• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpmac7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the explanation. 

Explaining why its **** is different that just saying thats ****. One is a lesson, the other is just condescending.

So then how does one ask questions? I did search through threads, but sometimes I dont even know what to search for. 

We all have been in the situation that you are in right now. My two cents will be to do research like others have suggested. Many of us have read this thread, and many others, all the way through. After that if you still have a question you can easily look up whatever you are asking about on Ebay search results. If you are still confused then I would suggest asking a question on here. The thing people have problems with is when you ask literally every question that you have, and could of easily looked on ebay search results. You arent going to get anywhere doing that. Many of us have helped many new people like your self when PM (Private Message) as well.

jamesmkeart

Reaction score

I happen to agree with you. And I hope we move on quickly to finds.

Unfortunately, that's not how the internet -- particularly Styleforum -- works.

This thread is better than most, and if you stick around, you'll form wonderful friendships. So I hope you give us a chance. Lots of new folks get the business, so don't let the heat get you down.

I just like looking at cool ****, so here's a few things I got recently that I think are cool.

Old made in USA chaps hat I got from @SpooPoker as part of a trade

It goes with this 90s chaps denim jacket with metal buckles

Some Brooks brothers makers ties

Dead stock prl tie with a similar aged one

If you're into a more casual look here's a PRL tennis jacket

And I enjoy this L.L. Bean military style made in England wool sweater

Last edited:

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation.

Explaining why its **** is different that just saying thats ****. One is a lesson, the other is just condescending.

So then how does one ask questions? I did search through threads, but sometimes I dont even know what to search for.
Like others have said, there are thousands of posts in this thread and the previous thread. (here if nobody has linked it yet: http://www.styleforum.net/t/9006/the-official-thrift-discount-store-bragging-thread/0_100)

Asking questions about things that have been answered countless times can get on people's nerves. It's one thing to find something rare, coming up blank on your own search, and asking if anyone knows anything about the maker. The licensed Christian Dior stuff has been covered ad nauseam so that's why people will answer harshly.

Imagine this is like a basketball messageboard or something. If the main conversation is based around nuances of the game and someone started asking what a free throw is. It really is a brag thread with a lot of people willing to give answers and opinions to anyone. It's just that so much info is already in here that it breaks the flow and becomes tiresome to the people who have been posting for years.

Definitely trying to not be a dick. Getting used to nuances of new boards/threads isn't easy. Just giving my $0.02.

namdaemun

Reaction score
First off thanks for the info.

Secondly if you are saying that asking questions will wear thin, this clearly isnt a place for learning.

Sorry, this may be a TLDR post

This is not a poke at you but more of just a general observation/opinion

It boggles my mind when "new" people aka noobies come onto this thread asking for information to be answered and/or asking for places that have the best places to find goodies. NOTHING is free in life. Provide value and value will be provided back to you. I used to be one of those noobies who would open EVERY SINGLE jacket and look at the inner label tag to determine if I found something good. Now, I just do a quick feel of the jacket and determine whether to move on or not. This has taken me from 30 minutes searching in a store to 10 minutes max. Same goes for waistbands and etc. All of this is from the RESEARCH I had to allocate toward, which amounts to 100+ hours of "studying". Also, a lot of it is from people on here who I've befriended and will annoyingly text them if this is something they've seen before. Thank you to Bob, Brett, and Brian

DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!! This entire thread (more so the previous one) is an entire encyclopedia of knowledge regarding labels, history of brands, and other fodder. If you don't want to do the research then don't hate on someone for not wanting to provide you 1. the info or 2. pointing you in the right direction of where to look.

Lastly, if you are simply buying stuff for yourself then beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If to flip/sell/trade, whether or not you want to invest x $ into something that will get you a crap return is solely up to you. I do the latter so I only go for stuff I know I can get a great return.

Anyways, I'm not poking fun at you. I'm simply pointing out why you don't feel this isn't a great place to learn ... Do you want me be taught or told what to do?

