1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Oh wait, the vintage one with the name inside? - i sewed up the cuffs, and sold it at cost price of the ironhearts to the guy who taught me TIG welding. It's now his favorite jacket.:)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Love this cashmere kiton but not a fan of "shit coffee brown"
    [​IMG]

13 people like this.
  3. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

I think Ties are made by sartoria wich was bought by ciro. All clothing like shirts and suits are made by Martin greenfeild. Sartoria is owned by Ciro and not affiliated with kiton.

1 person likes this.
  4. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

Thanks everyone for the blessings. I left the hospital to pick up my daughter from grandma's and give her a break. Hit a stop on the way there to relax for a minute.

Filson
    [​IMG]

Fodder

[​IMG]

12 people like this.
  5. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

Hey, @the2ndhandman ... what's up with the Roman numerals on the nametags of the shirts?

6. carreragt7

carreragt7 Senior member

Anyone recognize this care tag at all? The sweater doesn't have any other remaining tags.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Not one find, accumulated over a couple months. Been really lazy lately

[​IMG]

19 people like this.
  8. Rewfio

Rewfio Senior member

@cpmac7 that's like 130 shirts man! Wtflip?! Crazy

1 person likes this.
  9. Versace Guy

Versace Guy Senior member

Massimo Bizzocchi was (is?) the CEO of Kiton. This is his private line. Quality wise, those ties are near top tier.

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Holy Shirt!

6 people like this.
  11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

All folded, thats probably the opposite of lazy

3 people like this.
  12. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

i think this was made for edmorel..... soemthing to do with keeping his humbler in place during black tie events....

1 person likes this.
  13. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Yup.

Actually, i thought it might have been for a pianist. .

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  14. carreragt7

carreragt7 Senior member

@SpooPoker hahaha, nice video clip. In case I wasn't clear about the sweater, it isn't my style at all. But it was so far out from the regular sweaters I find and cheap enough that I grabbed it just to be safe. There are "things" I will never understand, and this sweater fit the "strange enough it quite possibly could be a thing somewhere" category. :)

15. OolongT

OolongT Senior member

The combination of materials reminds me of an ridiculous looking Bally sweater I picked up a long while back. Unable to compare interior tags until at least this evening though.

1 person likes this.
  16. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Yep, La Pavoni Europiccola, same model and year as the one I found and refurbished. Missing the portafilter and drip tray.

If it doesn't power on, probably the switch went bad from moisture/corrosion. Common issue for those. I got a replacement switch for mine for $24.00, along with a set of replacement seals, from espressoparts.com. They might have the parts you're missing, too. Refurbishing was not that complicated. It comes apart fairly easily, just clean the parts, descale the boiler, replace the seals and lube everything and you're good to go. Getting the wiring right was the trickiest part; the new switches get wired up slightly differently than the old ones. I painted my base black while I had it apart.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28 people like this.
  17. shirtsnmor

shirtsnmor Senior member

That is sweet!

Does it pull a good shot? It's a single boiler, right? I was thinking of upgrading to a dual boiler for temperature consistency, but I love the look and manual lever action of the Pavoni.

18. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Well, I'd say it can pull a good shot. As with any espresso, you have to know what you're doing. And the manual nature of it makes getting good shots trickier than regular machines, because in addition to all the usual variables of grind, distribution, tamp, temperature, infusion time, etc., you're introducing another variable with pressure. So that can make it trickier to get a good, consistent shot nailed down. But once you know what you're doing, the variability there does allow for more experimentation with different methods and time/pressure profiles.

I make no claims of knowing what I'm doing, but I have gotten some really good shots from it. A lot of poor ones, too, though that's user error more than anything else.

1 person likes this.
  19. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  20. snackbandit

snackbandit Senior member

Hell yeah! Thanks for the info @Orgetorix

I was totally going to flip it as-is, but seeing those resto results have inspired me to take on this little project. Good stuff!