The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

[​IMG]

2. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Bolgheri is decent.

3. mrcmcklwht

mrcmcklwht Senior member

The Bridge and Giorgio Armani
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

It was dolphinately uncalled for.

5. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Senior member

I found the same make tie the other day. The other tag that says 100% silk hand made in Canada has a CA00952 number I believe. I'm not at home or I'd post a picture

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015

6. Edmonton

Edmonton Well-Known Member

Thank you @Spruce_Moose. I saw that number but didn't know it would be so easy to trace. It leads to Braemore Ties of Toronto.

7. borbor

borbor Senior member

8. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Senior member

Good to know! The tie looked great and was of nice quality and made in Canada to boot so I purchased it lol

How did you trace it as I had no luck doing so?

9. AlexJ1100

AlexJ1100 Senior member

Quite ofinsive if you ask me

Off topic question regarding JCrew and online retailers, so will spoiler, but could use some weighing in if anyone knows
    I've posted on here before about looking for a navy tuxedo for my wedding and so far I haven't run across much. The little I have found is either no where close to the size I need or is a super old/heavy fabric. I'm still looking at buying, as I don't currently own a tuxedo and I see several occasions in the near future where one would be appropriate or necessary. Multiple related questions below.

1. Right now I am looking at the one on JCrew's website. At retail it will cost just around $800. Obviously most people are here because they don't like paying retail but does that seem a bit steep for JCrew? I've tried on a few of their suits before, and while they are nice, I don't know if they are that nice. Maybe their tuxedo line is better? Or is it just the name brand mark up? I am still relatively new to the finer clothes world so my opinions may be unjustified.

2. If I go that route, does anyone know if they ever run sales on their entire stock? Most of the sales they continually run exclude select merchandise (Alden for JCrew, Tuxedos, some other colab products) Would obviously like to catch on sale if possible. Don't know if they run any specials on that product line around the holidays?

3. Another option would be sort of the "up and coming" online retailers like Suit Supply or similar. Seems like the price could go down with one of them, but I've never bought from them before so I refer to quality. Anyone have positive/negative experience?
    Sorry for the derailment and I appreciate any help!

10. borbor

borbor Senior member

when is the wedding.

jcrew and suit supply....i thought i was on fucking reddit for a second there.

11. turkey_sandwich

turkey_sandwich Senior member

@AlexJ1100
    Students get 15% discount on everything with a valid ID. Got the discount on my cap toe boots, so no products excluded. Edit: at J. Crew.

12. AlexJ1100

AlexJ1100 Senior member

Never been on reddit so not sure if that is a dig/criticism of some kind, but its in May

@turkey_sandwich Good to know! Recent grad but I think I've still got my ID laying around.

13. Edmonton

Edmonton Well-Known Member

Government of Canada Competition Bureau "Search for a CA Identification Number". The 00952 gave me a parent company name and Google led me to Braemore. The Canadian site also has a link to the U.S. FTC to search by RN number. Can't wait to get home to check another mystery tie I have.

14. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Others have said 2 of the YSL's you're looking for so no need to repeat, however there was a time post Tom Ford, Pre- Hedi Slimane, when Stefano Pilati removed the Rive Gauche from the white tags and just had the YSL tag with a smaller made in Italy/France tag under it that is slim and elongated and same width as the YSL tag, kinda looks like a Robert Geller tag, these too is worthy of pick ups, high end YSL. Looks like this except I couldn't find a image of one without with the Rive Gauche on the tag.
    [​IMG]

15. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Has brioni ever made coats for lanvin?