• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexJ1100

Reaction score
i keep coming back to you guys, even with questions outside of thrifting, and i hope that's ok (i trust your judgement)

i have a budget of ~$300-400 for a nice, versatile and warm coat. OTHER than a peacoat, what styles and, more specifically, brands can i look to?

the Sterlingwear and Schott peacoats were just way too boxy and i think i am sick of that aesthetic anyway.

my office isn't super dressy so really, even a parka could probably work.

thanks!
I'm a big Barbour fan. A classic beadle with their snap/zip in liner will stand up to about everything. I also like that is a pretty casual look, but I've also seen them worn with dress pants/suits and it works.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a big Barbour fan. A classic beadle with their snap/zip in liner will stand up to about everything. I also like that is a pretty casual look, but I've also seen them worn with dress pants/suits and it works.
Not going to work for a New England/New York winter

@thefastlife some of the recent Woolrich parkas are borderline affordable on that budget, particularly if you can find a sale

I would probably just recommend heading to Woodbury Commons and trying a bunch of stuff on, could probably find a nice wool at NMLC, RL, Zegna, etc.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i keep coming back to you guys, even with questions outside of thrifting, and i hope that's ok (i trust your judgement)

i have a budget of ~$300-400 for a nice, versatile and warm coat. OTHER than a peacoat, what styles and, more specifically, brands can i look to?

the Sterlingwear and Schott peacoats were just way too boxy and i think i am sick of that aesthetic anyway.

thanks!
Paul Stuart Outerwear for sure. Definitely resale is in that ball park and they make some of the nicest pieces for the money I've seen. Extremely high quality outerwear.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks!
Don't know what size you are and I know this is about 100 out of your range but this is the type of **** they put out, so nice.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

And they are quite nice no matter who makes them so we will see how they wear.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
How warm do you need the outerwear?

a Great coat from Wes will keep you warm.

Personally? prefer heavy/felted with Lapels. over puffy and quilted. makes moving in small spaces easier. a size up will fit an angora sweater underneath.
wink.gif

Last edited:

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made a quick stop this morning to blow off some steam. All available, per usual.

@Fueco Is this what I'm looking for?

Helmut Lang women's batwing sweatshirt. So ******* cool. Size M.

Incotex super 150's "super light" flat-fronts. Size 32 x 29.

Last edited:

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

And they are quite nice no matter who makes them so we will see how they wear.
I have a couple pairs myself. LB often gets over looked but they consistently put out quality product and have been doing it forever.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift related question:

Who has the best family cell plans?

All of us who do this no how important cell phones are and we probably all use a lot of data. I have been with AT&T for a long time and I'm grandfathered in on the unlimited data. But, for three phones (mine, my wife, my stepdaughter), we pay $255. It's crazy. She just broke her phone and we have insurance and can pay the $100 to get a new I phone for her (5C). But, my contract has been up for a couple months and I'm wondering if we should just switch.

Anybody pay a lot less? We need lots of data, texts, and minutes.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Thrift related question:

Who has the best family cell plans?

All of us who do this no how important cell phones are and we probably all use a lot of data. I have been with AT&T for a long time and I'm grandfathered in on the unlimited data. But, for three phones (mine, my wife, my stepdaughter), we pay $255. It's crazy. She just broke her phone and we have insurance and can pay the $100 to get a new I phone for her (5C). But, my contract has been up for a couple months and I'm wondering if we should just switch.

Anybody pay a lot less? We need lots of data, texts, and minutes.

if you fulfilled your contract, you should be able to get a free phone. and that, is a thrift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads