The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. AlexJ1100

AlexJ1100 Senior member

Read above post/links.

Its not overly expensive new (some items can get pricey) but when a major marketing campaign/mission statement behind your company resolves around repairing and reusing your items, people search it out. Especially US made items and ones with bright/vibrant color schemes/patterns.

2. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Hype? Hype doesn't last for 40+ years. The stuff is built to last. Period. Among the outdoorsy crowd, that's what matters most. There are certain styles that are more popular than others.

3. white collar

white collar Senior member

Last time I checked L.L. Bean does the same thing (fixing stuff for life) and I have yet to sell an L.L. Bean item for any profit. Is Patagonia more trendy or something?

4. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Patagonia is better. You're comparing two companies like others here might compare Kiton to Jos A Bank.

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

6. dukedishin

dukedishin Senior member

[​IMG]

7. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

I certainly agree that Paragonia is better, but that comparison is pretty extreme. There is absolutely some hype involved with patagonia sales. When's the last time you've been to a college campus in the fall?

8. vexco

vexco Senior member

Also picked this up yesterday. Not even sure how to describe it really. Available if you really want it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Arc'teryx reigns supreme on the CU-Boulder campus. That's the overhyped company in the outdoors world. The problem is, their shit falls apart. I have Patagonia items that are 20+ years old and are still functional. The problem with saying that Patagonia is trendy on college campuses is that it has been popular on college campus since at least when I was in school the first time around in the mid 1990s). A certain subset of America has been wearing Patagonia longer than most people on this forum have been alive.

So yeah, maybe comparing Kiton to Jos A Bank is a bit extreme, but Patagonia has been the established leader in the outdoors market for decades, and it has nothing to do with style as folks here understand the term.

As for the other comment about LL Bean. Who here doesn't know about the hype of the duck boots? LL Bean clothing is generally well made, but the fits (much like REI and EMS stuff) tend to be on the boxier side. Patagonia and Arc'teryx generally have slimmer fits available (I'm wearing a slim fit Patagonia R3 at the moment).

10. white collar

white collar Senior member

I'm not saying one is better than the other, I just prefer L.L. Bean. Every item isn't slim fit, but both companies do certain things well. Yes that comparison is extreme, but to each their own. Back to the thrifts .....

11. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

I forgot about two things I got on my trip to North Carolina. Oddly, I got these at a Flea Market set up next to the Car Auction and NOT the Brooks Brothers Clearance Center.

Brooks Brothers Bucks in Red! (size 12)

[​IMG]

AND just to Complete the festive Christmas color Scheme, how about a green pair (8D)

[​IMG]

12. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

That's interesting. I guess I can only compare midwestern colleges. I hardly ever see Arc'teryx ever around here (except on my own body). In my four years of school from 2010-2014 (I'm a youngin) I seemed to see Patagonia take over North Face as the "in" outerwear brand. Was sort of excited to see what was trending now when I was back for my brothers graduation last week, but we were having record highs in Ohio at the time.

13. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

True, things certainly might be different in the midwest. I've only lived in the Bay Area and in Boulder. Both are definitely outdoors gear strongholds. "Trendy" people wore North Face in the Bay Area, but it wasn't as trendy as it was in other areas. As an active outdoors person into things like hiking, skiing and rock climbing; I'm also probably just more in tune with what my people are wearing. [​IMG]

As a side note, in my profile picture I am wearing a pair of North Face shorts (thrifted, of course!).

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015

14. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

Miami University went like this

Frats - Patagonia
    Sororities - Northface
    Independents, like myself - Columbia

15. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

More recent finds...

Orvis fly fishing shirt

[​IMG]