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting my fuckboy on:

Rick Owens DrkShdw gimp hoodie(deep discount)
Rag & Bone tee(deep discount)
Naked & Famous indigo stretch selvedge(from @Koala-T )
Common Projects(from @Takai )

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: But that's not it, though. There are a couple of basic tutorials made by site members (one of whom posted in response to MC's request, the other is over at PutThisOn. I've said before that while it's great that other's have read the entire thread, and I'd encourage it, it's not a valid response to a noob asking for help. It's more a hazing or weeding out type of response than anything else. It's like saying, "**** you noob, I had to do it, so should you." Why not just help people who ask for help?

noob15

Reaction score
We all have been in the situation that you are in right now. My two cents will be to do research like others have suggested. Many of us have read this thread, and many others, all the way through. After that if you still have a question you can easily look up whatever you are asking about on Ebay search results. If you are still confused then I would suggest asking a question on here. The thing people have problems with is when you ask literally every question that you have, and could of easily looked on ebay search results. You arent going to get anywhere doing that. Many of us have helped many new people like your self when PM (Private Message) as well.

This x 100!

Before I even said a word in here I spent days reading the old thread trying to learn more than what I knew. Not only that, but when you didn't get glowing accolades on your first post you got combative and defensive.

Read a lot, talk a little and try to contribute. Remember that many of the posters on this thread not only make a decent living at this, but also act as mentors for many others and try to imagine how wearing that can become after a little bit. Think of this thread as a way for people to chill after a hard day's work and you'll see why sometimes people can be short fused when you act like someone peed in your Cheerios instead of showering you with gold coins. :)

And this isn't meant to add to the dogpile, it's meant to be constructive criticism.

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But that's not it, though. There are a couple of basic tutorials made by site members (one of whom posted in response to MC's request, the other is over at PutThisOn. I've said before that while it's great that other's have read the entire thread, and I'd encourage it, it's not a valid response to a noob asking for help. It's more a hazing or weeding out type of response than anything else. It's like saying, "**** you noob, I had to do it, so should you." Why not just help people who ask for help?

It's not even close to saying "**** you noob, I had to do it, so should you". Look at his responses, he's acting appalled that he would get some sort of backlash(and not from me) for asking questions when, if you think about how long this thread has been going on, have been answered probably 100's of times. I have no issues with the guy but he got super defensive from the jump. This thread is far from insular and we've had SO many new posters even since I've been here. People don't even have to read the entire thread but hell, spend a couple of weeks just keeping up with the thread and you'll learn a ton just from seeing what other people pick up. He received helpful answers to his questions but I don't think people want to explain, for example, what the good Dior is every day.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of questions, I have one.

Found a few Hermes ties the other day and two of them have that classic "roll" that happens with Hermes ties after a while. Has anyone figured out the best way to get rid of that roll? I tried laying it flat between some heavy blankets for a few days and that did nothing. Is gentle ironing between some towels the best way to go? I don't trust my dry cleaner to not press them flat.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of questions, I have one.

Found a few Hermes ties the other day and two of them have that classic "roll" that happens with Hermes ties after a while. Has anyone figured out the best way to get rid of that roll? I tried laying it flat between some heavy blankets for a few days and that did nothing. Is gentle ironing between some towels the best way to go? I don't trust my dry cleaner to not press them flat.
I would try gentle ironing between towels. It's worked for me.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not the way you say it, but I can think of a few people in this thread who wield it like a cudgel.

Haha, that's probably true but this thread wouldn't be nearly as fun without those people!

In reality, if any new poster has any questions, feel free to PM me. I've extended this offer to plenty of people before. I don't know everything but I know quite a bit.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And let's not forget that this is an elitist thread. Not in the sense of people's attitudes, but of the content that gets posted here. It's the best of the best, the cream of the crop, whether that be outdoor gear, classic menswear or streetwear and denim. Yea, you are free to post your ****** shoes and licensed Dior if that's what you're into, but don't be mad when you get called out on it, especially after people tried to point you in the right direction and in a nice manner I might add. Nobody want's to see that ****. Why? Because we've seen and passed on it 1000's of times in thrift stores.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MikeChevelle

Reaction score
It's not even close to saying "**** you noob, I had to do it, so should you". Look at his responses, he's acting appalled that he would get some sort of backlash(and not from me) for asking questions when, if you think about how long this thread has been going on, have been answered probably 100's of times. I have no issues with the guy but he got super defensive from the jump. This thread is far from insular and we've had SO many new posters even since I've been here. People don't even have to read the entire thread but hell, spend a couple of weeks just keeping up with the thread and you'll learn a ton just from seeing what other people pick up. He received helpful answers to his questions but I don't think people want to explain, for example, what the good Dior is every day.

Last thing I will say on this. I got defensive because I was told my stuff was **** and I needed to spend time researching why. Its one thing to snub someones **** but a better response is to explain why.

There have been plenty of helpful people so far and I am thankful for that, but others have been quite rude when a simple, expanded answer would have went a lot further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads