1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

Decided to brave the holiday 50% sales today at the local spots.

Spring stuff: Lululemon shorts, Uniqlo linen and J. Crew gingham for myself with a couple ties for my girl's dad (he's a big Harley guy)
    [​IMG]

Fairly current (I think) Burberry London jacket with dual exhaust. Looked everywhere for the pants but no dice. Didn't want to leave it behind for $3.50

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

Yes, great tip to carry on your nice stuff. Lesson learned and fortunately, not the hard way!

3. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Is anyone here lylelem on eBay by chance?

4. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

@COtoKS

1 person likes this.
  5. cadmonkey

cadmonkey Senior member

synergy [​IMG], saw this guy yesterday along with nwt steven alan, and a nwt bb linen

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Deets on Jens Risom?
    That Nishiki is a good bike.anytime you see chrome on forks and a fluted seat post that shit wasnt cheap.
    Plus its a tall bike...easy 250 on CL

7. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

@330CK
    Didn't realize this was brand was "thing" been sitting in one for a few months now lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  8. mistermidwester

mistermidwester Senior member

After more research, it looks like the Risom is actually part of a floating desk. It's basically a walnut filing cabinet. It needs a little love, but it was dirt cheap, so we're going to rehab it and have our first Risom piece. :)

I am psyched about the Nishiki, as it's my size, but I already have 3 bikes, so I'm going to have to give at least one of them the boot. Crazy thing on the Nishiki is that it seems like it was just tuned up. New tires (still have the nubs), tubes, and it shifts super clean and everything is clean and grime-free. I rode it around tonight and it's growing on me, but it needs a new seat, as that thing busted my ass.

:slayer:

1 person likes this.
  9. turkey_sandwich

turkey_sandwich Senior member

Guys, anyone have luck with shrinking stretched alpaca/silk blend knits? I picked up an Inis Meain cable knit sweater today but it was hanging on a hanger and the neck is a bit stretched. This thing is so damn soft though and fits perfectly.

10. bpk1

bpk1 Senior member

Some stuff..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Really nice 3 roll 2, patch pocket x Mabro:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This thing is wild.. one button, dual-short vents...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another 3/2...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pretty sure this tie was made by Italo Ferretti?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Odd EZ tie...double ended?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is definiitely NA...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    18 people like this.
  11. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

When I first started thrifting I found a 100% alpaca Pringle cardigan with a spot on it, put it in the washing machine, 30 minutes later it was in the trash can.

3 people like this.
  12. turkey_sandwich

Haha, duly noted. It's not terrible and it's returnable (found it at the Rack for a ridiculous price). I'm mostly concerned about whether it will continue to get worse.

13. eazye

eazye Senior member

^^^^get just the neck wet and throw it in the dryer on low for a few seconds/mins

14. Takai

Takai Senior member

Anyone on here fastfiat81?

15. 330CK

330CK Senior member

Sick. It's good shit. Still hand made in North Carolina.

16. turkey_sandwich

Thanks @eazye.

17. carreragt7

carreragt7 Senior member

Is this a thing? If so, what is the name of this style of shirt? Couldn't find any of the same shirt or even style but figured my keyword choices weren't any good. RL Polo, made in USA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  18. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

In terms of thrifting, Knoxville sucks big fat donkey dicks. Considering a population of almost 200,000, it is by far the weakest mid-size city that I have ever visited.

1 person likes this.
  19. carreragt7

carreragt7 Senior member

Two posts in *almost* a row, but I don't care. Got this a couple days ago for $5. It was plugged into the testing area, so I assumed someone had tested and found it to be inoperable. It didn't seem to respond to pushing of buttons, but for an Abe Lincoln, I wasn't passing on B&O. Brought it home and forgot about it for a couple days.

Plugged it in, nothing. Played around with the only buttons and switch I could find, nothing. Downloaded the only manual I could find, doesn't indicate how to turn it on. Seriously, what kind of manual doesn't include THAT info?
    Bummed out, I decide I'll just go grab my adapter (it's made for the 30 pin Apple products, not lightning) and plug in my phone to see if that does anything. The moment I plug in my phone, center button lights up and my phone vibrates showing its receiving a charge. Play a song, works beautifully. So ends my novel on getting my working Bang & Olufsen Beosound 8 speaker system for $5.
    Definitely NA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16 people like this.
  20. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

Nice find! Definitely a thing! I'm jelly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pol...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It looks like this one has a couple of repaired holes too. How is yours condition-wise? Could fetch even more!

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    1 person likes this.