1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

GAxBrioni collab, super limited

1 person likes this.
  2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

PM sent.

3. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Scored a Gustin starter kit...

[​IMG]

RIP @hbkshin... For anyone else struggling with family pressures. Having gone through similar bullshit, sometimes you just have to tell the people who put pressure on you and doubt you to fuck off and go on living your own life. I'm sorry that Brian felt ending it all was the only way out.

11 people like this.
  4. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Would probably sell but it's the old school square tag stuff you're looking for

5. colorvision

colorvision Senior member

2 people like this.
  6. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

Damn....RIP Brian

7. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

That truly is sad. Had a coworker do the same last year. Nobody saw it coming he never reached out. We miss him. The company started a new policy after that if we ever reach that pressure they now give paid days off to relax with a doctor's note. I think its a good policy.I hope that all realize there's always a better way out of whatever the situation may be. My condolences to his family and may he rip. I got lots of stuff I'll donate to a seller to help out with his final expenses and family. Just send me a pm.

8. tben

tben Senior member

EZ Moleskin Cashco
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    J Brand
    [​IMG]

Brunello Cucinelli Unfortunately Stained but Cheap--spot treating now
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everlane OCBD
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    For Me
    [​IMG]

x3 NWT BB
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my best goes out to Brian's friends and family.

3 people like this.
  9. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Jesus.. that really hits deep. Rip brian.

10. Ds13

Ds13 Senior member

Terrible :/. RIP Brian, I truly hope you're at peace.

11. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

I have been waiting for this day...and it has arrived. Had about 20 minutes to kill in between post office and picking my girl up from the airport, so naturally I stopped into the thrift near the airport and found my first Kiton! No pants, sadly (I tore the store apart and will definitely be checking back) but still thrilled. Nice POW pattern and dual exhaust.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just for good measure, this guy was hanging around too. Has several small stains throughout and surprisingly was able to talk them into giving it to me for $9.99 since I am rolling the dice on the stains coming out [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23 people like this.
  12. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

First I want to say somethingn. The amount of (casualties which is being used metaphorically on purpose here for a reason,) this site sees every month is not even worth noting. People like doing this try for it, try a little harder, try their hardest and then thing they've max themselves, afte 4 stops and a lunch break. The ones without the heart, drive motivations, or desire to succeed, those are the true casualties of this thread. Today we lost a member, however this man was a winner, he like those of us who stick around and grind this shit out daily, possessed the necessary character traits to succeed in thiis game and he did so. I do not view him as a casulty of this thread, I view him as a member who will always remain a part of this community, someone gone, someone we lost, but someone who proved themselves anything but a thrift thread casualty, never placed amongst the losers, the lack of motivation, the bust, the fucking xbox addicts and 40 year stay at homes, he proved himselv, like all f us who ahve been around for a little while have, an fortitude, personal ability and passion for this thing of ours, He carried himself like one, performed like one, and although he passed, he passed as one. Brain, you are and will forever remain a winner and never ever referred to in the same regard as those losers and causlties of this thread, your presence will live on, as willl your memory. The idea that you were in so much pain every moment of every day that you did what you did is truly a tragedy. However expecting those or telling those to do this and live like this isn't right, and his family must be crushed right now, however should be comforted by the fact that this was not going to be fixed with an intervention andd a sign of solidarity. His pain was far too severe, his suffering so constant and crippling that idea of death iss only thing that comforted him. The seriousness of this disease and its ability to grow and overpower your entire concsious mind is freightening and not something to looked upon lightly. A pain like this, is one of which none of us have or will ever experience (I truly wish for this to be true). So although we lost a true winner and a vital part of our community, we can all at least know that Brain is no longer feeling a pain in which the severity was so extreme that death was the only thing to cure it. RIP Brain, forever a Thrift thread Member besides us, Never a Casualty like the ones gone as easily forgotton and never asked nor cared for. I am not a religious man, however, if the Bibels narrative gets its day in the spotlight, and Muslims believe they get 72 virgins, while Tupac just gets a Ghetto, and these are all narratives in which people truly believe to be true, then I see no reason why mine and where I pray Brain to be and gets to spend forever, to be equally as belivable as it is possibile. A bedroom with a king size and a 100% Vicuna comforter. Sheets and pillow cases made of 100% Ricci Silk. For those Chili nights he will have is LP baby cashmere pajames, and for the warmer, his Derek Rose Pure silk, and the Hot, Derek Rose Cotton. the adjancent rooms will be designed just like that of Wes cave, rustic, manly, and racks filled with Kiton, a new jacket for each day forever. Jesus happens to be a Savile trained MTM crafter, and God is essentially one of those party boy host in vegas who make sure Brains getting bottles w/ Sparklers and laid by Angles, his choic both who and how many. Lastly and most importantly, when he is not doing this, BRAIN WILL ALWAYS HAVE A GOOGLE MAPPED OUT 12 STOP ROUTE THAT WILL BE FREE OF TRAFFIC ALL CONVENIENTLY CLOSE TO EACH OTHER, AND EACH ONE PROVIDING AN EXTREMELY RANDOM GRAIL ITEM THAT HES AT, SO NEVER SHALL IT GET OLD. Brian, I believe if heaven exsits at all, then you and all of us, will find ourselves in this land of Narnia, however, Brain wherever you are, your at peace the pain is over, and we will not forget the member that we lost psychically but will always be a part of this community. We were not close, but professional respect is all that was necesssriy for me. RIP.

