1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. timhortons

timhortons Senior member

2. Shanejosephxxx

Shanejosephxxx Senior member

Hot weather can suck it. I like wearing coats and sweaters way too much.

4 people like this.
  3. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Are you in NYC because I saw that exact same orphan this afternoon...

1 person likes this.
  4. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

bath salts

I hear ya. Spent last week in Seattle, I'd love to move that weather down here.

2 people like this.
  5. AHS

AHS Senior member

A nice follow-up to yesterday's batch of T&A contrast collar shirts. This must have been his tie collection. :). Different SA store here in San Francisco.

Five T&As and eleven Charvets. About $2.75 per. A few have tiny spots or a pull. Had to leave behind about another dozen because of stains.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AHS

11 people like this.
  6. jumpman1231

jumpman1231 Senior member

Had a decent stop yesterday...
    9x boc, 2 zeg, 1 nwt burb, old Brioni, polo Italy, Armani, skinny Ted baker, burb shirt, Pendleton with patches sport coat
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

For all the hosers on here...
    [​IMG]

10 people like this.
  8. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Take off, eh?

1 person likes this.
  9. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Fucking mastered the art of this game in High School...fucking pigs never saw the humor....plus the street we did it on is like the most dangerous canyon passes in the Hills, we thought that just added to the fun of it all....eventually just had to change the signs to "Do or don't Honk, we'll drink"... lifespan short lived that one as well....not the drinking obviously.

10. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

So at the beginning of June I started a new job in what I hope to be my career, and it's going pretty well. Im still hitting the thrifts the scored me grails, but after 5pm the trees have been fruited. Today for the fourth I got a half day, so I made the rounds. It's still pretty dry, but my fourth stop I scored these guys [​IMG]

So not bad for a half day. Also, pay checks are way delayed in corporate America, so it was also the first lump payment I got since I quit my old job 3 years ago and went to grad school. The stop after finding the Ricci and TB some lady starts asking me about sizing. Her son has a new job, he's shorter than me but stocky, wears and XL, so what does that mean in number size? I tell her 17-17.5 and don't think much of it. I run into her again in the racks and she tells me a lot more. She's worried I might think she's crazy, begging for money or something, so she shows me her new contract with a local company, a court order against her ex, I felt super awkward but she held my hand and made me feel one side of her nose, and then the other - the metal plate around her eye where her socket was broken, and I wish I hadn't seen it, but a stab wound not properly treated in her arm. What did she want? For me to buy her son who has been living with her in shelters for the last three years some shirts and ties for his new job. It might've been BS, but the timing was crazy. I quit my job three years ago, and have been living off thrifting since, and the day I get a 9-5 paycheck is the first time I've been asked (for anything in a thrift other than change) to buy someone's son his clothes for his first job after living in shelters? As much of a cynic as I am, I bought her a bunch of solid blue and white, patterned RL shirts, repp and neat ties. Today, I feel like less of a jerk than I deserve.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    41 people like this.
  11. namdaemun

namdaemun Senior member

thats why you are a good dude

3 people like this.
  12. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

I've hit a spot or two this week, but after this work week and canceling my Vacay, I decided to go o a little route today. I conclude it was a solid choice.

Tie thriftening
    [​IMG]
    Unionmade X New England oxford N/A. So my first United Arrows piece although I don't fit.
    [​IMG]
    Favorite new lounge shirt, long sleeve cashmere
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    N/A...NN////AA
    [​IMG]

Kiton FF & Cuci
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Daiki Suzui pre Engineered Garments, Woolrich piece. This is the real deal Woolrich right here. Defiitely at the top of my SWD finds for sure. N/A unless you gold gold bricks
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Just a really nice Paul Stuart Blazer
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vtg Brooks Brothers Scotlad Woven Donegal fleck tweed. This jacket is perfect
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Silk, Linen, Wool Newest Regent Line
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Silk, Linen, Wool Brooks Italy bye Lardini
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BIGGEST FUCK YOU BLAZER BROOS HAS EVER PUT OUT FOR SURE. MADE IN ITALY TOO.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thrifted NWT's Hickey Freeman Lindsey model. Do't really fuck with HF but thrift NWT's? Ok
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Easy decision

Varvatis Mainline Navy birdseye. Super 130s Woool by Lardii
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Current Pal Zileri Red Super 130s Suit
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Italy. Lardini.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Very recent Gray Zega Suit
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I've mixed part of this i above, but this is the thriftening I was referring to perhaps havig. Too bad he was a 50 but oh well.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Got Crazier...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then went overboard.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    40 people like this.
  13. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

Awesome story SWB.

And, mother fuck, that Kiton. Love coast as well.

14. jumpman1231

jumpman1231 Senior member

Jompso.....Well that was a ridiculously good idea it appears to make the rounds! Congrats on the wins too many to mention.

15. Woofa

Woofa Senior member

Went to fort worth symphony concert in the botanical gardens of Eagles music with another couple. Way too hot but music was good and this was our spread.
    [​IMG]
    Will go back thrifting tomorrow.

8 people like this.
  16. classicthrifter

classicthrifter Senior member

Someone was questioning going through all parts of the store including the women's and children's section. Those sections seem to be becoming my bread and butter recently. C'est la Vie.

Stocked up on some NWT Hanna Andersson today. Lots of keepers for the kids and one sent to the bay to pay for the lot... (Original retail $128, I'm not missing the first day of this clearance sale next year!)

Next up, strikingly horrible shorts that are easier to photograph than ties and sell near the same day I list. Finally a lovely wallet by Vera Bradley.

[​IMG]

What makes this wallet special you say (beyond the almost no resale value)?

[​IMG]

(Joan Bradley Reedy, Daughter of Vera Bradley, Sister of Co-Founder of company)

2 people like this.
  17. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

Excellent haul Jompso but the WWM isn't pre EG- daiki had a five year contract 04-09 iirc with woolrich, that guy is the upland jacket. Excellent find, I've only found a couple WWM daiki pieces (all shirts) and was super pumped every time

18. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

@Woofa I love a good spread.

@Jompso as The RZA once said, the shit is fuckin ridiculous.

19. Versace Guy

Versace Guy Senior member

A nice Burberry shirt from Emoland. Anyone from there?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  20. carreragt7

carreragt7 Senior member

@Jompso beautiful haul! What size are the Kiton FF pants?

I was going to send a PM but saw that this was going to be the 40000 post so why not. Haha.

2 people like this.