1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Boy, Have I got a house for you.

7 people like this.
  2. dukedishin

dukedishin Senior member

3. vexco

vexco Senior member

Rest of stuff from today. All available. Apologies for the glut of pictures.

Timberland Boot Co(10), Alden shortwing shells(10.5), AE orthotics

[​IMG]

Brioni Roman Style Suit? Legit check pls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JAB patchwork madras SC. Vent still basted. 48R

[​IMG]

Armani Collezioni wool cardigan. XL

[​IMG]

Norman Hilton staple navy SC. 44R

[​IMG]

Unstructured Boss SC. Usually don't pick it up but this thing is nice. 42R

[​IMG]

2 x Zegna, T&A barrel cuff, Mischka

[​IMG]

Canali dual vent, J. Crew moon tweed(40R)

[​IMG]

Hickey Freeman Sport 100% cashmere cable knit. Large

[​IMG]

Marmot shell(Men's L), Marmot shell(Women's S), kids Mountain Hardwear puffer.

[​IMG]

A first for me. Mabitex chocolate cords.

[​IMG]

@Nataku or @Fueco This is the North Face I want, yes?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11 people like this.
  4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Brioni is old but real.

5. vexco

vexco Senior member

Thanks dude, a first for me in that case.

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Sorry man, but not super valuable. Probably mid 80's. There are exceptions and I may be wrong here, but my observation is that with TNF clothing, it has to either be from the 70's or recent to be worth picking up for resale.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  7. vexco

vexco Senior member

It's all good, thanks dude. Just saw the brown label and thought that's what I was looking for. Will keep that in mind for next time.

8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Can you see the date on the back of the GoreTex tag? I think that's the second generation one, so likely 83-85. I've done pretty well with super early GoreTex shells (1981-2).

9. vexco

vexco Senior member

'84, I think.

10. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Teak dining set complete with six chairs.full length teak mirror.and somebody threw out this awesome vintage drafting table by the dumpster by my storage which is exactly what i needed for working on projects using a workbench.
    [​IMG]

25 people like this.
  11. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Few highlights from the last few days...

Is it John Ashford? Is it Alan Flusser? No... it's actually the real thing... first time I've seen it in Cleveland.
    [​IMG]

Missing keeper label. Glad I looked closer.
    [​IMG]

Minty PRL 100% silk
    [​IMG]

Vintage (70s?) Orvis
    [​IMG]

Not true thrift, but $80 AE McGregors from Burlington (hat tip to whoever posted that a few weeks ago). I've desperately been looking to fill in the gap in my wardrobe between sneakers and dress shoes. This saved me from caving and buying boat shoes or blucher mocs.
    [​IMG]

No idea what this thing is (other than a "riding shirt"), and no idea how long I'll have to sit on it, but I know it retails for $295 and still has the tags on it, so I kopped. Anyone know a size 4 equestrian?
    [​IMG]

Finally, no photos yet, but picked up another Astor & Black Scabal suit. Had to leave another behind due to stains.

... and now, without further ado, the blooper reel:

Are you allowed to buy consonants?
    [​IMG]

Got excited... never find shoes...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is Moto Polo a thing here now?
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  12. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

I had a whole Broyhill Brasilia bedroom set I dumped on Craigslist when I moved for less than $200. (I paid less than $100 for it, so I guess that's not too bad.) Don't know how much that stuff fetches, but I wish I knew then what I know now.

I also have an anonymous Danish modern loveseat that needs to be fixed. (The back separated, and I either need to reupholster the cushions or just get new ones made.) No pics, but it's a really beautiful piece (except the vinyl cushions), like something Crate & Barrel would knock off and charge $1k+ for.

Do you have any recommendations for finding a good furniture repair shop that won't ruin vintage stuff?

13. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

For future reference, never buy something just because it is NWT's. Also in eBay terms, that would make that item, when NWT's, have a resale value of only roughly 80 or so bucks for you now. And on top of that you have something you don't know anything about and purchased knowing you may be sitting on it. Add this one to the you thrift and you learn list.

1 person likes this.
  14. noob15

noob15 Senior member

@VanVeen

adieu = goodbye
    ado = heightened fuss or concern

Nice haul dude

15. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

I researched it quite a bit before purchasing, and paid less than a cup of coffee for it. Comfortable risking that much for potential 40x return. The issue is that it's a niche item, so I might have to sit on it for a while.

I know this... I dieu. Too much wine.

1 person likes this.
  16. noob15

noob15 Senior member

@VanVeen [​IMG]

Well done.

17. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Oh, when you stated "I have no idea what this thing is" it kinda gave off the impression that you had no idea real idea what it is, not that you researched it. Either way though, don't cop stuff just cuz it's NWT's in future cuz that doesn't always translate into high profits, and it's best to keep the limited space to stock piling the inventory your sitting on and waiting to sell for high, not waiting to find a buyer at all.

18. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Yeah, that was a bit of hyperbole. I have to get over the emotional aspect, I realize this. Trying to force myself to stick to stuff I know will sell, but sometimes the little devil on my shoulder gets his way.

19. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

200 for the whole set?
    Thats bad...very bad .i sold just the tallboy dresser for 600 once.that set is gorgeous and quite rare not to mention heavy as fuck.
    If you had both dressers and niggtstands you could have been looking at two grand easy.
    As far as fixing look up the most popular shop in your city anf ask them they will suggest soneone for you thats how i found my guy

20. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Sorry, not the whole set... exaggerating again. I had 2 dressers and the bed/headboard I think. Oh well, that was 5 1/2 years ago now. As you said it was heavy as fuck and in the midst of the chaos of moving to a new city and moving in with my now-wife, I was just happy to have someone pick it up and not have to lift a finger.