1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

2. Chotii

Chotii Senior member

ITA about the ' best resource', although I swear, if I'm too busy to read for a week, catching up on even 17 pages can feel daunting. :/ Especially if one is never quite sure if several pages of that has devolved into interpersonal spat space. Now, asking people to catch up on something like >1200 pages? Yeep.

1 person likes this.
  3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

theres something to learn in all pages, even the soap opera intermissions.

it may just not always be about thrifting.

2 people like this.
  4. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Did not kop...and forgot to IM Spoo...but looked like those cheesy glass pictures you'd win at the carnival.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  6. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

I love the finds and brags. I come here for the finds and brags.

But how fucking boring would this place be without everything else. That's why this group is so cool. Wether it's Wes' grill or crazy stories and shit, that's what makes this a real community. Everyone has their niche and their viewpoints. Sometimes that leads to arguments. It's all part of the thunder dome.

9 people like this.
  7. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

That feeling you get when you are just getting over a two-week illness and finally catching up on over 500 unread posts, only to realize that you have been blocked. [​IMG]

8 people like this.
  8. SpooPoker

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

2 people like this.
  9. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Thrift fit (X-poast):

Loretta cashmere sweater (anybody know anything about this Italian brand?)
    Woolovers cotton cashmere vest
    BB Gatsby shirt (clearance)
    Luciano Barbera tie
    Banana cotton twills
    BB brown suede chukkas (not thrifted)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  10. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

So we have the first in the nation (so clerks tell me) combo goodwill retail/by the pound the next town over, it's been open a year now. Found some nice stuff now and then. Tonight in the bitter cold taking sweetie out to Valentine's dinner...wore the Gripfasts I got from the by the pound bins that were kinda harsh upon purchase but cleaned up well...

[​IMG]

Anyhow, the main reason I'm posting is to ask...WTF are the people of many ethnicities including my own doing when they battle over the new bins of stuff coming out? Especially with shoes. They just seemingly randomly throw one shoe at a time into carts until they overflow...no rhyme, reason or pairing.

What is their endgame?

I've met people, African and Eastern European and South American in Salvation Army stores or whatever picking jeans off racks by the 10s or even 100s sending back to their families and friends, which is kinda cool and they are typically friendly and not pushy. But this behavior in the By The Pound...when it first opened, me and my 10 year old daughter would go in, sift for an hour, and come out with one or two pairs of shoes each. It was pleasant. Saved lots of money vs getting her new shoes at Target or whatever and they were nicer/more stylish. Now it's this free for all and she gets jostled and ultimately we find nothing because these maniacs fill their carts with good/bad/ugly and we have completely lost our desire to set foot in there again.

I'm sure this might have come up in the thread before? I just wonder what these people are up to. Definitely not eBay pickers, their carts are full of crap and I'm sure they can't ultimately find pairs anyway of all the stuff they grab. Do y'all know?

12. vexco

vexco Senior member

Flea market flippers will buy shit ebay flippers won't touch.

13. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I've been to the bins in Portland and it was just so much shitty broken nasty stained soiled urinated upon stuff that I never went back. Kudos for finding anything at the by the pound place. That's the last stop, after it's been in the store 5+ weeks, before recycling.

14. SpooPoker

I see the same thing around here, though its almost always on half off day, and most always women (not men, really ever) of African descent with two shopping carts full of shoes and only shoes.

1 person likes this.
  15. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Yes! Although there are plenty of Swamp Yankees (I say that with love because I look that part too, some days) in ours too.

What are the doing with all those shoes? I also notice they pass on high end brands, I've found some OMFG brands left behind...and they never take what I know is $$$$$$ rollerblades, hockey skates and ski gear that the athletes come in and snap up for their swap meets/indoor fleas.

1 person likes this.
  16. SpooPoker

I can only guess there is some kind of payday for providing such items to a facility that forwards on or buys from individuals to another country.

17. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

Shipping it home
    2nd hand market

Much African clothing is resale of second hand

It killed their local industry
    Can't compete

Also
    You can't get the same quality
    Everything is black manniqun equivalent garbage
    if new no good
    So i2nd hand much better quality

2 people like this.
  18. bpk1

bpk1 Senior member

Couple cool things - all true thrift except PRL Flag sweater (e-thrift):

C&J
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SF Tramezza
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some more Dsquared2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EZ Chocolate Suede
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EZ, EZ Su Misura, Sulka
    [​IMG]

Corn, BR, NWT Fred Perry
    [​IMG]

HB, BBBF, Wild HF
    [​IMG]

R&B, Zegna, R&B
    [​IMG]

Bold Etro - my size, N/A
    [​IMG]

Dior... POP, Inco, Alexander McQueen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jil Sander, some gorgeous D&G, and some more Jil Sander
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pringle & CarraigDonn
    [​IMG]

Donegal scarves x 2
    [​IMG]

PRL Flag sweater (E-thrift - my size, NA)
    [​IMG]

Formal Saks braces - pretty old logo, and B.Altman Cummerbund
    [​IMG]

Hacket, R&B, VV x 2, Liberty x 2 (Made in Italy and England), Massimo Dutti x 2 (meh)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Burberry London, CT, Bonobos, GA, D&G, RL, Alexander McQueen, Jil Sander
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aquascutum Irish Tweed - Made in England
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Awesome reversible trench/herringbone tweed jacket from Paul Stuart - lesson learned to be re-rack items when they fall, and to be courteous to thrift store employees - lady at the checkout counter called over the manager when I got up to the register, and I immediately think they're going to say this isn't priced right it's supposed to be two times it, but they cut the price in half... :slayer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JV - Made in Italy, my size, completely unlined, definitely N/A
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SF x Lardini
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bonobos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

J.Crew Ludlow 3 pieces x 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20 people like this.
  19. SpooPoker

I thought the yellowing on the cuffs and collar was too much for this one :/

The PS coat is old as fuck and gorgeous!

1 person likes this.
  20. double00

double00 Senior member

it's funny, typically i don't really worry about what other people do or why. if it bothered me that much i might just try to strike up a conversation directly and ask em what it's all about. maybe even offer an idea of what I'm up to. hope that helps.