1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

So the locals who aren't African engaging in this behavior must be stockpiling for summer outdoor fleas, I'll buy vexco's theory. Spoo, there are men in our By the Pound. Couples working together.

It's just no fun being there, it just sucks the joy out of thrifting. Good thing I myself have way too many shoes already, I don't need more. My wife calls me Imelda as it is -- for those old enough to get that reference. I bet I'm not the only here who gets that from a spouse/partner...

2. bpk1

bpk1 Senior member

Yeah, we'll see if I can get it cleaned up.

Thanks - Wish the PS fit!

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

i think I care more about the people in there than about the items. Its like a game of chess.

This dude over here? Flipping sports jerseys. Competition level - 1
    Tall guy, stoner looking? Flipping T Shirts. Competition level - 2 (makes quick scan for polo bear shirts)
    That lady? Homeless. Competition level - 0
    Gangly looking dude? Flipping pottery and furniture - competition level - 3 (scans for Goyard and LV trunks and briefcases)
    Squadron of shellac haired Mexican kids in jeans aisle? Looking for wide leg True Religions for party that night - competition level - 0
    Dude in polo hat, blazer and OCBD looking at shoes? Competition level 8 - go to Defcon 4, throw Smurfs blanket on top of haul in basket, do not pass go, go directly to overdrive and sportcoats/outerwear

once youve seen your enemy you can then commence fire

17 people like this.
  4. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

It's a shame when this happens with tailored trousers and you know you have no hope of reuniting the 3x PRL orphans you just found.

5. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

HAHAHA my wife just rolls her eyes when I bring in a new pair. I am at ~12 pair now, and she owns 10 or so.

6. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

there was a TV show here a few months ago that featured "sapeurs" (did i spell that right?) and it showed how they get their clothes. the clothes market looks crazy there.
    almost everything was thrifted. and the fits were interesting. rather enjoyed it.
    can only guess those people are sending home clothes for the extended families.

7. SpecialK2k12

SpecialK2k12 Senior member

Oh good, I'm not the only one.

Awesome stuff today dudes, went out with @1ofTheCoolKids , first store I hit, first thing I see on the rack is Brioni. Pics tomorrow, beer and X-Files now.

3 people like this.
  8. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

I went to a by the pound Goodwill once in Minnesota. Very weird experience, felt like I was in a room of zombies just indiscriminately grabbing everything that came out. Pretty depressing experience.

1 person likes this.
  9. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Yeah - check out the Gentlemen of Bacongo book.

EDIT: meant to buy the book when it came out and never got to it...now it's a collectible. BUT FEAR NOT - a new hardcover edition is expected around Jan 1st 2099. Yes, 2099. overstock.com is a joke; they charge more than retail and their name gives the illusion (and allusion) that they're liquidating over-stocked items. But you can buy a pre-order item expected to ship 80+ years from now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    2 people like this.
  10. double00

double00 Senior member

sucker. that brilliantined mexican is Predator and you're billy drawing an x on his chest with a knife on a fallen log.

i kid, i kid... but what if?

2 people like this.
  11. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Exactly. Well put, Machiavelli Macklemore

But nowadays it's more about entertainment for me than it was before -- and like you I'm teaching my daughter thrift-fu and she is getting pretty good and developing a very individual style. But also teaching her how to spot/avoid pervs and in the case of our By The Pound situation we're discussing, avoiding getting knocked down by maniacs (or getting hit in the face by flying Reeboks). Looking out for herself.

1 person likes this.
  12. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

PS if anyone finds Gripfast black and white spectators size 9 (US; UK8 I think) PM me. On my bucket list. They are pure rock and roll. In fact I know a guitarist in a punk band playing Hartford and New Haven clubs wearing those on stage...

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Me? Why me?
    Of course if I'm blocked you're not going to answer this.

