1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Senior member

Window sounds cool Wes. Is there a thread that shows a tour? I'm all curious now

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Hmm, I could do a video or something. Later though, still in the midst of my regularly scheduled Monday morning shipping explosion.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  3. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Maybe get some vinyl decals made. I'm thinking something like this.

[​IMG]

20 people like this.
  4. eazye

eazye Senior member

First thing that popped into my mind was a flag too, though any kind of hanging artwork would work there. Of course, I'm also on board for vinyl double Macklemore decals.

1 person likes this.
  5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Don't forget it's 3 walls, not just the far wall.

I like the flag as an idea. However, while I am not unpatriotic by any sense of the word, it is not really my taste of decor.

I'm thinking I may hang some of my guitars on the side walls, at reachable heights. I have 20 or so, so that would cover a lot of that area.

6. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Also, the David Bowie news has been hitting me kind of hard this morning. If anyone here has never really listened to Ziggy Stardust, Hunky Dory, Low, Young Americans, etc., type 'David Bowie style' into google image search and hit play on just flip through pictures for a while. The world lost such an incredible being yesterday.

His new album is bizarre and phenomenal also. Glad he got one last full length out.

5 people like this.
  7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

@vexco any recs for getting that style of comfy jogger sweat style pants? I need some for lounging and studying.

Also, the astor and black stuff is awesome. Definitely pick up if it's in your size. My favorite jacket was thrifted and made by them. Almost wanted to message the guy who it was made for on fb to ask if he was getting rid of more lol.

8. ahk11

ahk11 Senior member

Come on now you can't say you have 20 guitars and not give us some deetz!

9. GM-H

GM-H Senior member

Li'l something for everyone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really old Drakes?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few more pics just cuz
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New York Yacht Club tie is a dope find for me
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alden N/A
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24 people like this.
  10. Woofa

Woofa Senior member

Cap Wes

How about a series of photos or fashion magazine covers in frames you thrift.

1 person likes this.
  11. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

Stereotypes are common because they often have a basis in fact. Obviously, I am not suggesting that some really nasty stereotypes are accurate, fair, or should even be repeated. BUT, I think this one is pretty accurate and is not a negative stereotype. My stepdaughter is 15 and likes Plato's a lot. The times I have been in there I have observed exactly what you describe.

12. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

I would still be a thrifter, but if I win several hundred million dollars even after taxes, I'm pretty sure my thrifting would involve buildings. You have to put that money somewhere.

The amazing thing is the number of winners that go broke in no time. There was a story on last night about a guy who won over $315 million. In three years, he lost it all to theft, drugs, and gambling. How the hell does that happen. $315 Million is about $189,000,000 after taxes depending on what state he was in. Even if you went insane and spent $50 Million, you would have $139 Million left!

When I was in College I worked at Dillon's grocery store (a regional chain owned by Kroger). There was a couple that both worked there. He worked in the meat department and she was a checker. He won the state lottery of $2.4 million and decided to take the payout over 25 years. The got about $58,000 a year after taxes from the win. The first year, they bought a new truck and paid off some debt. The following year, they paid off their house. Both continued to work at the grocery store. Instead of going nuts, they had no debt, great savings account and a new truck every few years. I understand $60,000 a year isn't hundreds of millions of dollars, but they sure looked smart doing it that way.

6 people like this.
  13. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

As a 43 year old, I raise a few eyebrows when I walk into our local Plato's. Most of the workers in our two local locations now know that I am a flipper and the eyebrow raising takes on a whole new meaning. At first, the gesture seemed to indicate, "What are you doing in here, old man?" Now, the workers approach me and show me various items that they think I might like. Recent Plato purchases include several pieces of Arc'teryx for $10-15 each and a pair of Alden LHS for $20. It is decidedly more expensive than thrift but, on average, you get a product that is in great condition.

14. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Blackstar is incredible. I dug into it the day it was released and have been looking forward to giving it some extended listenings.

Producer kind of confirmed it was a goodbye album and everybody around him knew something was close. I heard a snippet about Bowie this morning as I got in the car, and I thought it was just a feature-ish piece on Blackstar. Then it turned out it was an obit.

1 person likes this.
  15. bahlsdheep

bahlsdheep Well-Known Member

These guys/girls seem to go broke the same way that professional athletes go broke. It's impossible to spend that much money on yourself, but every single person you've ever encountered in your life comes out of the woodwork and wants you to invest in their project, buy them something, help them out etc...

There is a decent hall of fame reddit that's been kicking around again about this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/...ord_sentence_you_could_hear/chb4v05?context=3

16. dukedishin

dukedishin Senior member

I think common wisdom is, given that the person is disciplined, it's smarter to take the lump sum up front and let your investing take over. Obviously that is a lot more doable with a huge jackpot, but just saying.

I worked at a bank while I was in college and knew a dude who won the lottery twice. Not sure of the exact amount of his prizes, but one resulted in a $50k/yr annuity and the other was like $20k/yr. He and his wife both worked and lived a normal life.

He bought the tickets at the same gas station. Pretty cool.

2 people like this.
  17. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

And with a $600 million lump sum ...

I don't want anybody else earning interest on that but me. Besides, I'd be more apt to do incredibly generous things if it all came at once, and that's what I would definitely want to do. Endow a char at the symphony, kick some money to some of the smaller arts programs around the city, kick some money to my undergrad and grad schools.

18. eazye

eazye Senior member

Yea man, we really lost a great one today. I'd put him in my top 5 favorites of all time, not only for his music, but his contribution to art and fashion in general. On top of that, from what I've read, he was a genuinely nice and down to earth guy. Sad, sad day. "Knowledge comes with death's release", indeed.

On a lighter note, 2016 has been really, really good so far. It's like 3 degrees and snowing today, so I thought I'd start to tackle my backlog. Proper post incoming.
    [​IMG]

19 people like this.
  19. Randomore

Randomore Senior member

If I won, I'd probably take the long term payout too. I wouldn't work but I'd go to school to learn a few skills I would otherwise not afford to learn and invest time into and turn around and fund these crazy ideas while traveling until I die. ex. painting/engineering/directing/musician etc. all while occasionally thrifting cool shit.

4 people like this.
  20. Timmah

Timmah Senior member

Just send me all the 38S / M stuff. That stuff never sells anyways. [​IMG]