The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. JFST

JFST Senior member

My recent pick ups:
    Bronze Sculpture "Sample" (basically a huge button, man cave material ) http://www.manuelferreiro.com/index.php?r=site/comprar
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    PS 34R Jeans Available
    [​IMG]
    James Perse Sz2 N/A
    [​IMG]
    Eton (new label?) Black Shirt 18/46 A
    [​IMG]
    Z Zegna Cotton Herringbone Jacket
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    @bpk1
    @Thrift Vader
    I would do the metal test in the greek coins, sure, but I'm inclined to think they're not fake, the usage/damage showed could very be because they're almost 2000 years or older. A connoisseur should be able to tell you.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015

2. eazye

eazye Senior member

I suck at Union tags. Anybody know when they stopped using this one? 40's?
    [​IMG]

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I've said this before and been wrong, but I think i hit a military "thing".

@Nataku, please tell me I'm right?

I found this online but have no idea what it means. Im assuming made from 1960-1964?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

edit - just checked completed listings. :facepalm: i fucking give up on war stuff.

4. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Agreed, potentially a true thrift Grail. [​IMG]

5. klay49

klay49 Senior member

[​IMG]

WTF! Can't find the matching shoe for either

6. bpk1

bpk1 Senior member

I was thinking the same, not sure why they'd make a copy/fake and wear it out that significantly. Definitely going to have to get them checked out (need to find someone local to look them over), will update when I have more info!

Still need to get more info on that stash of fly rods I found a couple months back... eventually I'll get around to those too. Lol.

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Sorry man. That's "Duck hunter" camo. Also known as "Beo Gam". Was widely used for hunting (obviously) but was also used by the ARVN in Vietnam. The solider had their folks back home buy them the camo stuff aimed for the civilian market from sporting goods stores, etc because at the time it was better than the plain OD green uniforms the military was supplying them with. They hadn't yet developed the ERDL camo pattern which came about in 1967-68. Even that stuff wasn't as widely circulated as the plain OD green jungle uniforms.

You're on the right track. The duck-hunter/beogam pattern was based off of the WWII reversible HBT camo (Herringbone Twill). This stuff is insanely rare and very valuable. I was fortunate enough to find a piece once (a full coverall suit). I was unfortunate enough to have that said piece stolen from my cart before I got to the checkout line. :fu: :fu: :fu:

Helpful hint. The good stuff is reversible (brown camo on one side and green on the other to adapt to whatever your surroundings were). It will also be made from herringbone twill fabric (easy tip for us menswear guys to remember).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. thebuddahman

thebuddahman Senior member

Really enjoying the start I've had to my thrifting. Is it normal to think about it nearly all the time?! Haha. I wanna get back out there!

Having read about 300 pages now the strong sense of community and support here really comes across. Hopefully you can accept me 'into the fold' so to speak, even though my thrifting game is naturally a long way behind some of you guys.

Couple of questions:
    1. When you guys say things are 'available', do you sort of keep them off ebay or so you mean that of someone were interested you would send them the link to it or unlist it?
    2. Are there any unwritten rules about swapping/trades with others? I'd be really keen to trade things I've found with others, in order to get things for personal use. Is it just a case of putting shitloads of pictures up and someone taking a liking, then go from there?
    3. Are there many UK thrifters here like myself? Would be great to make some local-ish buddies.

Thanks.

9. eazye

eazye Senior member

Ok, I lied, a polo cost is technically double breasted and belted with peak lapels. This one is single breasted and un-belted with notch lapels. I guess I got a little too excited. Cuffed and has those cool post box pockets though and big fat bellied lapels.

10. JFST

JFST Senior member

1. Available means that anyone can jump on it, in fact unless you put N/A anyone can inquire about the item here or via pm.
    2. Pictures are part of the knowledge here, think about a brand very valuable or desirable: the best way to remember is via photo of the label or logo.
    3. I believe @freehand is brittish, maybe I'm wrong, lots of people from around the world.
    If you have something you want or want to make available there's a thread called http://www.styleforum.net/t/287214/...-sell-trade-want-thread/3200_100#post_8215126. Make your goods available here and there as well, some deals can be made in the buy&sell forum, they allow wanted and trade ads there.

11. Steve Kane

Steve Kane Senior member

Can any one help me identify the maker on these Oxxford Captoes? I'm thinking C&J based on the last number/heel pattern but I saw a Grenson heel on the labels thread that made me second guess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. thebuddahman

thebuddahman Senior member

Thanks for replying. I didn't know about that thread so thanks again. I'm definitely keen to trade with people from here rather than go to ebay. It's always nice to know things will be worn and loved by someone. Ebay can be a cold mistress.

13. Doomsticks

Doomsticks Senior member

14. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

One more tip if you're going to get into the eBay talk/issues/etc. That also has a separate thread that a lot of people forget about. http://www.styleforum.net/t/309281/...cks-problems-questions/25000_100#post_8216377

15. white collar

white collar Senior member

Not sure these are any good but the resale value looked good.
    [​IMG]

Two pairs of John Varvatos converse ... POP

[​IMG]

MY MOST BAD A$$ FIND OF THE YEAR

World War 2 Air force jacket, not the civilian model either, the real mccoy, things in near perfect condition too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thrift fit pic: fits pretty good, might have to keep it, p.s. 100% of this outfit is thrifted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]