1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Gajsek

Gajsek Senior member

I'd buy them for myself, but have no clue how Alden fits...
    I wear C&J in 10,5 D (UK size).

2. Pierson v Post

Pierson v Post Senior member

Brand new, un-laced, shell cordovan Allen Edmonds Park Avenues with the AE custom sole in my size? Sure, why not.

Well for starters, they're unlaced...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  3. thebuddahman

thebuddahman Senior member

Haha, I saw it in TK Maxx (UK) on my lunch break. Knew you guys would appreciate it.

4. sharppockets

sharppockets Member

What size are the suits?

5. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

I've been out of commission recovering from surgery, so I haven't been out thrifting much (and I still need to ship some things to people -- sorry @IRKSM ). I did, however, have to bite the bullet, swallow my pride, and order a pair of betabrand's work sweatpants so I can actually go out into the wide world. I think work would frown on me rolling up in loose-fitting shorts, which is what I've been living in for the past three weeks. They get here tomorrow. So I'll let you guys know how that goes.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. Close Horse

Close Horse Well-Known Member

Best of luck for a quick and complete recovery.

I wore those Betabrand dress-sweats in solid charcoal to work about 10x, and no one caught on.

1 person likes this.
  7. eddiegreen

eddiegreen Senior member

A lucky, lucky bleeder beat me by about 10 seconds to the most minty, gorgeous, buttery John Lobbs today thus postponing my JL consummation.
    there was a consolation prize though..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've never dealt with suede shoes before, any hot tips on cleaning these up?

8 people like this.
  8. Gajsek

Gajsek Senior member

^Putting suede over steam refreshes it, for cleaning use a suede eraser and suede brush.
    But these are beyond ruined, I can take one for the team and try to fix them ;)

2 people like this.
  9. aging in rhythm

aging in rhythm Senior member

Robert Talbott BOC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BB Makers linen Repp
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vintage Talbott bowtie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BB Black Fleece sneakers. 10.5 - who wants to give these the love they deserve?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't usually buy women's but I will stop for Marni. size 41
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  10. Nickd

Nickd Senior member

I'd consider a pair of Edward Greens the main prize to be honest, assuming the Lobbs were Paris and not bespoke UK. I'd not be turning down either, don't get me wrong, but I have to admit to owning 6 pairs of EGs.

1 person likes this.
  11. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Quick stop
    VV, ST, Borrelli, BB cotton pocket square
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Been had drinkin coffee
    [​IMG]

9 people like this.
  12. eddiegreen

eddiegreen Senior member

yeah, it wasn't so much about makers, it was because they were the nicest JL shoes i have ever seen anywhere and in mint condition(cant find the model on google). I watched the guy who bought them trying them on and walking around the shop with them on for 5 minutes before buying. He paid £15 so i offered him £30 as he left, but he just said no without a second thought.

13. bpk1

bpk1 Senior member

So tried bringing it to an AD (Tourneau at Roosevelt Field, for those of us locals) and they said they wouldn't/couldn't open the case back because the pin holding the case to the bracelet is fused in place on one side. Said something about the tool they use not being able to open if the bracelet was in the way...

Any locals (paging @SpooPoker) have a local AD/watchmaker/repairman they suggest? Don't really feel like spending $50 to send it into Rolex to have them tell me it's a fake lol..

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Whaaaaa...... :wow:

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Try London Jewelers either in the Americana or in Glen Cove. The Americana one they are extremely helpful and very nice. I take all my watches there.

1 person likes this.
  16. Woofa

Woofa Senior member

Fyi.
    If you do end up sending it to rolex. Make sure you confirm pricing ahead of time. Basic servicing is way way more than $50. I had to have a bezel reconnected and it was over $500 with servicing.
    Good luck

1 person likes this.
  17. Nickd

Nickd Senior member

Now that's just rubbing it in - he could have had the decency to have bought them quickly and left!

1 person likes this.
  18. bpk1

bpk1 Senior member

Awesome, thanks! Was planning on trying the one in Americana to begin with, but was driving right past the Roosevelt Field one today so figured was worth a shot.

Yeah I fully anticipated it to be $500-1000, which I'd fine with (and that's the plan if it's real)! What I meant was more that shipping alone, because of insurance and having to be registered mail, signature confirm, etc would be ~$50, which would suck if it turned out to be fake.

1 person likes this.
  19. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I had to do that with a Movado, which turned out to be fake. What sucked even more was that the store had a 2 week return policy, but by the time I got it back, it was too late (I paid a fair amount for it, but assumed I was getting a nice deal on a legit Movado). What sucked still more is that they KNEW it was a fake and didn't mark it on the tag or tell me before I bought it - when I called to complain they said "check your receipt", which I did, and on the receipt it said "Replica"...you'd need to buy something from this store, and have the knowledge to check the receipt before leaving to see if they know it to be a fake or not.

2 people like this.
  20. bpk1

bpk1 Senior member

Ouch, that's awful... Horrible that a store would knowingly do that to a customer. Luckily I'm only into this thing for $8 so however it goes I'm not out too much. Really was hoping for an answer today though...