The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

+1 the new set up looks great.

2. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

PM from @SpooPoker in 3, 2, 1...

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Thanks guys. Just mostly use it for long items, since they never fit well in the photo booth.

The downside to the setup, is that if it is too sunny, or too cloudy, or night time.....it is worthless.

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

5. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

Thrift Claus

Actually enjoy the suspense of not knowing what will show up. Thought I would just make you work to figure out what to send but
    that is cruel unusual punishment.

I wear suits most days during the week and jeans and short sleeve polo shirts otherwise. Have a few Pendletons and a Filson shirt to serve as a jacket in the winter. It doesn't really ever get very cold down her near the Gulf, so winter stuff is not my bag, although its great to pull out the tweed jacket once in a while.

Have been losing some weight lately which is great so my current wardrobe is trending out the door. (goodbye pleated Zanellas you have served your time). So most helpful would be a khaki or other flat front dress pant. Anything around a 35 waist and 30 inseam would be great. Am getting bored of pleats! Accordingly, need shorter belts.

Anything that you are able to thrift that you would like to share would be great. Thanks in advance!

6. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

So Wes on sunny days is like....Honey..can't go for a walk, have to stay inside and take pictures!

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

No, sunny days are basically no good. Needs to be the perfect overcast, but bright day. A snow day would probably be perfect.

8. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

wes - how many rolling racks do you own? with how many overcoats you have, I can't even imagine how many you'd need. I'm assuming you stockpile throughout the year so August/Sept have to be kind of insane, right?

9. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Have you thought about getting one or two big standing reflector panels to help throw some diffuse light back on the mannequin? I don't know if it'd solve the sunny day issue, but it should boost the light hitting the clothes. Which might be enough to let you shoot on dimmer days and when the sun is on the other side of the house.

Not a photography expert, just thinking.

10. Versace Guy

Versace Guy Senior member

The other ones I understand, but Hermes? That is the one that I always heard chicks talking about.

11. mistermidwester

mistermidwester Senior member

Vinyl-heads.... Thriftening is happening to me.

Deets soonish.

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

racks?
    Rolling: 2 double 6' racks and 5 single 6' racks. So 54 linear feet of mobile racks.
    Plus: Another 46 linear feet of wall mounted rack space.

Yeah, I stockpile them year round. The ones today were actually the last of my outerwear backlog. I had roughly 18' of them, packed tight, when I started breaking them out a few weeks ago.

Will find more tomorrow though.

I've though about it a little, but I have got plenty of other items to shoot when the weather is different, so its not a huge deal.

Here's a view of the entire outerwear photo nook. I get decent reflective light off the opposite wall. It's also where I sit every evening and watch the sunset while I play my guitar.

[​IMG]

Told this before but....

Capnwes Fun Fact #217
    I thrifted my first Hermes tie accidentally. I saw the little buggy on the keeper label and literally thought it was Amish made.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015

13. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

You have to hang out with a certain kind of female for Hermes to come up in conversation. I only knew one who would talk about it until a few years ago. And she was the one who corrected my pronunciation.

14. Principle

Principle Senior member

[​IMG]
    9.5D Edmonds Vernon
    [​IMG]
    Retro Citizen Chonograph

15. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

Originally Posted by capnwes [​IMG]

Capnwes Fun Fact #2873

Until about 4 years ago I had never seen or even heard of the following:

Nordstrom
    Neiman Marcus
    Brooks Brothers
    Zegna
    Loro Piana
    Isaia
    Brioni
    Hermes
    Kiton
    and so many more

I had however heard of the following:

Sears
    Boscovs
    JC Penneys
    Hechts
    and Macys (though we never had one)

Growing up we were the lower middle class kids in the rich kid school district. My mother wanted us to go to the best schools which just happened to be where the wealthy kids went to school. So, I had heard of Brooks Brothers, Nordstrom, Hermes, etc. But, its only been since I have been interested in thrifting that I heard of Zegna, Kiton, Brioni.

When I was a kid (1980's) the rich kids just wore Izod/Lacoste and then Polo. There was a local independent men's store that carried labels/brands like Hickey Freeman and Brooks Brothers. But, if I was getting clothes it was going to be hand me downs from cousins or from Montgomery Wards, Sears, JC Penny or Venture.

In grade school, getting a pair of Nike's was my mother's motivator for a certain number of A's and B's. But, they were always the canvas version. We couldn't afford leather. I remember seeing a girl in High School that had a Louis Vuitton purse and I thought it was goofy looking with all the weirdly designed initials on it.