• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is getting nowhere near enough love.

Yeah it's pretty swish. Size M, but it's sorta around an L? I'm a somewhat big dude (6'3" 210lbs) and it fits just a tad slim.

Made by "Odd Fellow Company": http://www.oddfellowco.com/ for this place: http://www.francesmay.com/

I drive by this place often, but have never been inside... almost intimidated to go in. They carry some of the highest grade designer stuff. Here's the product page: http://www.francesmay.com/collectio...t-dry-goods-x-fm-downtown-proper-jacket-olive

It's like unworn. Can't believe someone would just plunk down $375 for it, then give it to the Goodwill just up the street from where they bought it lmao. :shrug:

Oh yeah, I also copped these within the past week:

Nike Dunk High's. Size 14. Going into my personal collection so N/A. They cleaned up pretty well!

Okay so these are an oddity. The markings on the bottom say "L W". They're like a size 15+. Any really big-footed guys need some Bean Boots? Would let em go for Cost + S&H.

Last edited:

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Letric @Tweets

For your bean boots finds, if size isn't marked on the sole there is often a small fabric tag sewn on the inside of the boot on the instep side where the tongue splits off from the interior of the upper. You may need to unlace the boots and dig around but IME 9/10 it's there, particularly on Tweets shearling. that being said unfortunately 7/10 if you do find a tag it'll be too worn and faded to make out the sizing.

Also if there's a removable insole, that will sometimes have a size or size range printed on it as well (usually on the bottom).

Last edited:

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, cool. Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how sellable they are, due to large size... But I have 3 pairs of them in backlog now, so they will all get listed this week. Them Bean Boots are hot still, right?

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, went back to the hood to see if I can find anymore pooles. I found 4 vests. These were the extra 2 I found which led me to believe there are 2 more matching suits. Well, I know where I'll be camping for the next month or so.

At first I thought these might be from 2 different makes because the hardware were different and the marking (labels? help me out there. What are these called? Raised markings?) were different. Anyone has handled Henry Poole? Maybe you guys can tell me something about their hardware.

But did manage to reunite 2 orphan vest to their matching pieces to from 3 piece!

Those signature stitchings were on 2 vests. The other 2 didn't have them. But the lining were the same on 3 and 1 had different lining.

Swished on diffusion. Still no pop on mainline. Jacket kinda small and has moth holes...Sitting in the freezer for now. Jacket is kinda dated...

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
To the bro who's asking about quality vs label.. I just pulled a rlpl pants without looking at the label but relied only on the built quality. So, the skills to recognize quality clothes will come with time and practice.
+1 . When you completely disregard Labels, buying items by construction, aesthetic, and fabric content? you will inevitably own a closet full of Grails.

Actually I been reading a lot of threads on here. Not sure why you feel the need to make that comment. Everyone starts somewhere. Sorry my stuff isnt worthy of your time to look at. I am not just going to sit and not post because I didnt find some $1000 gem.

Im not here to flip stuff and have you do my homework. I bought those items after researching what I could and liking them because they fit me and were quality items.
I understand where you are coming from. but i am going to drop some truth.
Nobody came in hotter, burned brighter, and lit as many fires as i did in the last thread. i pretty much destroyed everything, and every opinion, in my path. Polarizing the thread in the process. looking back?
i don't see the sense in it. it doesn't pay to be easily offended, overly defensive, or Compete for domination. -even caring if others can't appreciate that your swag works for you.
Since mellowing out a little, fences have been mended, as it turns out, my biggest foe and i actually have much in common.Building a solid dealing relationship. so chilling out was a win.

Do yourself the favor, and chill out from the start. post what you like, comment on what you like, fitpic what you like. the rest will take care of itself. it only matters if YOU enjoy the content you provide, enjoying what others post and gaining from their gifts to us as content is what will help you grow. and in return build a rep, and produce more positively received posts.
I thought I was pretty clear I was asking if anyone could point me in the direction of a "101" style page that gave me an intro. When the first answer was read a 28,000 page thread, I simply asked if there was a more condensed starting point. I have no doubt the wealth of information in this thread.

Your education starts NOW. after 6 months you will be a graduate, after 1.5 years? = Masters, 3 Years? =a Doctorate in Thrifting (PHD)

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

@Letric @Tweets

For your bean boots finds, if size isn't marked on the sole there is often a small fabric tag sewn on the inside of the boot on the instep side where the tongue splits off from the interior of the upper. You may need to unlace the boots and dig around but IME 9/10 it's there, particularly on Tweets shearling. that being said unfortunately 7/10 if you do find a tag it'll be too worn and faded to make out the sizing.

Also if there's a removable insole, that will sometimes have a size or size range printed on it as well (usually on the bottom).

