Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. eazye

eazye Senior member

1, Chicago thrift stores are way too spread apart to take public transportation, walking is out of the question, see no.2
    2. Driving here can be a clusterfuck, hence why SWB and I ride bikes primarily.
    3. It's the murder capitol of the country. Hold onto your giant duffle bag of thrifted grails tightly. See no.4
    4. Anytime you go somewhere expecting grails, you will be very disappointed. Rule # 167 of the thrifters guide.
    5.I've only come across Kiton 3 times in my thrifting life, and I live here.

edit: NP beat me to it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015

2. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

Quote:Thanks Hans and thanks everyone who pledged so far. Owing to your generosity I've already managed to double my target! If you're interested in contributing follow the link Hans posted above. This thing kicks off in less than an hour. A few people asked if I'd be streaming my gameplay, so I took a little time and sorted out a Twitch account. If you're interested in that sort of thing you can check it out at http://www.twitch.tv/futuremyth

3. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Just wanna give a shoutout to Sharpiehs since he mostly just views here,all around great guy to deal with.
    Dont hesitate to deal with him,very good taste and new owner of some Vuitton,Brioni and Sutor Mantelassi.

4. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

Disagree. Been sideswiped parking street side twice with a rental. Didn't have to do anything. For 9 bucks a day, id rather just do it.

There's no car in the world faster than an insured rental.

5. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

I don't know if this is bad form to ask, but what the heck did you trade to get C&J AND BB Shell loafers in return. Hey @SpooPoker we need to trade more if this is your trade bait! Got anymore BB shell and C&J to trade? Ha! If my Secret Thriftmas Santa will look at Spoo's eBay listings, he has a pair of Bostonian Shell shoes in 11.5C. I love shell cordovan and 11.5C happens to be my exact hard to find size.

6. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Dear Secret Santa,

If it's not obvious enough from my 6000+ posts, I do not wear classic menswear. I work from home, so my workwear consists of whatever form of loungewear is appropriate given the season... It's currently 27 degrees outside.

I find so many clothing items on my own, that I'm just going to say it. Don't bother with clothing unless you have come across some really cool piece of vintage outdoors gear like Trailwise, Class-5, Holubar, Camp 7, etc. in a size large. The only regular clothing item I might be interested in is a pair of classic boots of some sort in a 9.5. I tend to prefer lugged soles/hikers in a traditional style leather.

The things I really like are hiking, mountain biking and rock climbing, as well as endurance sports (running, cycling, swimming). I also love craft beer, scotch whisky, good coffee (I have not had Starbucks since I moved and do not intend to go there), and going to movies (we have AMC and Century Theaters nearby).

But yeah, like @SpooPoker said, I'll be happy if some thought is put into it.

7. suited

suited Senior member

Saw my first Enzo. Sorry Spoo, no pic opportunity. It sounded lovely, though. Gun metal gray to boot.

8. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

magnum shirt in my size
    [​IMG]

Old school BB knit tie. Would this be considered garza grossa? It's nice whatever it is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. eazye

eazye Senior member

I don't think anybody can beat what I got last year. Tailoring books from the 1880's are going to be a tough act to follow. [​IMG]

10. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Left a couple items on the racks yesterday because I didn't have phone to check them out and they were priced kind of high: what looked to be early 90s Nike tennis shirt and older Lee chore coat with Storm Rider type lining. Word to the wise: take a newspaper into the bathroom at work instead of your phone. #dontaskmehowiknow

11. Letric

Letric Senior member

I really need to cop one of these in my size for Halloween next year. Already got the White jeans.

[​IMG]

12. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

I need to know

13. Letric

Letric Senior member

I'm guessing he dropped his phone in the shitter. I never remove my phone from my pocket anywhere near open water or large amounts of liquids for that reason.

14. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

pm sent details on where it is.

15. colco

colco Senior member

Thanks for the responses last night. Here is yesterday's haul:

Belvest all linen "jacketinthebox" Eur 48 NWT Triple patch side vented. Dope.

[​IMG]

Belvest all silk NWT jacket in the box. Single vent button through patch pockets. Eur 50. Wish this fucker fit. Sort of in between a light outerwear piece and an sc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015