Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. suited

suited Senior member

We had Dillards in Ohio as well. Ours was a slightly more upscale version of Macy's, but certainly nothing like Nordstrom.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015

2. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

I don't care if it was said already, @SpooPoker , happy birthday man. As a model to this community, I hope your day was amazing.

Your sneakers will be on their way soon, I keep saying that, I know, but I promise.

3. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

You are referring to the "L" (or "El"). There is no reason to get off the Orange Line between Midway and the Loop AFAIK.

4. vexco

vexco Senior member

I'll second everyone else. Happy birthday, @SpooPoker

5. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

6. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Based on what Takai has posted, there is plenty of money and lots of people in the entertainment business in Nashville. I would expect that they would dress better than the good people of Lafeyette and Champaign, who are probably more representative of American fashion sense.

7. colorvision

colorvision Senior member

Johnston's of Elgin cashmere scarf

[​IMG]

Normally wouldn't pick up random cashmere scarf, but this one felt pretty nice, and I thought it would be a great fu complement to the shirt below. Silverhooks, but still <10% retail.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interesting Givenchy scarf

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thrift fit - these are the shoulders I'm looking for.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Feliz cumpleanos para spoo

8. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Sorry, been away from the computer for a few days. Catching up on the thread. Yes! That is the tiger stripe you are looking for! You're looking at good $$$! Do you have some pictures in better lighting? There are several different colorways and IDing which one it is that will help you a lot in selling it. http://camopedia.org/index.php?title=Tiger_stripe John Wayne pattern is the most common and still pretty valuable.
    Awesome find! I'd say 50's but hard to really pinpoint a date on these lesser-known makers. Mostly just going by label and font style/trends. By the way, Happy Birthday, Spoo! .
    Sorry man, can't help ya. I am pretty lost when it comes to foreign military stuff. Since everyone else is doing it:
    I'm really into vintage and throwback workwear/heritage stuff. Five Brother, Carters, LVC, RRL, Red Wing, Filson, etc. Something really old with great patina is something I always am after. I do have a great appreciation for tailored clothing but honestly, living in Minnesota where hardly anyone dresses nicely, I rarely wear suits or sportcoats. With that said, I've been after a bold patterned ("FU") sportcoat for awhile now. Would be nice to have in the arsenal for date-night at a nice restaurant or something. I am also into 60's hippie/counterculture stuff. Black light posters, underground comix, records (late 60's-early 70's psychedelic, prog and blues rock. John Mayall, Savoy Brown, Jethro Tull, Moby Grape, Jefferson Airplane, etc), and so on. I also sell on eBay as my full time job, so eBay fodder is great too.

9. dukedishin

dukedishin Senior member

Not just Nashville though, pretty much all over down here. I live in what could be considered a suburb about 40 minutes away and am one of the few in the music business actually living here. Go further out into Chattanooga, Knoxville, etc I still see people considerably better dressed than Champaign or Lafayette, each having over 120,000 people and major universities so not like the boondocks or anything.

And again, I'm not disputing whether being poorly dressed is representative of American culture at large.

10. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

I was actually just taking some better pics, I'm lost when it comes to Camo but thought i remembered this being something good from your guide you posted a while back. THANK YOU!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

12. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

13. bpk1

bpk1 Senior member

Happy Birthday @SpooPoker!

:cheers:

14. Woofa

Woofa Senior member

As per the cremieux conversation earlier I wanted to get you this picture. These are three ties I am going to be getting for Christmas this year (don't tell ms. Woofa I snuck this photo but I picked them out so I know what I am getting.)
    [​IMG]
    Three hand made in Italy grenadines and we got them at the dillards clearance center for half off the $42 sales tag.
    Before I found thrifting I used to get all my clothes there. Still get presents for my dad and things I would not get used. It is hit or miss but when you hit it right, like the ties, some pretty good deals.
    Also regarding the cremieux signature line I think there's some good value there. I have about a half dozen signature cashmere sweaters I got for about 10% of retail over the years that are my winter staples.

15. dukedishin

dukedishin Senior member

i wouldn't mind those DC signature grens or their cashmere sweaters. very decent and can't beat those prices.