You can also measure the insoles and take off about 1/2" to find the foot length equivalent for the size. It's not an exact science, but I've had good luck doing this.

Spruce Moose

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, the brands get easier and easier to remember as you go. Other signs to look for are materials and construction, also country of origin. Fine wools, luxury fabrics, interesting blends, fabrics with a nice "hand". Hand sewn details like button holes, pick stitching, collar attachment, that little loop at the top of the fly on pants that keeps your belt from moving around. All of these are (just a few) indicators of quality. Anything made in Italy, France, England, and, depending on the item, the US are usually quality items.

But really, it's a combination of all of these things that you are looking for. A good brand, handmade of quality materials in a 1st world country known for fashion. Without writing you a textbook, that's the best I think you are going to get without just throwing yourself into this thing. Hope it helps.
LOL I just learned that's what it is for. I have it on a few of my Zegna Incotex trousers

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ah, cool. Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how sellable they are, due to large size... But I have 3 pairs of them in backlog now, so they will all get listed this week. Them Bean Boots are hot still, right?

I'm in new england. Bean boots are still on a wicked backlog and we just started getting snowed on. I'd put them up this weekend and watch them sell like hot cakes.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't see a hole in the Pendleton. How many stitches is it? It might be something I can re-knit. I'm getting better at that.

Just noticed another hole next to the first one, so 2 holes...

How do I figure out how many stitches it is?

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually I been reading a lot of threads on here. Not sure why you feel the need to make that comment. Everyone starts somewhere. Sorry my stuff isnt worthy of your time to look at. I am not just going to sit and not post because I didnt find some $1000 gem.

Im not here to flip stuff and have you do my homework. I bought those items after researching what I could and liking them because they fit me and were quality items.

It was a joke man, sorry if it didn't come off that way.

Im sorry I dont see spending $5 on a pair of Ecco in good condition a waste. There will always be something more expensive out there that I might find, but in the mean time 97% off the new price is fine with me.

Im not here to flip everything I find. Will I learn and maybe find something I didnt know about that is flip worthy? Sure, but in the mean time I will wear what I find and enjoy what I have.

That being said, if you want to learn and grow, sometimes you need to hear the harsh truth. The shoes you posted should all be re-donated, they are terrible in both quality and style. They have no place in your wardrobe if you intend to be a better dressed individual. Get rid of them, cut your loses and call it a lesson learned. Seriously, if you stick around for any amount of time, you will see why you got flack for those. Everybody makes mistakes in the begining, **** I made a mistake the other day, and I've been doing this for quite some time. You can sit there and say "well, I'm buying stuff because I like it, **** you" and that's fine, but you will not grow as a person if you stay stagnant and neither will your style. Don't take this comment the wrong way, I'm honestly trying to point you in the right direction.

Also, I don't mean to double post... and maybe this is more a question for the eBay thread, but how are we feelin my photography skills? I recently decided to not do mannequin shots anymore, since the flat jacket shots are much more quick and easy. Feedback is appreciated!

They look great!

MikeChevelle

Reaction score
It was a joke man, sorry if it didn't come off that way.

The shoes you posted should all be re-donated, they are terrible in both quality and style. They have no place in your wardrobe if you intend to be a better dressed individual. Get rid of them, cut your loses and call it a lesson learned.
I dont always do well seeing jokes with out emoticons, thats why they were invented.... :)

With all due respect, 100% your opinion. Others have commented that they think Ecco's are a good shoe. Im not and no one else is saying they are the best shoe. I have has two pair of Ecco for 8 years and they still are in great shape, are comfortable and look fine.

I am here to learn about other brands I may not have known about. Not think my stuff is **** because yours is nicer.

I understand what you are saying, but style is a personal choice, influenced by others, not decided by..... Like I said I have seen some ugly **** in this thread, Im sure its a quality piece, but ugly, but hey thats someones style not mine.

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I dont always do well seeing jokes with out emoticons, thats why they were invented.... :)

With all due respect, 100% your opinion. Others have commented that they think Ecco's are a good shoe. Im not and no one else is saying they are the best shoe. I have has two pair of Ecco for 8 years and they still are in great shape, are comfortable and look fine.

I am here to learn about other brands I may not have known about. Not think my stuff is **** because yours is nicer.

I understand what you are saying, but I will decided what my style is.

Hey, ok man, that's cool. I tried. Carry on.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm all for not caving to others opinions of your individual sense of style, but you will definitely change for the better if you don't bristle at people disagreeing with you.

Wear what you like, but don't rub it in the faces of people here with a "**** you, I'll wear what I want" attitude. Doing that will just put you on a bunch of block lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads