1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. aging in rhythm

aging in rhythm Senior member

@jompso

There's one in Atwater that I don't suggest you bother visiting

2. cadmonkey

cadmonkey Senior member

I think one per city? This is the only one I could find on Google maps and supposedly services rejects from all the other gw in the area. Its literally bins after bins after bins and they roll out new ones after every hour(?)

3. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

I went to one in Minnesota once and it was such a weird experience. Felt like something out of The Walking Dead, people like zombies just grabbing junk indiscriminately from conveyor belts and taking it back to their hoards around the room.

3 people like this.
  4. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

They are not everywhere. I've been to the one in the Denver area, but San Jose did not have one. There is one in Burlingame (closer to SF), but I never checked it out.

Definitely a different breed of thrifters there...

5. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Best done as a team, cart watcher and shit grabber. If you had a highly efficient listing system and weren't worried about your overall store quality, I would see it being worth it because you will get tons of fodder for pennies.

1 person likes this.
  6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

so @TheNeedMachine tipped me off to this live auction that was going down in Jersey from a seemingly obsessed menswear hoarder. I drove down in the morning to see what it was all about. They had probably 900 jackets and suits, 250 outerwear pieces, thousands of shirts, pants and sweaters, and a few hundred ties. Every auction started between 10-25 bucks for the most part. I scoped out the room and there were only guys who came down to shop for themselves. They tried all the stuff on and when it didnt fit them, they left. Leaving me and a handful of Russian dudes to be the only real interested parties in the room. It was crazy because they did most every auction individually (shit took like 7 hours) and they started with like 100 NIB Brioni shirts and the Russian dudes were bidding up to $150 per shirt for some dated point collar jams. I was scared that the suit and coat action would be out of control but the first auction was a Kiton suit and starting bid was $25 and I bid…and then…crickets. Nobody outbid me. OK….. That continued for the rest of the day, I let them have all the shirts and I took most all the quality suits. About 70% of them were bespoke (sadly not savile row) so not really too flippable. I was already exhausted and couldnt sit there for another 5 hours while they did the sweaters and ties, but I probably could have got 200 Brioni ties for like 8 bucks each if I did. INSANE. Took me 4 hours to drive home in rush hour traffic but it was so worth it. On average everything came to under $40 or so per piece, including the buyers premium. The only pieces I paid in the low 3 digits for were the NWT Brioni leather and the NWT Brioni shearling. Best wins were the Kiton suit at 25, NWT Cifonelli leather at 35, NWT Cifonelli suede at 30, and the LP jacket at 20. Uncontested bids. :slayer:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    50 people like this.
  8. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

You're annoying...[​IMG]Love you Spoo!

1 person likes this.
  9. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Brioni shearling....damn.
    Also you better shoot one of those Kitons down to NeedMachine as a thank you.

1 person likes this.
  10. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

PS I has a sad that nobody got the Dieter Sprockets touch my monkey reference.

11. SpooPoker

i got that shit
    i gave you a thumb
    now we dance

12. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

Ya'll use auctionzip or do you find there's a website that suits auction hunting better?

13. wumpyfish

wumpyfish Senior member

Well, not as good a day[​IMG]
    as going to an auction down in Jersey....RLPL golf shirt, is it fake? Matches up with 2 others I have thrifted, so I have either 3 authentic or 3 stripper augmentations. Also a Corneliani Donegal silk cashmere tweed that I am going to introduce to that "odd" pair of trousers that have not made it into the rotation in five years.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  14. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

Guys in Los Angeles; hit up Nordstrom Rack today. They're doing their "clear the racks" event. I just checked out the Topanga location and nabbed a Canali Kei sportcoat ($1,600 retail) for $98.98, and a Samuelsohn "Soft" sportcoat for $164.25 ($1,100 retail). I'm going to try out a couple more locations soon, but the one I checked out had A LOT of great clearance items, I was just in a bit of a hurry, so I had to run.

3 people like this.
  15. Pierson v Post

Pierson v Post Senior member

I've been to the one in Palm Beach....I'll never go back LOL.

16. Pierson v Post

Pierson v Post Senior member

Went to a different GW today that writes the prices of the shirts right on the maker's tag GRRR...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Mr G from SD

Mr G from SD Senior member

Our Goodwill outlet is literally a few blocks from the Mexican border. I went there once probably 5 years ago. Walked through the door and saw all these ladies elbowing each other and fighting for every crap piece of clothing. I'm assuming they wanted stuff to sell across the border, or give to family, etc. I stood in the doorway for a few seconds, glanced around, and then hit the road, never to return again.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. Mr G from SD

Mr G from SD Senior member

This is awesome, but I don't feel like storing things until fall. Available. Can't find a size tag but it's 23" p2p.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  19. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yeah, that about sums up my one and only experience there. A friend who went with almost got his hand cut up when he tried to pick up a pair of Red Wing boots off the floor. Apparently those were part of one guy's pile.

Found a few things today.

Haven't found shell in forever. Florshiem Imperial PTB V-cleats. 11 D. Available.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12 people like this.
  20. GM-H

GM-H Senior member

I found a rather fetching fair isle jcrew sweater at my local outlet, then an addict threw up on my air max 90s. Fuck those places

4 people like this.