1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. rhyme

rhyme Senior member

Thats awfully nice of you dude. I lost my new phone at the thrift store last month so i know the feeling.

Hopefully you got some good karma coming your way. Props!

2. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

That's probably for the best... The cashier would probably think that you had a snotty attitude.

7 people like this.
  3. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

If your paying tuition I'll gladly teach the course. Jompso 101: how to buy what the fuck you want and not pay close to what it's worth (No Firearms necessary). PM me and I can give u a small crash course in how to find fuck ups, manipulate sellers, programs that do the work for you, or mistakes to look out for. Just don't go and use these tricks and then post ur cops here like you thrifted em....I know a guy who did that one time like an idiot cuz he was mad about dumb shit, and let's just say he never made that mistake again.

6 people like this.
  4. Mr G from SD

Mr G from SD Senior member

Not sure they would even do discounts there. They'll just keep slapping yellow clearance stickers on it until someone eventually buys it.

Once, TJ Maxx had a Gucci tie that had a couple pulls on it. I brought it up to the register and asked if they would consider repricing it. The manager said, "HELL NO. That's Gucci!" to the employee that asked for me. Wasn't the answer I was looking for, but got a kick out of that regardless. Pretty funny the way that she said it.

2 people like this.
  5. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Senior member

Brand new Kilgour E-thrift came in! Thanks to @thebuddahman for getting it to me. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is this Grenadine?

5 people like this.
  6. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Looks like it.

--

Solid finds since I last checked in. This thread never wants for a source of amazed, mouth agape head shakes.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

I'm goin with no on this one. The colors a little light to truly make out the weave but it looks like basket woven silk, not Grenadine woven silk. Doesn't resemble either type or grenadine weave.

1 person likes this.
  8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Perfect example of the tag stitching.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  9. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

Like how much too small?

10. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

Nailed it Doc!

[​IMG]

11. Purplelabel

Boss as shit Jaeger cotton suit. 3 Buttons and unvented though. Couldn't pass up for a tenner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Run of the mill PRL chinos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Senior member

Yup Silk! Nice find. Feels amazing don't it

13. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Size 7.5. Listed and sold to a Japanese guy within 15 minutes. I knew they'd probably go to Japan, but didn't know they'd go that quick.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8 people like this.
  14. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

My super small Alden shell went to Japan, sold a pair of Florsheim shell yum as size 7.5 to a guy in Japan also, love them over there they always pay very quickly and leave positive feedback

2 people like this.
  15. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

...My size. I live here. Damn you Japanese.

1 person likes this.
  16. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

Just a couple of fun finds: (only available on the Bay)

Lilly Pulitzer
    [​IMG]

Lilly Pulitzer
    [​IMG]

And this guy... Unvented, but couldn't leave it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13 people like this.
  17. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

With Japanese suiting you throw all other preconcieved notions and beliefs in the wind. Its a combination between Avant Garde SWD influence combined with the Heavy American Fashion trends penetrating and influencing the various subcultures of their societies. Since the 60s they essentially mimicked every American trend at the same time we adopted it however always had a Japanese twist, but when the Avant Garde Movement Started in the late 80s with Rei Kawakubo and Junya etc.. these new approaches to fashion started influencing the heavily engrained classic American fashion they have been acustomed to conforming to in their own way for decades. Japanese Avant Garde fashion at the time dealt with geometric disproportions or Issey Miyake putting dozens of pleats into every couture garment he produced, and essentially what was born was a high fashion Japanese suiting style that's only true identity is that it totally lacked/s any true identifiable one. Essentially Japanese tailoring is the antonym of Oxxford Clothes.

2 people like this.
  18. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Not in regards to quality of construction but you take the truly classic American style suiting Oxxford has produced for 1916 and then you take Yohji who may have a seasonal release or 15 different Avant Garde approaches to American Prep culture of the 60s or whatever for example, their only rules is there are no rules, which is why Japanese fashion is also so goddamn awesome. The respect and heavy influence of 50s Americana will always be present there, however everything else is whatever the fuck they wanna do. They have no fear, no restrictions, and no rules, it's Anarchy....essentially art in the purest sense, totally and completely uninhibited by social restrictions or rules of any kind, pure expressionism through fabric and design.

1 person likes this.
  19. Yorker

Yorker Senior member

GADDAMN that yohji

20. Purplelabel

Is this better?

[​IMG]