1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Fueco

Fueco Distinguished Member

Shit clothing sells because that's what people want to wear, and they insist on shopping at Walmart.

Leave them be and worry about yourselves.

On the topic though... People here tend to dress better than back in the Bay Area, but that may just be because I'm closer to downtown and the local university than I was in the San Jose metro area. I see a lot of nicely dressed college kids. Of course, there are also plenty of Wranglers, cowboy boots and plaid shirts. The nearest working farm to my house is less than a quarter mile away, after all...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015

2. jamesmkeart

jamesmkeart Senior Member

I live in a city near Milwaukee and I've found kiton, loro piana, brioni, chipp ect. I think you need some wealth and less people hunting for the items. I'd say Chicago has better dressed people than Wisconsin but I live in a wealthier area and have 7 thrift stores within 20 minutes which I'd prefer to being in downtown Chicago that has 2.

3. dukedishin

dukedishin Distinguished Member

I'm in Nashville, my parents are in Lafyette/West Lafayette, IN, in-laws are in Champaign, IL.

Amen.

This is definitely true, I'm talking about ratios though. Ratio of nicely dressed to poorly dressed is much higher here.

Agree with this, that's why I said I don't really care what people wear. It's just interesting to notice how much it can vary.

4. rhz5001

rhz5001 Senior Member

Need help on these Oakley sunglasses. They kind of remind me me of the Fives I own, but not full frame. Also model is not listed on frame. They looks legit to me, but stuck on model.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Fueco

Fueco Distinguished Member

They sort of look like Half Jackets, though the earpiece may not quite be right.

6. borbor

borbor Senior Member

7. Doomsticks

Doomsticks Senior Member

If a pair of levis 501 big E has this caretag, is it LVC?

[​IMG]

8. drlivingston

drlivingston Distinguished Member

Plenty of 7-folds...

9. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Distinguished Member

yes lvc 555 San fran

10. Principle

Principle Senior Member

PRL cinch back made in USA chinos a thing?

11. Doomsticks

Doomsticks Senior Member

Aye figured out as much.. Oh well for a second there I thought I had struck gold:)
    Thx for the help

12. Kazoo

Kazoo Senior Member

Haven't posted in a while. Nothing crazy to rave about lately until this past weekend.

Picked up ~30 ties. A nice set of trad ties, a Ferregamo, a Zegna and then, I believe, a local Jos A Bank's dumped off a bunch of new ties - grabbed 16

[​IMG]

Does anyone seem to collect "fancy" hangers? Not really trying, I've built up a collection for my personal suits/jackets. I've been able to snag J. Press, Samuelsohn, Brooks Brothers, Polo Ralph, H Freeman & Sons, Hickey Freeman. Most stores let me have them for nothing or charged like 50 cents.

13. OolongT

OolongT Senior Member

14. Mr G from SD

Mr G from SD Senior Member

Places are strict with hangers around here. The few times I've seen ones I wanted I had to beg for them to sell them to me for a dollar.

It's frustrating that that they aren't supposed to sell them because they have so many. Much more than they need, i'm sure.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015

15. Woofa

Woofa Senior Member

I see them a bit here as Dillard's has a strong presence. In general, the Cremieux signature stuff is pretty decent (Isaia makes the high level suits although I have yet to thrift one.) The nicer seven folds made in limited edition are pretty nice and SPOO has done well selling a few of mine but we are not talking Brioni/Hermes. I hate leaving a seven fold no matter the maker. Nice for personal use. I have a few un-tipped grenadines I bought at the Dillards outlet for about 15 bucks a piece, they seem to be good quality for that price, made in Italy.