Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

Nice read Fueco.

2. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

Actually there a few. But not many.

@silverwarebandit those Mercury head dimes can be worth something. Some can be worth LOTS of money. Based only the pics, it looks most all the coins have condition issues. But, Mercury head dimes can be worth a few dollars each. The 64 Kennedy half dollars are the most desirable because they are 90% silver. Some of the 64s are worth big money. I have a book at home that has values. I can check. If you can find the mint, that helps with values. Most will not have a mint Mark. But, if they are D for Denver or S for San Francisco that makes them more rare and thus more valuable.

If the penny is a 1943, bring it to a professional coin dealer IMMEDIATELY. They can be worth a TON if they are the right ones.

3. double00

double00 Senior member

@Fueco maybe x-post to the ebay thread? good info!

4. Nobleprofessor

I forgot to mention this. DO NOT, under any circumstances, clean or polish these coins. Collectors don't want something that has been polished. It can destroy the value. Some collectors even have a name for it. They call it TONING. It looks like most of the mercury head dimes are approximately the same value (a few dollars each, maybe $3-7 depending on the year). But, you should look for 1921 and 1921 D and 1926 and 1925. If you have a 1916 D, then get ready to crap yourself. Its $2K!

Also, you will need to do some research on the 64 Kennedys. Some of them have a slightly different hair style and those are worth about $900-1000.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015

5. Mannix

Mannix Senior member

Error coins can command a premium, depending. I used to buy and sell, and many I found were in pocket change. There are a few books out there and the CONECA online forum is an amazing resource.

6. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Kennedy's rookie coin is of course worth big money, as well.

7. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Since we're on about coins, I'm quoting myself from about a month ago...

8. Nobleprofessor

Of course! There is a whole wing/arm/division of classic menswear that believes all shirts should be button down collars. The folks that loved OCBD also almost reverently appreciate the collar roll that occurs with a button down collar and its really shown when the wearer also has a tie.

I can appreciate both. Sometimes I like a BD Collar with a tie. But, most of the time I just do point collar. Even those that are unapologetically enamored with the Button down collar will acknowledge that it is a less formal look than a point collar.

9. Mannix

Mannix Senior member

The Indian Head pennies are all common dates and worth very little (~$8 for all, as they're "good" condition). The 1937 Wheat Penny is worth 10 cents. The Buffalo nickels are all common dates on the outset and in "good" condition. Not too sure on the value--maybe a buck or two a piece. There are known errors in really every denomination and coin type, so it could be worth your while to research each one...especially since you don't have many.

10. Nobleprofessor

You paid LESS than face value? You definitely did well. ALL of those are worth more than face value. The buffalo nickles (depending on the year) are going to be worth between $1 and $3. There are some exceptions and a few are worth BIG MONEY.

The Indian head pennies are worth around $1 unless they are before 1879 and then they are worth more. There are, of course, some specific years and mints that are rare and valuable.

11. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

@fueco here's why I was interested
    [​IMG]

12. AlexJ1100

AlexJ1100 Senior member

Took the day off to do some rock climbing and squash practice and hadn't planned on stopping anywhere. Decided to run by a consignment store I haven't been to in a little bit. Glad I did

Etro

Pretty sure this first pair (if not both) are new. Still had the pouch with the spare buttons in the back pocket.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pop!!
    Brioni - both tagged 42R
    Ticket pocket and functioning cuffs on both.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bunch of badassery I passed on for the time, may decide to pick some up after more research. Can proxy for anyone interested, was all tagged either a 42 or 44. Prices are obviously higher (consignment not thrift) but even then if you wanted it for yourself prices are pretty fair, and still some meat if you wanted to flip. Pics suck

Older Isaia

[​IMG]

Orange and Black Etro Cashmere
    [​IMG]

Older Isaia

[​IMG]

Slightly Older EZ

[​IMG]

Etro, Etro Cord, Etro Puple Plaid Cashmere, EZ, Giorgio Armani, Bizzare Green Suede Etro

[​IMG]

Etro Shirts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best of all was that the owner of the store struck up a conversation with me when I was leaving. Apparently the the guy who dropped all this stuff off was there not long before I got there and he mentioned bringing another large load in just before the Kentucky Derby [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015

13. HansderHund

Thanks for the details, guys! I literally added them up in my head to be sure I didn't pay more than that and he came at me with €3. I figured I couldn't really lose.

A couple of weeks ago, different place and with different people, I see a guy (some sort of coin collector) with binders of coins on a table. At the end of the table he had a bowl of coins form around the world. I picked out the three $1 coins (2x Sacajawea, 1x James Madison) and he said "60 cents." I paid and walked away. They're currently sitting in front of me on my desk. I thought to myself that I could make a brilliant living doing this.

14. Nobleprofessor

This guy is a coin dealer and he sold you three dollars (at face value) worth of coins for 60 cents? WOW! Go there everyday and save them all up for a while and take them to an international airport and exchange them!

15. HansderHund

This isn't really a thrift fit, though I suppose it's somewhat discounted. I took them to show the collar in the Luxire thread:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shirt: Luxire on sale
    Jacket: Boglioli on sale
    Tie: Drake's from @SpooPoker
    PS: Drake's from their outlet