Freak that's a great price.
    I already have some tho.
    :hide:

14. Chotii

Chotii Senior member

I've been out and about lately but haven't found much. The one thing I'm seriously jazzed about listing is something I found when I was out with 1ofthecoolkids a week ago, which is a heavy, long green wool military coat from Italy. It is double-breasted, has some sort of a pleat on the back between the shoulders, and has a row of goldtone buttons down the kick-pleat. I'll have to see if I can get my neighbor to model it for me, as it's too small for my husband, too big for me (snort of suppressed laughter) or any of my kids, and too big to show to advantage simply hanging up. And this is my excuse for not posting a picture.

Also, a shout out to Jompso: ties are selling nicely for me, and I imagine will continue to improve. I thank you for your tutelage.

1 person likes this.
  15. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

For what it's worth, I see a huge number of Africans at the flea markets here doing the same thing. They will be at the flea markets every weekend (as I am) and will buy shoes by the blue-IKEA-bag full. They tend to target individuals selling stuff rather than the sellers that do it every weekend. The funniest part is watching the interaction, because Austrians generally don't like to negotiate a lot and a lot of the Nigerians expect to heavily negotiate.

It goes like this:

Buyer: How much for the shoes?
    Seller: €8 each pair.
    Buyer: I will give you €5 for all twenty pairs.
    Seller: What?!?!?!

They'll eventually settle on a price, but that's how it begins.

2 people like this.
  16. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

For the record I haven't actually blocked anyone (this includes drlivingston and gmmcl as well as all you other dudes who quoted me yesterday Koala-T and vexco are the only two I can remember off the top of my head), and I only mentioned by name Spoo and barrel by name because the morning exchanges are a great running joke, and woofa because he cracks me up because he spells always spells Spoo's name in all-caps.

To drlivingston's point above - what is annoying is that I was also away for a week, came back to hundreds of posts and discovered half of it was pissing and/or dick waving contests between two or three arguing with each other over whose second-hand piece of clothing is the coolest (FFS just post your thing in the cheapies thread and let the voters sort it out).

Purplelabel's post just happened to send me over the edge because he's just the latest in a long line of guys waltzing into the thread expecting bespoke thrift mentoring services. If you have to ask if a Brooks Brothers tie is a thing, you're just being lazy. Yes, we can all admit there's a bit of hyperbole in telling a noob to read all of both threads before posting, and yes we all ask from time to time "is this a thing," but there's a difference between asking for a gutcheck when something seems really high quality, but only has a fabric tag that's 100% in Japanese and asking if your NWT-yet-dated-AF-BB-tie is a thing.

There are loads of quality posters in this thread which is what keeps me coming back at a time when I barely have time to get out and thrift myself anymore. So once again to clarify, no one is blocked and apologies if I offended anyone by not mentioning you by name - please everyone keep posting good shit so I can live vicariously through/PM you occasionally to inquire about brodeetz.

10 people like this.
  17. Bon Vivant Life

Bon Vivant Life Well-Known Member

I never do 1/2 off day, too chaotic, but it is -5 outside, -40 wind chill, so I think it may thin the herd. Add in V-day, and it just might be worth it.

18. Bon Vivant Life

Bon Vivant Life Well-Known Member

Also, someone PM'd me to ask if that was me dancing in my avatar. Definitely not, I can only dream of being Geno. At every Celtics game, when the win is in the bag, they play on the scoreboard a clip from Soul Train (or other 70's dance show) that half way through has that clip of a guy wearing a t-shirt that says "Geno" on it doing his thing. Kevin Garnett used to lose his mind every time it came on, they only played it during time outs, he would walk away from team huddle, stare at scoreboard, then point and go apeshit when Geno came on. An authentic Geno t-shirt is one of my grails.

3 people like this.
  19. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I just wish there was an outlet store near here...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Garnett really likes Geno: http://deadspin.com/the-celtics-gave-kevin-garnett-one-last-dance-with-gino-1749318703

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016