1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

I'm wearing a pair of Alden Shell Tassel Loafers right now. They are 11.5C if that helps you figure out the size. They measure 12 5/8" (on the bottom of the outsole from toe to back of heel) and 4.25" wide at the widest point.

Nice shoes too. Alden shell even with some slight interior wear is still a brag! If they measure the same as mine, hit me up! [​IMG]

2. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

This is fun, interesting, and what most of the rest of StyFo is all about. But I'm not sure this is the right place for this level of depth of discussion on this topic. I enjoy thrift fits, and the odd "I'd tweak this" or "This looks great" I think is totally appropriate. But what's happening here is we're straying into a more fundamental discussion about CM aesthetics, and it is often unresolvable. Each of PLs and Eazy's fits hit the mark on a different aesthetic. PL's jacket is definitely more fitted, but the hems make an even line, and the verticals are vertical. Leave the sleeves alone. The hem is below his ass and at the top of his inseam. All of the same is true of Eazy's fit. They just aim for a slightly different aesthetic. Neither is wrong, neither right. Some like one more than another. Personally, I'm not a fan of pants hems that hit above the shoe top. Others wear their pants that way exclusively. Fortunately, there's room in the sartorial world for variety. Even more fortunately, there are a bazillion threads here on StyFo where people yell at each other about these tiny, minute differences until they're blue in the face so we don't have to. Because this isn't one of them. Anyway, just my two cents.
    HOLY SHIT MORELIKETHIS

7 people like this.
  3. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

I dunno if you are quoting me with the fashion forward part, but if so, to be clear, I said fast fashion/trendy clothing, stuff places like Zara sell, much much different than fashion forward. And a size 38 chest means your a size 38 chest, jackets are cut differently, silhouettes differ, shapes, proportions, structure, etc.. from brand to brand, gotta buy what fits well and allows for some comfort although I do understand sometimes this comfort can be forfeited a little in efforts of achieving a certain look, I'm certainly vain enough to have made that choice a tremendous amount of times, nothing against that at all. If you like it rock that shit, is it classically styled? No. Is it your style? Yes? Than fuck it. I was saying that I agree w/ a fellow thread members original feelings and just pointing out how that in the classical frame, that would not be considered a well fitting garment.

Edit: Never mind, you were not quoting me with the fast fashion thing, my mistake.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    2 people like this.
  4. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

These are more like 12 1/4 and a shade more than 4 1/4

5. Principle

Principle Senior member

[​IMG] translation anyone?

1 person likes this.
  6. Nobleprofessor

Sounds like 10.5D. That's the best size to find for resale IMO. 11.5C is the worst size to find. They aren't worth anything, just send them to me.

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You look like if Gordon Ramsay and Niall Horan had a kid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Senior member

I have no words.... Thanks, @SpooPoker. I guess!

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Damn you good hair people, you make me sick. [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  10. dukedishin

dukedishin Senior member

If this was at me, I'm keeping it, sorry! And yeah, I'm in the US.

11. Principle

Principle Senior member

[​IMG] first encounter with mainline cashmete

25 people like this.
  12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

:)

13. Nobleprofessor

This is a brag thread. But, sometimes with the good also comes the bad.

I went to an estate sale in what is by far the most expensive neighborhood in Wichita. Most of the homes are $1 Million PLUS. This particular home was 11,000 Sg. Ft. 5 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, indoor pool, owned by a former Oil Man who was known to spend crazy sums of money. I had high expectations.

I continued to have high expectations and got pretty excited when the first thing I see is this:

[​IMG]

It was a massive ornate antique clock. I know nothing about clocks, except it looked expensive and look in the background. Lots of interesting stuff.

That's where the fun ended. The old man died a few years ago and the wife must have gotten rid of nearly everything. No suits, no ties, no shirts, nothing. There was one pair of very nice Lucchese boots, but they were priced at $200 and an old shitty pair of Bostonian shoes for $32!

A huge disapointment.

I did find two bronze sculptures that looked like Remington's. They were signed by Coustou. I asked about the price and they said they were waiting on an appraisal. She thought maybe they were $400 each. I left her a bid for much lower than that.

Here are the same sculptures sold recently on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AFTER-GUILL...124126?hash=item2ee71fea5e:g:gYwAAOSwhcJWI0qz

The pair they had was the exact same pair.

For the stereo electronics guys, they had this. I did not kop because I don't know much about these. I can proxy if someone really wants it.

[​IMG]

I did get an Apres Ski coat that is pretty cool. I don't know yet if its brag or if my 15 year old stepdaughter is going to claim it.

1 person likes this.
  14. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Senior member

At least you can grow a beard, I try and it looks like i haven't washed in a week.

Gordon's a boss, so that's alright.

1 person likes this.
  15. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Since everyone is throwing their comments, I'll do, too. I think this looks good if you were a model or a mannequin or if you are going for that Thom Browne look with those high waters pants. I really really really like double breasted blazers! Too bad I can't pull this off...Another reason why I stopped wearing CM is because the fit has to be on point or you wouldn't look your best.

HOLY SHIT! I literally fucking yelled when I saw this!!! Is it a true 42? If it fits me, I'll hook you up! You don't have to eBay this nomo!!!

Something something tree. Sorry, it's too cursivey for me to read. I've passed on them before. lol

2 people like this.
  16. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Is it just me or does that look like Nataku

2 people like this.
  17. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Senior member

Not sure what it might say but it's the Kauro Betto shirt as worn in The Bug Lebowski

2 people like this.
  18. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

I haven't jaw dropped in this thread in a while. That Flat Head jacket though.

1 person likes this.
  19. Principle

Principle Senior member

Of course, the only Coen brothers movie I haven't seen.

20. vexco

vexco Senior member

...why? I mean, seriously. WHY?!?!

7 people like this.