1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

That is incredible! Amazing repurpose of HT!

Another fascinating thing about this picture is how completely different @TheNeedMachine looks from what I pictured. Its funny on an online forum how you get a mental picture of someone and the reality is either almost completely accurate or completely wrong.

Here is a picture of my wife and me at our wedding about 18 months ago. I don't know whether this fits into anyone's mental image or not. It was super freaking hot that day and that seersucker suits looks wrinkled and the pants weren't really that long. I think it was just my posture.

[​IMG]

Its also a semi Thrift fit pic for both of us.

Me:

MTM Seersucker suit (gift from Dad)
    Thrifted BB Shirt
    Thrifted BB Pindot Tie
    White Bucks Thrifted by AAAC member and purchased by me at BIG discount
    Sky Blue Pantherella Sky Blue Socks E-thrift

Even my vintage ring was an E-thrift at a HUGE discount versus new or to have a vintage ring reproduced.

Here's a little better view of the seersucker that I think I posted before. But, what the heck it is just context:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    14 people like this.
  2. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Senior member

You two look great. She looks beautiful and you look quite handsome yourself, what more could you ask for? Bonus points for the thrift fit!

1 person likes this.
  3. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Hey guys is this main line loro.i have never seen script like that on lining before.or is it bespoke with just cloth.no tags what soever.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  4. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

5. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Certainly a decent bike in good condition. A step above what you would normally find out there. Frame would make a nice commuter bike. I always look at the frame first and consider it over everything else; it's the heart of the bike. The components are nothing special but are easy to swap out, particularly if you have donor bikes or parts lying around. The frame is made of True Temper steel (bike is probably made in USA), lugged, and the dropouts looked to be forged.

These are some of the basic indicators of frame quality that I look for. These are easy to spot.

Forged vs stamped dropouts (note the difference, signal of quality)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Lugged construction (first image is of the lugs that are used to join the frame tubes together) - this is how nice steel bikes are made. A lower quality steel frame will not have lugged construction.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another similar indicator is the nice fork crown. Again, note the difference between the two.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. TJGent87

TJGent87 Senior member

[@impuntura check inside the pockets you should see the maker tag in there, most likely that's just the fabric; Also those buttons look a little off to be LP Main line.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

1989 model Le Tour?

http://bikecatalogs.org/SCHWINN/MODELS/Le Tour.html

A decent bike for sure, but possibly not compatible with newer components. This was a seven speed group. Check the rear hub spacing, as the frame may only be compatible with six and seven speed components.

That said, if it works and is in the condition it appears to be in, it's definitely usable/sellable.

8. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Like i said no tags.pocket or otherwise

9. dukedishin

dukedishin Senior member

@impuntura i would take the position that it's just cloth. seeing the Lanificio on the lining reinforces that for me.

1 person likes this.
  10. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Heh - that ain't me...pic is from an online forum, and I thought the hoodie was cool / would probably buy if someone made them.

3 people like this.
  11. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

I would guess the same. I haven't seen the 'Ing Loro Piana' cloth tag on mainine LP pieces, because I imagine it's sort of assumed they'd use their own cloth. Just my guess.

12. Nobleprofessor

It had two gears in front and 5 in the back. Isn't that a ten speed? I don't want it, I don't know enough about these to buy it to sell myself. But, if someone else wanted it, I could help. Price was about $100, but they have discount days coming up.

13. 330CK

330CK Senior member

31 people like this.
  14. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

15. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I probably would only buy if it was in pristine condition. There's definitely a market for old ten speeds.

Interesting that it only has a 2x5 setup. The paint job matches the '89 model, which would have come with 2x7 or 3x7. I suppose someone could have bought the frame at some point and added their own components.

16. eazye

eazye Senior member

I found a LP bespoke suit a few years back with that exact green tag on it. Also had the inner LP tags too, so.....

17. Nobleprofessor

4 people like this.
  18. 330CK

330CK Senior member

This called for a celebratory lunch

[​IMG]

@ridethecliche can attest to how good this place is

7 people like this.
  19. Tradvocate

Tradvocate Senior member

1 person likes this.
  20. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

From my very limited experience and research, it seems like it's all about styling with vintage furs. People don't want the dated looking stuff.