1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Money.

1 person likes this.
  2. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Senior member

Orphan. So heart broken as its my size. Will keep checking back in hopes the pants turn up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. COtoKS

COtoKS Senior member

I bought this exact turntable on Craigslist last year for $175 and considered it a screaming deal...

4. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Anyone live in Tulsa?
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Yo what's that turntable all about?

/TTnoob

6. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

I was wondering the same thing. I'm sure one of the audiophiles on here can tell you why it's good but I found that's it's expensive, according to eBay sold listings.

7. 330CK

330CK Senior member

That is still a screaming deal.

Want.

Respectable company, build quality, component quality, design--aesthetic and technical.

More specifically: this table features a dual-plinth design. Basically two boards, one holds the motor, the other the platter and the tonearm. The two boards are held together by a special kind of material that absorbs vibration. Since a TT basically works by picking up on vibrations from etchings on a vinyl disc, vibration from the motor can interfere and severely impact the sound quality. This is why you'll see some very high end tables with a completely separate motor.

Other reasons: precise motor/rotation speed--a fraction too fast or slow and the sound is affected; upgraded cartridge (needle); Special Edition with wood veneer.

5 people like this.
  8. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Better quality, better build, better sound, better durability. Like the difference between a pleather jacket from Target (Sony turntable from Best Buy) and a real leather jacket from Neiman Marcus (Music Hall turntable). (I'd say "a leather jacket from Kiton" but that would be more McIntosh-level turntable IMO...).

Model and cartridge will drive the price up...not sure which model that one is, nor cartridge.

2 people like this.
  9. double00

double00 Senior member

2 people like this.
  10. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

Those come up on the bay allot. That's the small one they made a 6 foot one.

11. Spruce Moose

The Fitzgerald orphan posted above in a gorgeous charcoal herringbone really bummed me at first but I did find my 5th brand new Eton shirt in my size over the last few weeks. This one looks great too.

Also my first vineyard vines tie and purple label tie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First time seeing Sulka. Passed on it tho. The new Zegna was really nice but sleeves were like a 32.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. the2ndhandman

Delete

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  13. the2ndhandman

Was going to inspect and Noticed this was the cheapest out of all of them. Still haven't caught on.

[​IMG]

I will proxy if anybody wants new never worn. Size 9

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  14. piyi

piyi Well-Known Member

I have had some time to check out the Box o' Knowledge, it is now time for me to send it on its way. The Box contains some interesting items. There are several ties, some real, some fake. There are some cordovan samples, and some samples of lizard, alligator, and snake. There is a selvedge edge jean sample, and a fake Burberry. You can actually look at and touch them, next time you come across these items in the field, you will know. I would like to thank all of the members who have contributed to the Box. It has provided me with some very useful knowledge. If you are interested in the Box you can PM richnet12 and check it out for the cost of postage.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  15. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

holy shit. this is amazing. this is a year or two of thrifting experience.

16. jumpman1231

jumpman1231 Senior member

Not anything like the hauls found here lately but I was excited I found my first brioni anything besides a tie!

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  17. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The real draw there are the "Spoo was here" belts.

2 people like this.
  18. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

What was wrong with the Sulka tie? Please return thyself to store and make purchase.

1 person likes this.
  19. Spruce Moose

Nothing wrong with it, I just have one in a very similar pattern already and I rarely wear ties as it is. I know we have a ton of members here from Toronto so if anyone wants it, it's at Hurontario/Eglinton area Value Village. They also have a dozen made in Italy, brand new banana republic ties but they want $15 a pop. Oh and a NES with two controllers and a gun for 79. Stack some coupons [​IMG]

20. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Big big big shout out to @kbadgley84 for the tip off on this E thrift - with no mention of the ostrich lining under every flap or the 100% silk lining. I'm fairly certain this could be Zilli. And it fits me PERFECT. N/A :slayer:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    22 people like this.