The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Clark Howard updates the best phone plans on his site with some regularity.

2. ocooney

ocooney Senior member

I have a similar plan (3 lines, unlimited text and talk + 1 iPad) from Verizon but only 15g of data for $235

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015

3. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

Yes, I can get a new phone. Or I can keep the one I have (I Phone 5S) and go to another carrier. Or we can trade in these phones and probably get a free or discounted newer phone. But, its the rate I am paying that seems way too high!

@vexco my daughter could go through 2GB in no time. She is 15. We couldn't share 2 GB between the three of us.

4. vexco

vexco Senior member

I feel like it's hard to use that much data lol. I guess it's just cuz I always use wifi when I'm at home on my phone anyway.

Seems like the upped their limits to 5gb data+unlimited everything else for 39.88.

5. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

6. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

First, you didn't attribute but I'll acknowledge that as my Tumblr. And that I'm wearing a gray-looking separate up top. But what you're not seeing is that it's herringbone -- as in tweed. That's a big difference, both in texture and in pattern, since you said yours was solid. It's also mid-gray value. Another big difference, since you said yours was charcoal. I stand by my original advice. Anything solid gray charcoal (or darker, unless you're talking true formal wear, as in a Morning Coat or Dinner Jacket) -- whether originally made for that purpose or not -- is not a good choice for a separate as a sport coat. At least that's the traditional StyleForum wisdom and I've come to believe it's true. (Footnote: Anyone who knows me knows I'm not a slavish devotee to StyFo dogma. But here I think they're right. And I'll go on to say why; just stick with me.) And that goes whether it's "heathered" (which is probably to say, shetland or tweed fabric), flannel or worsted (which would be, no pun intended, the absolute worst of the bunch). It's just too formal a color. It soaks all the light into it. What color pants would you wear with it? Light gray? You'd look like you were aiming for and missing a Morning Suit. Colored? I think not. This is just my approach. Many take a different path, and that's OK -- Variety is the spice of life. But you asked advice, and that's mine. Sample it or pass at your pleasure.

7. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Thanks! Did you happen to see the coat in the link? My call is that it doesn't succumb to the worst of the issues that usually plague darker gray odd jackets. But I'll acknowledge that it's something on which people can disagree.

And I know it's your (great) tumblr. I was just having a bit of fun.

8. colorvision

colorvision Senior member

Schott perfecto, blue suede, UK5 EURO 38, no idea, might as well post in case they're of interest to anyone. Otherwise they'll be kid shoes in a year or so.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

@Fueco here's a couple more views of those climbing shoes. I wouldn't call the soles sticky. They're about the same as the La Sportiva I bought new earlier this year.

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. colorvision

colorvision Senior member

I pass that intersection regularly and I always notice the Bijan billboards, but I'm drawing a complete blank on Amir. Maybe dude needs to up his advertising game.

10. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

New one for me. I've never seen this Pendleton label.

[​IMG]

Did not kop.

[​IMG]

And damn, gas is getting thrifty...

[​IMG]

11. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Next time your headed west, look up about 2 blocks east of the 405 to your right. It looks just like a Bijan Billboard and its practically back to back with one. And I think that's his attempt, I mean between 230-630 that's probably the busiest intersection on the west side. I can't imagine what the Bijan company pays for not one but 2 at the same intersection. I mean they chose to go with 2 at one intersection and not post single other sign anywhere in the entire city

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

yeah, it's poly, but come on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deadstock 3 Piece
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love the lines on this basic Southwick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Nobleprofessor

Are you wanting something casual? Its pretty hard to beat a leather jacket. If you want something dressier, I love having a cashmere or wool Overcoat. Its pretty dressy, but its also long and warm. If you want sturdy warmth and don't mind the look of a Parka type jacket, LL Bean actually makes some really nice ones. As mentioned by someone earlier, Barbours are pretty nice and if you find a vintage Barbour and keep it sealed/waxed, they are indestructable.

14. Letric

Letric Senior member

Saint Andrews Navy Herringbone suit jacket... Looked everywhere for the pants. Cop for $20? Size 42R. Exc condish.

I'm not familiar with St. Andrews, but I know they're good.

15. Nobleprofessor

Anybody ever found a vintage Eddie Bauer Coat/Trench/Rain with Removable down Liner?

I found a very ordinary black rain coat and almost ignored it. But, then I saw the label said Down. It turns out it is an Eddie Bauer. The down liner is removable. I have learned from researching that Eddie Bauer patented the first Goose Down Jacket.

I'm trying to figure out how old thing is, but google has not been much help.