1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Well outta context that doesn't read great.... but you put yourself out there for feedback, would u prefer some pussy response tip toeing around the wording or you want some real talk, no bullshit, straight from the hip? My apologies if my words offended, I just don't bullshit or sugar coat, I'm just honest, any other approach does nobody any favors.

1 person likes this.
  2. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I was wondering if anyone would recognize it. I figure someone really into spiders might want it. ;)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. double00

double00 Senior member

MIJ, in the original factory apparently. i don't think they're doing those frames that you copped but interesting anyways.

4. ark8712

ark8712 Active Member

Gentlemen, can anybody drop a little knowledge. I thrifted a Gieves United Limited London bespoke (?) tuxedo over the weekend. Is this a thing? I am familiar with Gieves and Hawkes but am not finding anything on GUL.

I can post some pictures later this evening if anybody is interested.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

5. freehand

freehand Senior member

I thrifted that same tie (not NWT though) and found that not to be the case. Now in my closet waiting for some weird formal arachnophilia event that I may be invited to.

5 people like this.
  6. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

This guy would,
    (Really hope someone gets the reference here)
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. double00

double00 Senior member

why don't you go fuck yourself Tommy?

actually i've passed on that very tie, NWT.

8. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Not being able to sell a VV tie would be a first. Challenge accepted!

10. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

I get more for VV custom collection than almost every other tie

11. freehand

freehand Senior member

Ha, no challenge, I'm sure it's easier in the US than here where they really aren't very well known.

12. dukedishin

dukedishin Senior member

yeah was just going to say, he's in the UK. they sell like crazy here.

13. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Well I wouldn't mind a fresh new pair of Peoples...real Peoples...I'm hitting up the boutique when they release...I use to go there so much. I always had at least 3 in the rotation and when I was like 23 I had the brilliant idea that I was gonna even have the Maceos custom made with clear lenses so I could wear Peoples at night too. Take one pair of custom made Peoples fresh from the store, add in a night of bottle service at the club and a black out, and the result is the fastest pair of lost glasses ever. Money not well spent.

14. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

The whole Luxottica monopoly pisses me off to an unreasonable degree. I'll proudly sport a Seiko rather than shamefully wear a fake Rolex, and I'm happy wearing $95 Warby Parker frames over the ripoff badge-engineered Made in Italy stuff. (Maybe I can eventually thrift some nicer stuff, but given my track record, I'm not dropping 5+ bills on frames.)

2 people like this.
  15. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Senior member

Nah fuck that. Ray Ban, Persol are built amazingly but fashion frames are a complete waste of time and money to buy. In my personal experience of course.

I have a pair of Tod's shield sunglasses that I picked up in TK Maxx for £16 but with a retail of £280 I'd never pay. The frames are shit, and the lenses are plastic.

I'm wearing my £99 Seiko 5 auto and have been everyday for a year. It's fantastic, so I'm with you on that my man.

16. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

I think it's pretty much split into a dual monopoly with luxxottica and saffilo, and then nobody else, but yea man, it's fucking terrible. I have zero reservations spending a decent chunk of change on my frames just cuz I get so much use out of them and disregarding my previous post, besides that one incident, I never lose any of my shit, so I'm never worried about that factor either. But there isn't a shot in fucking hell I'd drop 100 bucks on a pair of $550 Tom Fords made by them and be caught wearing them. I keep a pair of Peoples because I always have and probably always will, but I will never buy any of their other products, its a fucking racket, a giant fucking rip off, cheap shit for hundreds.....and yea, I'll wear a fucking calculator watch before you see me in a fake anything. I would never rock fake, buy fakes, own fakes, sell fake etc... that's why I was so quick to unload that Chanel and even though I could get like 150 on etsy for it, am giving it up for nothing...goes against everything I stand for.

1 person likes this.
  17. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Dude I had a pair of Ray Ban Wayfarer Large 55MM editions and they have glass lenses, every time those fucking things came out from hanging on my shirt and hit the ground they fucking shattered. I have zero qualms with plastic lenses, I had to buy 3 sets of custom fitted lenses for those goddamn things, 80 a pop..... and Persols and Ray Bans may be built well, but the point is is that these glasses are no longer hand crafted. They are machine made with cheap materials and zero true craftsmanship. They are build to last with shitty cheap materials, however the point is that they are simply not worth what the vintage ones are do to the complete lack of actualy labor that goes into making them. Thus the market for Vintage models, the quality is better. So people spend 3x as much on the same exact Wayfarer frame released today, because they know they aren't wearing mass produced shit.

18. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This thing is fucking outstanding. Paid up a little bit but it's amazing. NA

26 people like this.
  19. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Huge fan of person, have a pair of Persol Steve mcqueens, my go tos are a pair of tortoise ray ban wayfarer then the Persol then I use the Oliver People's third (only because I'm afraid of fucking them up)