The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Reminds me of letterpress printing. The sign of great letterpress is a kiss impression where there is no imprint into the paper at all, but anyone who gets letterpress nowadays wants a deep impression so you can TELL that you spent that skrilla on letterpress.

2. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Okay really dumb question... These tags on high end pocket squares are meant to be cut off, right? Some of the squares have 2 tags. A large one like this, and a smaller one that looks like it's supposed to stay on there. Plus the printed logo on the square itself.

[​IMG]

3. double00

double00 Senior member

Yep, and scarves. also can be done with tie brand tags too if they're not the keeper.

In fact, I used to also take the keepers off my ties, just for sprezz.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015

4. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

No they are not, that tag is a lot of the reason it's worth what it is. Cut that off and you have a piece of silk that has gone from valuable to completely worthless other than personal use. If you wish to retain value on your goods, don't remove tags. Never know when tastes may change and you may want to flip it cuz you never use it.
    Don't do this.

5. Takai

Takai Senior member

Handful of personal kops tonight after a local homie told me he ran into some suits and jackets possibly in my size. Unfortunately they were about 4" too large in the chest, but all the other measurements were spot on :( Left with some new Charleston Khaki black cords, a new All Saints shirt, couple things for open trades.

6. Beeare

Beeare Well-Known Member

Inc newbie risk taking post!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Worth 30 bucks?

7. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

Is it a Saga? If not, meh. Your results may vary.
    P.S. Keep it away from any other clothing. Those things shed horribly.

8. Beeare

Beeare Well-Known Member

Is there some kind of tag or marking? didn't see any other tags than the one label, but I might have missed something.

9. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

There's a printed Isaia logo on the square itself though. Too lazy to take another photo, but exactly like this: http://www.frieschskys.com/media/ca...7136e95/1/_/1.29_isaia_pocket_squares_015.jpg

10. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

It's something that's totally your call. Personally I don't touch the items I buy. I go the quality over quantity route, thus if I decide I can live without something or if an item is just sitting there and I haven't touched it in 10 months, I can flip it and make a decent amount of money back. If I cut size tags or content tags your fucking with the original state of the item, lessoning it's value. That's just me though, I keep money on the mind and take care of my shit. The resale on that used wouldn't crack 40, and if its also printed on the silk and you don't like the tag, then remove it it, no ones faking Isaia out there. It's your call.

11. jamesmkeart

jamesmkeart Senior member

Nice. Are you in mke a lot?

12. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

well that square you pointed out is a fake. I bought some of them and there fake. There not a printed logo that's a crappy attempt at embroidery of a coral. Your original picture is a good one. I'll show you a picture of there fake. Top is fake bottom two were purchased retail. Notice the tag differences. I don't cut mine off there not really a hassle.

[​IMG]

13. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Okay thanks. What I have is actually printed on the silk, not a fake (hopefully). I'll only cut if I find it necessary. Not hugely worried about resale but if its not necessary to cut the tag, no reason to do it.

Some of the squares literally have two brand tags though, one huge one and another smaller one.

But it doesn't make sense to me... It's like saying not to cut the wrist tag off a suit jacket because it might lessen the resale value.

14. double00

double00 Senior member

^^^

i was just gonna make the same point - would you keep the vents basted shut?

but i wholeheartedly agree with @Jompso on this, it's a personal thing. some folks clip that stuff, some don't. i personally end up chopping up/pimping/modding/hotrodding a lot of my shit just to personalize it, not so much tailored clothing but if a tag bothers me, well i'd rather enjoy my shit then worry about resale. but i totally get the other side.

15. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Not in any sense is it in anyway the same thing. That wrist tag is stating brand for sale purposes when hanging on racks in stores and to show it's a new suit. When you buy the suit you have it tailored and have such things like this taken off. What I'm saying is on par with buying a Zegna or Brioni suit and then cutting out the manufacturers tag and removing the interior label/patch. These are all things that kill value. Like I thrifted this ridiculous Chanel blazer that is entirely construct of purely silk and wool (no synthetics at all unlike most there stuff) and has all the bells and whistles someone in the market for it would want. However there's a tag on the interior of every Chanel, below the logo that states size, where it was made, and resource numbers that state year and season. I could have sold that thing for over 900 (not estimate, based off ebay and RealReal has it priced there as well) but that tag was cut, I'll be lucky if I get 6-700. That's called value depreciation. That is what I am talking about.
    Just to repeat, I'm not saying keep original stitching in or keep ockets sewn shut, I'm not reselling this stuff and marketing it as new, it's obviously been worn......and Not I. I take care of and I keep everything in tact and in original state. I spend a lot on what goes in my closet and I want to be able to get a lot for it if I decide I no longer like/want it. This is then usually spent directly towards a new item I do want. I wouldn't buy a piece of artwork and decide it was missing a smiley face in the corner and take a sharpie to it, I treat my clothes the same, they have high resale if taken care of and I enjoy making money, it's what I spend nearly all of my day focused on doing, just how I work.