1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. noob15

noob15 Senior member

This x 100!

Before I even said a word in here I spent days reading the old thread trying to learn more than what I knew. Not only that, but when you didn't get glowing accolades on your first post you got combative and defensive.

Read a lot, talk a little and try to contribute. Remember that many of the posters on this thread not only make a decent living at this, but also act as mentors for many others and try to imagine how wearing that can become after a little bit. Think of this thread as a way for people to chill after a hard day's work and you'll see why sometimes people can be short fused when you act like someone peed in your Cheerios instead of showering you with gold coins. :)

And this isn't meant to add to the dogpile, it's meant to be constructive criticism.

3 people like this.
  2. vexco

vexco Senior member

It's not even close to saying "Fuck you noob, I had to do it, so should you". Look at his responses, he's acting appalled that he would get some sort of backlash(and not from me) for asking questions when, if you think about how long this thread has been going on, have been answered probably 100's of times. I have no issues with the guy but he got super defensive from the jump. This thread is far from insular and we've had SO many new posters even since I've been here. People don't even have to read the entire thread but hell, spend a couple of weeks just keeping up with the thread and you'll learn a ton just from seeing what other people pick up. He received helpful answers to his questions but I don't think people want to explain, for example, what the good Dior is every day.

2 people like this.
  3. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Speaking of questions, I have one.

Found a few Hermes ties the other day and two of them have that classic "roll" that happens with Hermes ties after a while. Has anyone figured out the best way to get rid of that roll? I tried laying it flat between some heavy blankets for a few days and that did nothing. Is gentle ironing between some towels the best way to go? I don't trust my dry cleaner to not press them flat.

4. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I would try gentle ironing between towels. It's worked for me.

2 people like this.
  5. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

6. vexco

vexco Senior member

Haha, that's probably true but this thread wouldn't be nearly as fun without those people!

In reality, if any new poster has any questions, feel free to PM me. I've extended this offer to plenty of people before. I don't know everything but I know quite a bit.

5 people like this.
  7. eazye

eazye Senior member

And let's not forget that this is an elitist thread. Not in the sense of people's attitudes, but of the content that gets posted here. It's the best of the best, the cream of the crop, whether that be outdoor gear, classic menswear or streetwear and denim. Yea, you are free to post your shitty shoes and licensed Dior if that's what you're into, but don't be mad when you get called out on it, especially after people tried to point you in the right direction and in a nice manner I might add. Nobody want's to see that shit. Why? Because we've seen and passed on it 1000's of times in thrift stores.

6 people like this.
  8. MikeChevelle

MikeChevelle Well-Known Member

Last thing I will say on this. I got defensive because I was told my stuff was shit and I needed to spend time researching why. Its one thing to snub someones shit but a better response is to explain why.

There have been plenty of helpful people so far and I am thankful for that, but others have been quite rude when a simple, expanded answer would have went a lot further.

9. MikeChevelle

I think Ill just make a new user name and start over LOL

10. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Probably for the best lol Honestly send me a PM if you ever have any questions. I will send you off to ebay results if its a question that you could figure out yourself. But other than that Im, and a lot of other people, are here to help.

CP

1 person likes this.
  11. Ds13

Ds13 Senior member

This.

No one wants to see mountains of shit posted, otherwise none of us would be here reading this thread. I come to see grails that were bought for pennies on the dollar and to be able to talk about it with people who understand this hobby/job.

That's my one post about this topic and I'm not pointing this at one person in particular, more at new people in general. If that makes me a dick, then so be it.

7 people like this.
  12. eazye

eazye Senior member

Dude, you got offered plenty of good advice, got defensive, blah blah blah opinions, blah blah blah I'm going to buy what I want and then immediately posted a Dior coat. I mean, come on. The situation is really hilarious. It's like the Dior coat was adding shit fuel to the shit fire. :D Anyhoo, I hope this was a good learning experience for you, I honestly mean that. Now get to reading! :happy:

1 person likes this.
  13. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Lovin' the thrifting life so far today. Four stores down, and already found some personal grails (you of course can read that as Patagonia and Filson). Good times in the big city.

8 people like this.
  14. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

That makes zero sense. Filing forum bankruptcy will not erase anything. Just pay attention to people who have done this for years. It's a pretty simple directive. We have all bought boneheaded shit at some point. However, if I had known of this forum earlier, I would have saved myself a TON of money. The information is free and priceless at the same time. Until you increase your sartorial knowledge, you will keep getting the same results. It is the very definition of insanity.

15. Chotii

Chotii Senior member

By looking at it, I'd say 1 stitch per hole. A very easy fix even with simple red sewing thread and not actual re-knitting, but it makes me worry whether the sweater has moth nibbles. The first time you wash or dry clean, if it's moth nibbles, the thing will disintegrate. The moth larvae saliva dissolves the fibers, or something. I think I would fill the bathtub or a large sink with tepid water and soak the vest until it's saturated. Then lift out, squeeze water out like milking a cow (don't wring), lay it flat between a few towels, and walk on it. Then lay flat on a sweater rack to dry. If more holes don't show up when you check it after it's dry, then you can mend away.

Those two holes can be stabilized (not reknit) using a matching red sewing thread and sort of making a loose hashtag ### across the hole on the inside, actually going through the yarn. Don't pull this tight. You don't want it to look puckered - you want the sewing threads to take the strain rather than the hole unknitting further.

Re-knitting such a fine gauge yarn is doable with very strong reader glasses, a matching red wool thread, and a tapestry needle. If you just want to wear it yourself, though, I would honestly simply stabilize the holes. They won't get larger, and they won't be visible when worn.

3 people like this.
  16. dukedishin

dukedishin Senior member

@MIkesChevelle i also will help you via pm if you need, any question you have. but the posts to this thread on this topic just need to end now. as has been mentioned - not appropriate here.

1 person likes this.
  17. MikeChevelle

Can I at least post my sweatpant and velco shoe collection?

I kid :)

1 person likes this.
  18. eazye

eazye Senior member

[​IMG]

I'll see myself out..... :)

5 people like this.
  19. eddiegreen

eddiegreen Senior member

anyone recognise the makers? no handwriting and insole name has completely worn off. Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]