1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. eazye

eazye Senior member

No no no, you've got it backwards. They hate us because we idolize money. By idolizing pieces of finely crafted fabric instead, we are actually fighting terrorism. :nodding:

3 people like this.
  2. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

There's a ton of fake LV ties out there but thats no surprise, however there is a surprising amount of fake Zegnas produced. I see them all the time and apparently some can be made quite well cuz I've even messaged sellers telling them their shits fake and them responding with the fact that they'd personally been wearing it for a year and loved it and had no clue. Just know if the keeper ever says the words Ermenegildo Zegna it either needs to be sewn into the self keeper, making it a coute line tie, is the oldest model you'll come across which has the black thn black fabric keeper with bronze lettering, or will be engraved into a piece of metal either silver or gold in color. If its not one of those, it should just be an unlabled self keeper and the lgo should be on the backside of the large blade. Vuitton fakes are easiest to spot cuz they always put the manufacturers tag on the back of the big blade for some stupid reason.

I think you got it backward. I think we'd be letting ISIS win if we allow them to take our ties away.

1 person likes this.
  3. carreragt7

carreragt7 Senior member

Nah, ISIS is winning because they've got Archer.

3 people like this.
  4. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

Na don't twist it man, I just love this particular piece of clothing.

..."Priorities gentleman" as we're sitting here in a thread, online, talking about buying/selling used clothing...

I just love ties my dude!

And for some of us, me, it's about the only piece that fit's 'off the rack' so that brings me joy as well.

2 people like this.
  5. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

I have 80-90 ties. I've worn one in 2016. My next wear will be at a wedding in a few weeks, so two occasions to wear a tie in a little over three months. And I sold/consigned 40+ ties from my collection in January.

Been pretty damn busy lately so only got to one store yesterday.

Peter-Blair x 4, Holliday & Brown
    [​IMG]

Agave "Rocker" pants x 2
    [​IMG]

Last but not least, this. Clearly not thrifted but a family piece. From my mother's great-great aunt who had a daughter that never married. My mom thinks this sat in a drawer for 50+ years. Thankfully, my folks are kind and generous (read: the ring isn't my mother's style) so they gave it to me. I just got it back from the jeweler who had to replace part of the shank in order to get it sized correctly. The few jewelers I took it took estimate the center stone is from the 1880s and the mounting is from the 1920s. So, I need to start planning a proposal - probably something low key and intimate. Clearly, my apologies about the shitty pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    11 people like this.
  6. Mr G from SD

Mr G from SD Senior member

Pop on Ledbury. Nice shirts. 15.5, still new, I believe (super crisp). Anyone want it? Trade me a tie or somethin'

[​IMG]

E-Thrift I am happy about.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16 people like this.
  7. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Oh shit the H&B for Barneys collection was all English made...PM incoming.... ISIS can suck it.

1 person likes this.
  8. double00

double00 Senior member

nice ring!

awhile ago i was looking at some old tiffany sketches and was surprised to see the original 6-prong solitaire setting meant for a cushion cut.

imo those old mine cuts are great, a very different rendering. brings out the weight and power of a diamond.

9. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

They get very little play, but I love Southern Proper's printed ties, they're like a less-gaudy, less nautical Vineyard vines. Made in America and neck and bow both tie wonderfully. The neckties take a great dimple while the bows make a nice rumpled poof. The floral prints (magnolias, azaleas, roses, ect.) and the W.M. Lamb & Sons prints are particularly beautiful.

3 people like this.
  10. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Dude those Pulitzer ties are insane

3 people like this.
  11. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Real Talk. If this was a thread about our non-intervention, ISIS' growth in numbers and reasons as to why, the fact that their Jihad is simply against their own people that just aren't as devout, or are living in sin in accordance to their intrepertation of the Koran, or possibly discussing US Foreign policy and aid strategies so Russia isnt goin at it alone etc... and then we hijacked this bitch to talk about $300+ pieces of silk, that would be one thing....

But naw, we come here for the very specific reason to discuss, share, and show, all the fucking awesome clothing and shit we were able to purchase that day, whether for ourselves or to sell. A discussion about the admiration of beautiful pieces of silk would have no better home. Maybe if we just told ISIS that Bergdorfs is an authorized retailer of Cappelli and they don't have to pay the absurd costs to order direct from the factory, they may chill out a little.

1 person likes this.
  12. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

Thank you

13. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

All these tie posts... I can't remember the last time I found a nice tie (Kiton, Borrelli, Capelli, etc.)

Did find another great piece of art yesterday. :slayer:

2 people like this.
  14. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

They hate us cuz they anus.

4 people like this.
  15. GetBlatzed

GetBlatzed Senior member

Am I alone in really liking Lawrence Ivey ties?

16. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

I've been thrifting LA for over a year and a half, I've had hauls very similar and probably at least 3 or 4 even better 1 stops then my most recent share of the 13 Belvests 1 stop.....I've never seen a Kiton Tie, an Isaia tie, Marinella, 1 Borrelli 7 fold....actually I can probably count on my hands the amount of 7 folds I've found over that time period. People just don't rock or donate ties here and they're my favorite thing the thrift, it sucks. Just dry as fuck, every thrift.

1 person likes this.
  17. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I've always considered naming a dog Isis based on my love of Egyptian mythology. I briefly reconsidered that at one point until I realized I wouldn't let the battleground extend to my as yet non-existent fucking dog.

3 people like this.
  18. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Imagine kids named Isis... yeesh.

19. dad2bandm

dad2bandm Senior member

There was something in the Canadian news awhile back, where some company would not offer a kid, their custom "forget what the heck it was" food item, that was supposed to have their name printed on it, because the kid had the name Isis. It was ridiculous.

20. Jackstraw001

Jackstraw001 Well-Known Member

A couple nice finds today. Five years of thrifting never finding Aldens and then find 2 pairs in a week. Need some help as I can't tell the difference between shell and calf. Any thoughts? Tie is n/a but Alden's are available. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9 people like this.