on their boat.

4 people like this.
  12. eazye

eazye Senior member

I've spotted a number of RG's in the wild here too. Always untucked, always paired with uber distressed jeans and always finished off with those square toed loafers that curl upwards. Possibly made of some kind of reptile. The dude is usually tanned to a crisp as well.

8 people like this.
  13. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

Have you checked out AAAC lately? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. AlexJ1100

AlexJ1100 Senior member

I've only met one guy wearing one, but this is a dead on description

(and he was in a consignment store checking out a pair of RG jeans they had)

(their jeans are equally as terrible)

1 person likes this.
  15. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

Dude, you just described my neighbor in incredible detail (right down to the curled-up Mark Nason lounge shoes). He wanted me to sell a few of his shirts but they absolutely REEKED of patchouli. He even has the slicked back hair with noticeable implants, pseudo New York accent, and a gold chain around his neck with a big ancient Roman coin medallion. When my wife met him at a neighborhood social, she was certain that he was wearing a costume.

5 people like this.
  16. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

man, i thought that was just a regional thing here that i call "NashTrash" :lol:

17. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

i saw a RG sweater this weekend..... which.... :gasp: was actually nice. basic burgundy crewneck.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  18. white collar

white collar Senior member

No one has mentioned the coke habit that I'm sure most wearers have? Local business owner is the man described above, but is always on coke. He's actually a fun guy, but needs some style help.

19. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

id agree with that. haha.

20. Pierson v Post

Pierson v Post Senior member

Solemare by Maus & Hoffman. (thread first?) This is M&H's own brand, made in Italy. Size XXL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]