The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I think that's the size, no?

2. PantherPatrol

PantherPatrol Well-Known Member

"6" you mean? I think the size is 37 1/2 (which I would have taken as a Men's size, but whatever).

I think "MM6" is some kind of ready-to-wear collection from MMM. Not sure how it relates to the main brand.

https://www.theoutnet.com/en-US/Shop/Designers/MM6_Maison_Margiela

3. Takai

Takai Senior member

MM6 Is a women's lower diffusion line. Quality is shit ime.

4. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

5. mistermidwester

mistermidwester Senior member

Sorry to hear about your hound, @SomethingsFishy

It always sucks. Good dogs leave great memories.

6. DanM

DanM Senior member

Picked up a couple of sportcoats while in Louisville visiting my parents last week. All n/a.

Moleskin by Lands End. Ticket pocket and functional cuffs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oxxford. Killer pattern.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brooks Brothers. Awesome gun club check.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. evdv

evdv Member

Hello,

First time poster. I recently started reading this thread, and have found it to be very enjoyable. I have learned a lot but I have much, much more to learn. I have a question if you don't mind.
    A few days ago I picked up what I think is a very nice item. I would really appreciate if someone could tell me a bit more about this item.

What I think I have is a Burberrys of London wool coat. The label is missing from the coat but I did find a label inside of the inner pocket which says Burberrys London, I have found no other labels. I did a little Google research and found out that Burberry with an S means that this item is pre 1999. Other than this info I have not been able to find out much. This is a very heavy coat and it appears to me to be a very well constructed coat.

I apologise for the horrible lighting and pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The lining is a solid brown color
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    two buttons on the vent
    [​IMG]
    missing label chain has no markings
    [​IMG]
    Label found on inside pocket
    [​IMG]
    "snaps" holding the chain has what appears to be markings but I can not make them out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very nice looking coat and very long, 49" from collar hem.

Thank you in advance for any information you can give me on this item. I am looking for aprox, age and style mostly but any other information you happen to know is very welcome.

8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Today was a day of close calls on killer outdoors gear...

Aside from those two mentioned earlier, I also found a women's Camp 7 60/40 parka. If it had been a men's size, I would have bought it, but in the condition it was in, there wasn't enough upside in it (it was at a consignment shop). I also almost got a Patagonia Retro-X for myself, but the condition wasn't quite good enough for the price. I did pick up two others though...

9. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I am nit your guy for dating this, but from the looks of that tag, I'd think this coat could be from when Burberry was still making the majority of their clothing in England, which would likely mean it was made by one of the Savile Row houses. I've seen BUrberry SCs made by Chester Barry on this thread before. Looks like a pretty swell fine to me. Nice work!

10. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I laughed when I drew the names and saw that you two had one another. My Main Man...awesome gift, incredibly thoughtful!

@capnwes asked whether we should have a dedicated thread for posting pictures and I think that's a great idea. Here is the new thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/513256/4th-annual-thrift-thread-gift-exchange-unveiling/0_30

You're obviously free (and encouraged) to post your gifts here as well, this thread will get a lot more traffic. Last year, I had a special format in order to easily find the posts with gifts in them to make a large post at the end of December. It will be even easier if they're in one spot. Please don't forget to take at least one photo and offer a quick thank you to your gift exchange partner!

As my job is sucking the life out of my soul this month, feel free to copy/paste the link to the thread whenever someone asks where we can post our photos!

11. double00

double00 Senior member

i often wonder about vintage women's outdoor outerwear, i've seen some very very old REI, NF, etc but it seems like the market for this o.g. stuff is really for poser males. so i dunno, usually a pass but i always always brake for patagonia fleece and down outerwear. can't miss at true thrift!

12. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I'm sorry to hear about your dog, @SomethingsFishy. It's a difficult and painful thing to go through, but it sounds like you appreciate the longevity of your buddy.

13. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Mint condition stuff can do pretty well. My intro to reselling vintage clothing was a matching set of his and hers Trailwise Goretex mountain parkas in burnt orange. The men's one sold for almost double what the woman's one went for. It sold to a guy who was after the "Carl Sagan look".

14. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Two new decidedly non-traditional aloha shirts today. Pendleton x Reyn Spooner and Tori Richard. The Tori shirt was ridiculously cheap (thrift price at The Rack).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. double00

double00 Senior member

lol what i'm sayin

sorta sad to break up the set tho

[​IMG][​IMG]