1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. ATLjon

ATLjon Distinguished Member

Record guys: Should I be hawking my wares on Discogs instead of ebay?

2. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior Member

Someone was talking earlier in the thread about how Etsy is slower sales but a lot less punishment than eBay, I'd echo this sentiment for selling on Discogs. That said, the secret is out re: Discogs and there has been a noticeable uptick in dickheads the last couple years. Also there is a relatively high number of non-paying buyers, especially for international orders, about 10% in my experience. That said, I sell mostly punk and metal so maybe that attracts a higher percentage of flakes.

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Distinguished Member

4. thebuddahman

thebuddahman Senior Member

My latest finds...(why does everything I find not fit me?!)

Gieves and Hawkes navy wool pinstripe blazer. Looks modern and don't even think it's been worn by the looks of it. Side vents, working cuff buttons. Would've been a pop but it's a 40 so it's reluctantly AVAILABLE. First Savile Row though. Long may it continue!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Picked up a sweet white/blue/pink stripe Hackett shirt. Made in UK. Looks new. 16" collar. Double cuffs. Available.
    [​IMG]

Also took a chance on these Adidas x Yohji Yamamoto high tops. UK 9. SW+D guys - is this a good pick up? I'm a CM guy so they won't be adorning my feet. Ebay says money but then I saw one of the DEATH METAL studs on the back is missing. No biggie. Available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also picked up a new coat for my daughter. Had fur on the hood and plaid lining, detachable booties and fold over cuffs. Fuck yeahhhh.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015

5. MZhammer

MZhammer Distinguished Member

Not to kill your enthusiasm but that G&H is RTW made for a department store, not the true Savile Row bespoke. Also it's an orphan suit jacket, not a blazer...

6. thebuddahman

Ahh shit. I was afraid of that. I convinced myself in the shop that it was a blazer. Trousers were nowhere to be seen. I already knew it wasn't top line G&H but still pleased to pick it up. I'll still make a bit of money on it I'm sure. Thanks for your advice :)

7. MZhammer

MZhammer Distinguished Member

Yea no worries, it happens. I did the same thing when starting our with an RLPL orphan and it ended up selling for one of the best things I've ever sold!

General rule of thumb is that pinstripes are almost never anything but suiting fabric (some SWD and modern lines have adopted them but true MC is 99% always suit).

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Im confident in saying those are real.

Looks just like regular shearling to me.

9. Jompso

Jompso Distinguished Member

It won't be as easy as you think. General rule of thumb, never pick up pinstriped orphans unless it's something like Kiton. Gieves & Hawkes may be well known to us here but in general, is not an overall household name brand. Moving it won't be that easy, an orphan and pinstriped is definitely not gonna be.

10. thebuddahman

Thanks Spoo. Do you think it's worth me picking it up for a fiver and doing my best with the old suede cleaner?

11. capnwes

capnwes Distinguished Member

The light coming off the fibers makes it look like split cowhide and acrylic to me.

12. My Main Man

My Main Man Distinguished Member

Spoo and Son making another appearance.

[​IMG]

Had to run home on my lunch break and did a really quick run-through at Savers. Gonna try and hit them up on my way home to see if VV guy dropped any more shiz off.

[​IMG]

13. HansderHund

HansderHund Distinguished Member

Every time I see a fur or shearling hat, I assume it's either made in Sweden or Finland before I pick it up. Most of the vintage stuff that I find (fur/shearling, that is) was made in one of those two countries.

14. Sleeves345

Sleeves345 Senior Member

Picks from a recent estate sale. Based on the rest of the things in the house the gentleman was military, lived in Russia and Germany at least, and liked airplanes. There were at least a hundred of these posters, mostly from airshows. I didn't have time to go through them all, I really would have loved to... Grabbed the first three that had eyecatching artwork. Really bummed I didn't get more. I doubt these are valuable, but I really like the style and the Hirshhorn is local to me. Now I need to find the wall space...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. thebuddahman