1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

nope no nanda.

Is-i-ay-e-a

That comes from the man I know that has worked for isaia for over 20 years.

2. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Kevin Garnett tells Craig Sager to burn his Isaia jacket.

17 people like this.
  3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

4. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Sweet my e thrift came today, took forever to find them in my size and talked the guy down quite a bit, just need some laces
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

In italian you do not pronounce an " I " as You do here so the correct answer is the one Chet gave.its like Ferarri...its ee at end not ei.
    Or another example is Porsche...the e at end is prounced not silent.
    And yes I do speak German.

6. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Or better yet Brioni...iys Breeoni not Breioni.
    Same with Kiton...i's are always "ee"

7. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

I always liked this short video...

9 people like this.
  8. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

That settles every question ever, for time immortal. (or is it "time immemorial"?)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Someone should start a fashion pronunciation guide. I mispronounce stuff all the time because I only read about it on the Internet. (That video is a good start.)

3 people like this.
  10. TheNeedMachine

NYWAY.

Been fostering this orphan kitten for the last week. Was mean as hell when I got it - calmed down a lot since then. Patience, babe.

No comments from you cat haters - last time I posted a picture of I stray cat I took in, @capnwes told me to set it on fire, which was messed up, so hush if it's not your thing.

His name is Sparky.

[​IMG]

24 people like this.
  11. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I didn't see this earlier... Generally, event jerseys aren't worth picking up. Super-old vintage ones might be, but run of the mill century rides? Not so much... You might get lucky though and find a buyer who did the ride that year. All of the event jerseys I have in my shop are consignments. [​IMG]

12. jerms24k

jerms24k Senior member

Years of classical voice training taught me how to pronounce all of these languages, even if I don't really know what the words mean. The ones that really trip me up are ones that are either not in the language they appear to be in at first glance, or are pronounced non-traditionally for some reason. Italian is a very simple language to learn to pronounce because the vowels are all pure and the rules generally make sense. C's tend to do weird things at times, because of the combos with other consonants, and you have to watch out for "gl" and "gn," which we don't have precise versions of in English, but I don't consciously think about how to pronounce things anymore for the most part, unless it's like an English word with umlauts for no reason or something like that.

1 person likes this.
  13. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Senior member

Just some passes to show today. The Florsheim were too big. Cool tie, did I make a mistake leaving?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. TheNeedMachine

Gnocchi. I had to date an Italian girl for a while to learn how to pronounce that one.

1 person likes this.
  15. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

Been slim here but a couple pops

Both 100% linen
    [​IMG]

Is this a flaw on the collar or the nature of the linen? Seems kinda lame for an expensive shirt
    [​IMG]

Very church window-esque T&A tie
    [​IMG]

First time finding anything this old and it is in incredible shape for its age. I couldn't believe the date on the tag when I saw it. Could not leave it behind.
    [​IMG]
    The date is a little hard to read as part of it sits below the seam but that says September, 1929
    [​IMG]

Another fun find. 100% cashmere dinner jacket with beautiful smoked shell (I think) buttons. Made for a now defunct Reno menswear store. Makes me curious to look into when they were in business, as I've never heard of the store. Also, fits me pretty well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  16. carreragt7

carreragt7 Senior member

Short answer, yes. Go back and get that tie. Not sure if Pucci has as much of a male following but on the women's scarf side it's had popularity.
    It is actually a pretty similar design to a Pucci carf that my wife has so even if it isn't something you want to flip or kop for yourself, get it for me and I'll pay you via PayPal with some profit for ya. :)
    Edit: pucci ties ranging from preowned to NWT seem to be relatively cheap on eBay sold listings, like $10-50 average. NWT for the higher end of course. For $5 I'd grab it either way if I were you.

2 people like this.
  17. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

Thursday dinner and a show. 
Thrifted Hickey Freeman suit. Thrifted JW Nordstrom shirt. Thrifted Larusmiani 6-fold tie. Inherited tie bar. Kent Wang pocket square. Thrifted Bulova watch. Thrifted Cheaney shoes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9 people like this.
  18. suited

suited Senior member

Excellent.

1 person likes this.
  19. mrcmcklwht

mrcmcklwht Senior member

I bought this fishing bag and under the removable plastic lining was a box of flies
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cotton alpaca wool polyamid Rugger and silk linen short sleeve PRL
    [​IMG]
    Cotton cashmere linen JV
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The second one with this fabric I've found
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  20. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

that was pressed or ironed that way. you can wet it and unbunch that area and then press or iron it again. It might be less obvious if you do this.

2 people like this.