1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. jajordan378

jajordan378 Senior member

Are you interested in moving the RL fair isle hooded sweater? Sent you a pm
    One estate sale, one thrift. Only like 5 pieces of the below came from the thrift though. Everything except for one of the furs and the LV bag was $3.99 or less. Both the furs, both the gloves, and the LV bag are NA. was a pretty sick day. I walked in the house and saw a Burberry jacket and said meh. Then I saw the guys tie rack, literally looked at 5 ties and shoved the whole thing in my bag. I didn't know what I bought until I got home. Thrift roulette :lol: every single polo suit and jacket is Corneliani.

2. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

No Kitons, Brionis, Saviles, or Purple Stuff, but I have to say I had a pretty good day/week. (Most from today, except a couple of the shirts. All true thrift.)

Suits. 2/3 reunited orphans
    [​IMG]

Double minty cash.
    [​IMG]

I spotted the Yohji in another shopper's hand (who kindly aided on my fruitless quest to reunite a Paul Stuart orphan). I made a desperate scramble through the shirt racks at 8:59 PM to discover that he had returned it.
    [​IMG]

All flat-front, except the Marshall Fields flannel (which are for me).
    [​IMG]

Somewhat unimpressive tie haul, considering the above.
    [​IMG]

Finally... biker folk, passed on this. Did I make a mistake?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    6 people like this.
  3. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Yep, Kooks Co. is Takahiro Miyashita's company. Did you find any The Soloist stuff? I would camp the shit out of that store you got those from!

This is an epic haul! Wait, are you @silverwarebandit in disguise?
    Shit, I might have pass on that jacket without even looking at the tag! It's crazy how many company Caruso made for. Jompso just confirmed they use to make for Dior.
    I've passed on a few of similar looking labels. I think they were just using some generic Italian company to make their pants. They were nwt, too.

Fuck, bro! Leave some for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thanks for being persistent :) PM replied.

Sup crue?!

5. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Morning Spoo.

1 person likes this.
  6. Edmonton

Edmonton Well-Known Member

I had a lot of fun thrifting today. Let me tell you my story.

First stop, VV#1. Found my first Burberry suit, tailored in their Chicago location. Tried the navy pinstripe 3-button on, but it was ever so slightly too big in the shoulders. Just as well, as I think I would have only felt comfortable wearing it on the set of "The Mask" or maybe "Who Killed Roger Rabbit". Didn't stop me from admiring it in the fitting room.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Second stop, GW#1. Tried on a pair of silk PJ's (never owned them before). Enjoyed the feel but tears in one pit and in the crotch spoiled it. Didn't find anything else until I was about to leave but realized I hadn't looked at outerwear. Found this. It has two tags but no maker or materials info. I'm assuming it is Canadian military issue. Weighs about 5 pounds. I can feel down through the lining, pretty sure the hood liner is wool and the fur is real. My new "Below 40 Below Friggin' Cold" coat.
    [​IMG]
    Tag in both official languages.
    [​IMG]
    Highly secure buttons.
    [​IMG]
    Zipper neary as large as my index finger.
    [​IMG]
    Another tag inside one pocket; not sure what it shows.
    [​IMG]
    Third stop, GW #2. The Samuelsohn doeskin was still there and it fits me pretty well. Now, what to pair with it?
    [​IMG]

Same stop, found this bespoke suit, and it fits! Made for the creator of a local custom made menswear company, www.suitsbycurtiseliot.com. I'm contacting him to learn which materials were used here.
    Soft pink pinstripe, pink buttonholes and gorgeous diamond pattern lining.
    [​IMG]
    No tags whatsoever, but custom made for a local tailor.
    [​IMG]

Last stop, VV#2. 15 minutes before closing. Checked shoes, overcoats, suits and SCs. Tried on a couple of Harris Tweeds but neither fit. No real grails tonight, but enjoyed myself nonetheless.

11 people like this.
  7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Im glad you had fun man, and you kopped some good stuff for yourself. Thats what this is all about. Welcome to the thread.

2 people like this.
  8. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Sup? Been out of action for a minute, soon to make a comeback.

3 people like this.
  9. Letric

Letric Senior member

Beams and 45rpm are good, right?

7 people like this.
  10. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

I had a lot of fun thrifting today.  Let me tell you my story.

Second stop, GW#1.  Tried on a pair of silk PJ's (never owned them before).  Enjoyed the feel but tears in one pit and in the crotch spoiled it.  Didn't find anything else until I was about to leave but realized I hadn't looked at outerwear.  Found this.  It has two tags but no maker or materials info.  I'm assuming it is Canadian military issue.  Weighs about 5 pounds.  I can feel down through the lining, pretty sure the hood liner is wool and the fur is real.  My new "Below 40 Below Friggin' Cold" coat.

Just spit my coffee...You did what?

1 person likes this.
  11. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

Second pair of Church's shoes this week.

Harrow Tassel Loafers and they look like they've only been worn a handful of times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On Monday I got a pair of Church's Consuls, and they're also in great shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other interesting items are Hiltl cords which look almost new, and a pair of slim fit, low rise Gucci trousers. Gucci Riding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15 people like this.
  12. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Senior member

[​IMG]

Anybody recognize these? I can't see any makers details inside, but they're boss as hell.

There's also a vintage Hermes women's blazer in there for 50 clams... tempting to flip. But I don't know.

13. mrcmcklwht

mrcmcklwht Senior member

Baron leather garment bag, and a better pic of the Diors from the other day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  15. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Senior member

Happy Birthday!!!

3 people like this.
  16. MeachamLake

MeachamLake Senior member

@Odradek those are some sweet shoes. Beautiful.

Any other UK members NEVER find any shoes at all? I've scoured many many charity shops and vintage stores and nobody stocks shoes, let alone any high quality ones. Do we just culturally throw them away? Part of me guesses that because the weather is so bad here, most decent shoes will be destroyed and thus thrown away. Shame.

By the way - does Orvis stuff actually sell? I've come across quite a few casual jackets in my time but never bothered. There's a pretty nice Harrington jacket in one of the local shops right now.

17. Purplelabel

I've seen a pair of Gucci loafers in a vintage shop before; but they had the GG print all over. I'll pass.

[​IMG]

18. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Sorry, I suppose it could just be a bad angle, but I think those ostrich loafers are ugly as hell. I think its the hardware doing it.

2 people like this.
  19. Denton

Denton Senior member

I say yes as Volvo and Cannondale are long since split, I'll typically grab sponsored team jerseys like that...you'd be surprised.

Ugh, not a Cannondale fan but Styleforum's resident Volvo guy, would love to find that and wear it riding my Santa Cruz!

Deets on that EZ striped shirt?

20. Purplelabel

Ostrich? Is it ostrich?