(if you happen to be religious, I apologie for a seemingly lack of respect, I was simply trying to make a point that I have a right to believe hes somewhere else even better that is all)

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    7 people like this.
  13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Sneaker guys, what am I looking at here? I can hopefully get them for a good price, but want to know if they are worth pursuing. Nothing on the bay.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Everyone still awake and checking in, I would like to give you a heads up. I receieved a haul today of whcih most was given to me, the ties however and the shoes though, are on consignment. Now its Only about six pairs and about 8 ties or so, because he really cherishes these things and needs to move them for more though so hes testing me with these two............Now so you can recieve a full picture I will post the ties and shoes but they will be spoilered and titled so as no one is to be confused.

In reality though, once you pass these items, you will flat out forget their exsitence. In roughly an hour, I am going to drop a hual so fucking epic that words do not exsit that are approprite to articulate it. It's a haul that is as if you took the time Spoo thrifted the Store, removed the thousand or so pieces of sub par junk he had to buy just for the good stuff, and then its just the good stuff. It consistents of items that regular folks no matter their income, they cannot purchase, becuase these goods are not even made for their accessiblity, they are made for the premium members for the ranked store customers, the individuals who recieve the limited edtions and the 1 offs. These suits are mine and mine to share, and trust me, I know how some of you wil react and I'm fine with it. Because in all actuality, I could save all the time and jsut list the stuff and bank. However, if somelse had thsi shit and didnt post it, I would be furious , so I am doing this for a fucking reson.

If you, like myself, truly love classic menswear, then you are who this post is for and who my time is being spent on. I recognize how rare it is what I have, and it would be a fucking horrible disservice to not allow those who love this shit to see if first hand.

Lastly, this post will be dedicated to Brains memory, I want people to remember the massiveness or recall an image, I want any thought of all these goods I am sharing to result in remember you, cuz the Winners here, we never die, there are so few of use wh can do this shit like we do, we owe it to all of us, that those who took this shit on and succeeded is immortalized within this community. The weak are many, the strong are few, we participate in a on going darwinism experiment and I think enough have gone extinct that it may rival actual wildlife history. Be proud if you did it, remember Brain as you think of this be he di so as well.

Epicness is coming.....

P:S: It really is, I sat in my car outside for twenty minutes shaking after I got all this shit. I hate to hit two thrift to remeber what normal shit looked like. So Get your nightlights plugged in, check your closet and under the bed....shit could get weird

2 people like this.
  15. GetBlatzed

GetBlatzed Senior member

Is this a thing? Google was no help.

[​IMG]

16. firefit

firefit Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Caught Zegna. Didn't take it, but should have. I'm more of a newbie to this, but I've been taking frequent stops at the thrift shops, believe me. [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. tben

tben Senior member

If it was an orphan, you did the right thing.

18. firefit

firefit Senior member

Chances are, it was. Whoever got it probably didn't do their research. I see a lot of suit jackets at Goodwill, and I just pass on them because I'm still learning about menswear. But yes, it isn't a far-reaching speculation that it was an orphaned suit jacket. It seems like it was though.

19. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

In b4 Jompso's haul.

Tried hitting some stores for the half off sales. Ended up walking away with a couple shirts for my brother-in-law and a couple other things. I went to a couple places over lunch and found some stuff so I decided to hit them again after work and stop by a couple more stops.

This was what I came home with.
    [​IMG]

Mostly boring stuff but here are some crappy pics of the things I liked.

First, the dumbest thing I've ever liked. Vtg Screen Stars T-shirt
    [​IMG]

Jack Spade pants
    [​IMG]

One for dem Loheads
    [​IMG]

Legit vintage 1984 Born in the USA tour Springsteen sweatshirt. I don't think it's ever been worn or washed.
    [​IMG]

From half off day. Reunited some orphans and made a 1950s BB sack suit
    [​IMG]

Cashmere Brioni triple patch pocket SC - N/A
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Loud-ass Dunn & Co Harris Tweed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Belvest tweed (it's actually a really interesting plaid, but it's not showing up in pics.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18 people like this.
  20. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

I didn't know Brian well. But like everyone here I caught glimpses of his life through his posts as @hbkshin . A hobby like ours feels so trivial in light of a tragedy like this. But as trivial as it is, it meant a lot to him, and he once wrote that he considered everyone here friends. So with that in mind, I put together a roundup of some of his posts as a way to remember our friend.

BRIAN AS WE KNEW HIM​

In the beginning there was dated Bill Blass and licensed YSL.
    Quote: And questions. All the timeless questions.
    Quote: Quote: Quote: Nope, nope, and nope. But soon his luck began to change.
    Quote: Then bam—two vicuna coats within his first few months.
    Quote: [​IMG]

He did his homework.
    Quote: Soon, instead of asking questions, he was answering them.
    Quote: Many firsts were yet to follow.
    Quote: Quote: And some popcorn-worthy reports of epic scores. [​IMG]
    Quote: Quote: Patience wasn't always his strong suit.
    Quote: But thoughtfulness was. He gave one of the all-time best Secret Santa gifts.
    Quote: Quote: He found fulfillment in our little hobby—and aspired to make it more than a pastime.
    Quote: But mostly it was a lot of fun.

And occasionally awkward.
    Quote: He had a sense of humor.
    Quote: Be confident and make her laugh. I suggest drinking and laser tag.

He pondered on the finer points of tailored clothing. [​IMG]
    Quote: Quote: He introduced us to the weird world of diaper collecting and reselling.

One of his final posts gave patient and friendly advice to a new member.
    Quote: He looked forward to the future.
    Quote: When things got bad, he found a measure of comfort here, which is no small thing.
    Quote: Finally, he signed off one night with this post, which seems like a fitting end to this little remembrance.
    Quote:

74 people like this.