1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I think I remember when you found that. I think that was when Pejsek was still pulling insane stuff from SF thrifts as well. I recall thinking about making a thrift trip to SF around that time.

It was so long ago, I can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure my first thrift-store purchase was either a Kodak 4200 slide projector or a 60's Mersman end table to match one that I picked up off the curb on the way home from school.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    3 people like this.
  2. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

this reminded me of my first...i was 4. it was a Pillsbury Doughboy figurine. id be willing to bet its in a box in my parents attic still.

I remember how it was filthy...took it home and washed it up and looked brand new.

2 people like this.
  3. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

That's awesome. Did you start with a family member? I remember going to flea markets with my grandpa when I was around 7-8... super fun.

Interesting that you started in non-clothing items. End table is a good find.

Pejsek... whatever happened to him? His finds were/are the stuff of legend. I mean... really epic stuff, with provenance, etc.

1 person likes this.
  4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yep, my grandmother was an avid thrifter, coupon-clipper, yardsaler etc, etc, etc.

2 people like this.
  5. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

The first thing i remember that was thrifted for me were a pair of bruno maglis. My mom knew the brand because it was the time of the OJ trial and those are the infamous shoes he wore.

2 people like this.
  6. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

Dang I just got those nike prints yesterday in the black and white. I unfortunately had to pay retail. You would think I would find more Nike stuff being so close to Nike World Headquarters but it never shows up.

7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

First thrift? Probably a 25c bag of toys when I was 2 or 3, shopping with mom or grandma at Thrift Village. Most recent thrift was two minutes ago... A Pinarello cycling jersey.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

My almost first thrift was a Hermes shirt. I left it behind because it was $12 and had a small tear. When I looked up at home what they were worth I went back and it was gone. Someone put it on ebay and got $171 for it, that guy was Nataku and is now a good friend.

12 people like this.
  9. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

I used to thrift in high school in the 90s for weird t-shirts. When I started thrifting in earnest a decade later, first thing I bought was a crappy Pierre Cardin carry-on garment bag. I don't know why, I think I recognized the name and thought "this is a thing."

The first decent thing I found, soon after, was a pair of minty walnut Allen Edmonds Cliftons in my size, just when I was trying to find clothes for my first office job but didn't have much money. That's what got me thinking, "Woah, I wonder what else I can find doing this."

I remember my first donation to a thrift store better, back in high school: a Tommy Hilfiger tie I bought off eBay then decided against. I remember seeing it in the glass "valuables" case after I donated it and feeling strangely proud.

6 people like this.
  10. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Awesome reference, horrible movie!

The thrift gods provide.

nope

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yeah, I had absolutely no interest in clothing until high school. In elementary school and jr. high I was all about random old stuff and records/stereo equipment.

No clue about Pejsek, he literally vanished. We were in the middle of a trade and he just disappeared. Sucks because I had got some killer stuff from him in the mail too (his finds were indeed legit). Hoping nothing bad happened.

Orange and white gingham check. Awesome shirt.

One thrifted shirt led to a great friendship.:)

12. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

I don't always ride a bike*, but when I do, I wear thrifted Prada.
    [​IMG]

Thrifted Prada shirt; Dockers shorts from Nordstrom Rack; thrifted Tretorns; American Optical sunglasses.

And right at our midway point, we found this nice beer garden, and my gf was accommodating enough to agree to a mid-ride pint!

* Like once per year, approximately.

9 people like this.
  13. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

...hmmm...I've been hanging onto a Hermes shirt that looked good when I picked it up, but discovered a small nick on the back and one of the gold cuff buttons is missing. Wonder now if it's worth listing. Almost tossed it, then thought about maybe using a small iron-on patch so kept it. Just don't like listing damaged stuff.

14. Versace Guy

Versace Guy Senior member

The company that I worked for used to be right next to a Goodwill. I used to walk by it and thinking that it is a place that sells clothes to homeless people. It was only when I missed my bus after work one time, I decided to go in to waste some time till the next bus. I found a diffusion line YSL blazer that was 2 sizes too big and a LV orphan jacket. I had been visiting that store everyday after work since then :)

1 person likes this.
  15. Shanejosephxxx

Shanejosephxxx Senior member

Worked my 8th day in a row today so haven't been out in the field as much. Took Friday off so I'm gonna be out there all damn day! Just a few small pick ups from the past week or so. Versace isn't my thing so don't really care if it's real or not. Hand rolled edges and all that so who knows. It's more of a dark green but I just snapped a quick shot of it. Tie is Paul Stuart/Drakes. Really sad to hear one of our own passed on. I feel like posting some cool finds is exactly what he would have wanted us to do. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  16. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Versace is fake Holmes I'm sorry.

17. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nataku thanks for making me look there

21 people like this.
  18. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Mind you this was like 6 years ago. Values of most pre-owned clothing has decreased a decent amount since then.

19. carreragt7

carreragt7 Senior member

It's awesome seeing how close knit of a community it is on here, in this thread. I don't know anything about Brian but what you've all painted here, but it sounds like he was an awesome guy with a sad ending. Hopefully his story helps someone else realize there are those who care always, even in the land of the interwebz.

Any Glass furniture gurus here?
    Picked up one of these today. One of the end bottoms has a piece chipped off, but for the price thought it was worth grabbing. Heavy, real glass. Anyone know how to identify what company produced it? My google searches are coming up empty on identifying marks.
    Will upload some pics of mine, but it's still in the back of the Rover at the moment.

[​IMG]

**Edit. This is the one I picked up for $10. Coffee/end table size.**
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  20. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

Made my one stop count today. Mmmmm...#8 Chukkas
    [​IMG]

21 people like this.